Best restaurants on a budget

Posted by phriedom 
Best restaurants on a budget
March 06, 2007 11:13PM
So I've searched through the answers already posted, and I've checked out the menupages. I gotta tell you nice folks, I'm a little overwhelmed.

I'm coming to town Saturday, staying till Thurs. I refuse to eat in chains. Seriously, I can eat Applebee's at home.

I want quirky, affordable, semi-casual local places. Carnegie deli is on my list, as is the yummi cuban place near times square. I'd love a good steak one night, maybe lobster a couple days later. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!
Re: Best restaurants on a budget
March 07, 2007 04:57AM
I recall last time I was there, there was a rather decent little mexican type place just a couple of blocks South of the Empire State Building, more a fast food type place but food cooked to order, went a couple of times and it was very good value
March 07, 2007 05:54PM
[nymag.com]

take a look at this. It will give you some ideas. There are so many good places which are affordable, you won't have trouble finding something.
one good place I can suggest is "Max", for simple italian food, not expensive, great little place. at 51 avenue B between 3 - 4th St.
can get crowded, so the earlier you go the better.(212) 539-0111
east village

or, Krissi posted the other day:
Cucina de Pesce on 87 E 4th Street
Oracle?
March 07, 2007 08:25PM
Good for you! It's amazing how mediocre food chains stay in business in New York, when there are so many better places. I guess many people would rather eat what's familiar than try something new.

The Carnegie Deli is totally touristy, but the pastrami is wonderful. Enjoy. For Cuban, try La Caridad. It's Cuban-Chinese, which was a popular combination since the Chinese population left Havana along with everyone else who could, back in '59-'60. (There was a large Chinatown in Havana.) Anyway, there used to be zillions of these places, and Caridad is one of the few remaining. I would not recommend the Chinese side of the menu, but the Cuban is fine. Personally, I like it better than Victor's in the theater district. Caridad is on Broadway at 78th St. On weekends (I think it's only on Saturday), they have roasted pork, which is lovely. Also try to steamed yucca with extra garlic. Dinner should set you back around $10-$12.

Another bargain is the Bright Food Shop in Chelsea. They serve Asian-Mexican. The menu is quirky but really good.

Not too many bargains on the steak front. Midtown steakhouses are crazy expensive. I'd recommend Balthazar in SoHo. Yeah, it's touristy, but I have to say their steak frites is wonderful.

And for really cheap, try Gray's Papaya's "Recession Special" -- two incredible hot dogs and a medium drink (go for the papaya) for around $3. No seating though. I like the one on Broadway and 72nd.

Mangia bene!
thanks for all the suggestions! I can't wait to hit the places on your lists
March 21, 2007 04:26AM
Mexican type place I mentioned a block from Empire State is Maui Taco - very tasty, sort of fast foodish but not bad
April 03, 2007 05:32PM
Richard look forward to Maui Taco one day.

Phriedom, if you are still visiting the board, we want to hear all about your trip, and what became your favorite dining experiance.
April 15, 2007 08:12AM
I just posted this in a sushi thread, thought I'd put it here too.

yesterday I heard about a place called Yuka, at 1557 Second Ave between 80th and 81st St. They apparently have an all-you-can-eat deal for $20, and I heard (from a Japanese person, incidentally) that it is really really good, fresh fish. I'm just getting into sushi myself, and I will definately give this place a try.
April 16, 2007 10:09PM
Super cheap in the West Village: Dojo. Menu has a wide variety of stuff, including vegetarian and Asian.
Krissi
April 19, 2007 12:14PM
Also agree that Dojo and Yuka are great.

There's plenty of cheap eats in the East Village, fyi.

If its a great day out, try 35 Cooper Square. It's a VERY cheap Asian-y pub with a really nice garden outside. Also, my fave is Kenka on St. Marks Place between 3rd and 2nd Aves. You can find a lot of cheap eats over in that part of town.
March 30, 2008 08:42AM
[nymag.com]

Pepe Verde in the village is really good italian, went there last night.
It was $25 for two of us!
Try the West Way Dinner on 614 9th Avenue. When i saw how close it was to Times Square, I assumed tourist trap. I was pleasntly dissappointed.

The atmophoshere great, Service Good, and it is classy without being to the point of pretension. The prices are pretty reasonable, and you could literally spend all day reading the menu there are so many food items.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 7