Various Questions

Posted by mrfaize 
Various Questions
September 26, 2005 04:17AM
Following a recent visit to NY a few things got me thinking about a few bizzare questions:

The FAO store - is this being renovatated as it didn't seem that big to me but there was a lot of building work around. All we saw was the 'cuddly animal' and another floor of toys. The guys were there with the large floor piano though. Did we miss it elsewhere?

NYFD - anyone know what the various designations mean and how they link together e.g. Ladder xx Engine xx Battalion xx ?

Subway was a great way to get around but the lack of information regarding the next train was a bit rubbish. Other subways around the world often have matrix boards on the platform saying when the next train is due and the destination.

AirCon - notice many of the apartments, hotels etc have these aircon units slotted into a window space. Do these get removed during winter and the windows shut again?

We visited over the Labour Day weekend and for a week there was no sales tax. Is this a regular thing, is there a lsiting and does it apply anywhere else in the US?

Thanks for any answers.

Red
Re: Various Questions
September 26, 2005 06:33AM
I can answer a few of these.

Subway - What's scary is that not even the SUBWAY PEOPLE know where the trains are. Truth! The trains are controlled by relays that haven't been updated since the 1920s and don't provide the information necessary for those "next train ..." boards you see in other cities. The MTA is in the middle of updating a few lines (the L and the G, followed by the 7) with newer relays that would give that kind of info, but they estimate they'll only be able to do one line every 5-7 years, with the first one coming in 2008!

A/C - Yes, that's the theory. In reality, lazy people like myself tend to leave the A/C in because it's heavy.

Sales tax - There are these periodic tax holidays, there's usually one around back-to-school ... they change slightly every year and they're signalled in the newspapers a few weeks before. Since every city, state and county controls its own sales tax in the US and the systems are totally different, I imagine other cities probably do the same, but they don't coordinate with NYC or anything.
September 26, 2005 09:27AM
Sales Tax - Red, NYC is the only city I have heard of that does the Tax HOliday. Maybe other cities in New York, but I know nothing in California, Colorado, or Michigan which I am pretty familar.
September 26, 2005 09:32AM
Thanks for that. The subway information is a bit scary - one line every 5-7 years!! One thing the NY Subway has that London doesn't is AirCon on the trains. The NY stations can be unbearable (rush hour must be bad) but the London Tube (subway) doesn't AirCon either and they suggest drinking plenty of water and if you feel ill get off the train so it doesn't cause delays!! London osn't as warm as NY but it can get pretty sweaty down there.

Thanks again
Faize
September 26, 2005 09:37AM
A/C - for me it would not be laziness that would keep me from bringing in my a/c unit in winter. It would be FEAR!, that I would drop it on someone below, because they are so heavy and awkward. Once it, it would stay in!
Betoracle
September 26, 2005 11:24AM
If I removed my A/C unit, it would have to sit in the middle of the living room until next summer!
September 26, 2005 11:32AM
OK guys point taken :-) It just looked to the uninitiated that they might be taken in during the cooler months.

What about FAO Schwarz ? Did we miss the BIG store (no pun intended).
September 26, 2005 03:37PM
Myrtle Beach SC does a no tax weekend, I suspect its done in large tourist areas
September 26, 2005 11:48PM
the no tax weekend is regulated by the state. nc and sc's no tax weekend is the first weekend in august and it is only good for items that can qualify as a back to school purchase. its a great time to buy a laptop!
September 27, 2005 02:31AM
re: FAO Swartz, that is the store, I know, I was underwhelmed as well.
September 27, 2005 08:04AM

Marea - you must be joking surely - underwhelmed is an understatement!!

Can anyone else confirm "THIS IS IT!" If so you should really see Hamley's on Regents Street London, UK. It must be five or six times bigger than FAO.

Marea
September 27, 2005 08:16AM
I haven't been to Hamley's but comparing it to the amazing toy store in Harajuku in Tokyo it is definitely underwhelming.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 15