Negotiating rent increases

Posted by NYCchic 
Negotiating rent increases
February 02, 2007 11:21PM
So my new lease is ready for signing. I received the lease with 4.3% increase for the new year. My friend mentioned I should try to talk that down. I love my apartment and really don't want to tick my landlord/management company off and lose the apt. That said the extra 4.3% would mean alot to me and anything I could save would help. Has anyone heard of negotiating increases? I thought it was usually a standard rate that landlords apply to all apartments therefore negotiating seems like a waste of time.
While I am posting I will ask a second question always on my mind. My landlord apparently tried to sell my building late last year. What happens to me if he sells? Is the new landlord under any obligation to keep me as a tenant? Is it standard new landlords keep current tenants (excluding people who buy and turn into condos)? I am rent stabilized so I was told I was okay and the rent controlled apartments are a different story. Any insight would be great! Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 17