New York in June

Posted by Chrys Baker 
New York in June
February 26, 2004 09:51AM
Our son is getting married in Central Park on 18 June. This will be our first visit to New York. We will be there for 6 days. What must we see and do? Just how expensive is eating out in New York? Is Century 21 a really good store for discount shopping? Can we expect it to be hot and humid?
Will be staying at the Wellington - a good location for sight-seeing?
Betty
Re: New York in June
February 26, 2004 10:10AM
Congratulations! Central Park is the most beautiful setting for a wedding, and June is probably our prettiest month.

The Wellington is very convenient, just a couple of blocks from the south end of the park, and an easy walk to midtown attractions -- Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Carnegie Hall. The N/R subway is right outside, and you're also near lots of other public transport.

A few really nice restaurants there, too. My favorite is the Carnegie Deli, just across the street, which I think serves the best pastrami sandwich in the entire world. Cheesecake is pretty good, too. I recommend paying the $3.00 extra to split a sandwich. They'll give you extra bread.

I also like Trattoria del'Arte, which is on 7th Ave. between 56th-57th. Great fried artichokes there. Next door is Redeye Grill, a nice seafood restaurant.

To answer your question, though, eating out can be expensive if you go to top restaurants. Our breakfasts are mostly "on-the-run," that is, a bagel and coffee, or a bit of fruit. You can save on lunch by going to salad bars or coffee shops, then splurge a bit on dinners. But there's a huge range there too. You can dine out for around $20-$30 a person, or easily spend $100 and more.

Century 21 is a popular discount department store downtown, it's right across from the WTC site. There are other big discount stores around the city, too. Many are in Chelsea, along 6th Avenue between 17th-23rd Streets, and Daffy's has locations all over Manhattan.

As for what to see while you're here, well that depends on your interests. Pick up a good guide book and see what interests you. You certainly won't lack for things to do in New York!
February 26, 2004 10:35AM
Hi Chrys,

Great news about the wedding. My girlfriend and I are coming to the city in September to get married in the park. Can I be cheeky and ask how you/your son arranged the minister and ceremony? I live in the UK and trying to find a minister to perform the ceremony is really difficult. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.
February 26, 2004 11:11AM
Have you tried a Justice of the Peace instead of a religious officiant? Might be easier...
Betty
February 26, 2004 11:19AM
How about asking your local minister. He should have access to a global church organization. Or any local Episcopol church.
February 02, 2007 12:29PM
[www.nyweddingclergy.com]

I just found this link and thought I'd post it for future reference for people getting married in new york and who are looking for someone to perform the ceremony. I think I've included enough words here so the search should catch this
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 4