When to look for an apartment?

Posted by Kat 
Kat
When to look for an apartment?
March 02, 2006 11:50AM
My boyfriend and I are moving to the city at the beginning of September. How soon can we look for apartments that will be available at that time? We'll be studying for the bar during June and July in D.C. and out of the country in August, so we're going to be time pressured in finding a place. Is it possible to secure a place in May or June for the following September?

Thanks!
Kat
Re: When to look for an apartment?
March 02, 2006 11:57AM
Also, how much can we expect to pay up front? Is it first and last month's rent + a broker's fee of one month's rent or 15% of the term of the lease? That's what I've heard but don't know if that is the norm or not.
I think you will have to be here in order to get an apartment. You can totally forget about securing an apartment in May or June, to move into in Sep. When I got here, I stayed with a friend while I looked for a place. You could always sublet for awhile, until you find an apartment that you want to move in to. When I moved here, I got an apartment right away, using a broker. I paid upfront first month's rent, last month's rent, a broker fee of 12% of a month's rent (this was in 1998). I had to provide employment info and a bank acct in NYC, as well as have a credit check. I think it would be very difficult to get an apartment without being here first. You would not want to move into a place without seeing it first, right? If I were you, I'd get here, either stay with a friend or sublet somewhere temporarily, and look around for a place that is right for you.
March 02, 2006 06:24PM
Do the sublet thing first. This way, you can look for a place after the bar exam when you have more time. Getting a last minute sublet is very easy. Some sublets and shares are vacant before they are listed, so you can always get one somewhere.
March 02, 2006 06:28PM
Kelly, you meant 12% of the annual rent, right? The broker fee usually ranges from 12-15% of annual rent, but if you are lucky, you can get a low-fee or a no-fee apartment. I agree with Kelly, you can't rent an apartment months in advance, you have to be here. I definitely wouldn't rent something long term without seeing it, I have seen the difference between photos and reality, but a furnished sublet for a month you could perhaps manage even without being here. In theory tenants are supposed to give 30 days' notice when they are leaving, and it might take the landlord a month to paint an apartment for the new tenants, so at the beginning of July some landlords might already know what would be available for September 1st but usually you wouldn't look for an apartment more than 2-3 weeks in advance. In addition to the employment info some landlords also ask for your last tax return.
right, correction: 12% of the yearly rent
Kat
March 06, 2006 01:43PM
Thanks y'all for the comments. I was never planning on finding a long-term place without looking at it in advance--I was just wondering if maybe on the weekends during the summer when I'm in DC, I could take the train up and look at places that would be available in September.

The main problem is that we start work in mid-September and I would really REALLY like to be settled in a permanent place by then. We're moving a ton of stuff up and I'd rather not have to keep it in storage in Texas any longer than I have to.

Oh and can anyone recommend any good low/no-fee brokers? If not, how about some brokers that charge fees but tend to have nicer places downtown?

Thanks!
March 06, 2006 03:29PM
If you are looking for a place downtown, as in the financial district you should be able to go broker-less. If you give me your email I can send you a listing of many no fee buildings in the city. There are phone numbers and you can call each building in a location that interests you. Many doorman buildings don't require brokers and those reign supreme downtown.
Kat
March 07, 2006 07:38PM
We were thinking more East Village, Nolita, Soho areas. Are there many doorman buildings that go broker-less around there? And is there a way I can contact you directly with my email address? I'd rather not post it up here if I can help it smiling smiley

Thank you!
March 14, 2006 04:07PM
Kat email me at geneseogirl@yahoo.com and I will send it to you. It includes places all over the city and all are NO FEE NO BROKER buildings smiling smiley
March 14, 2006 05:11PM
Kat, rethink the storage thing, and the "bringing a ton of stuff". I never have gotten the storage thing. Especially at your age. Most of the stuff you most likely have can be replaced for the cost of putting it in storage. Most of it you most likely are not THAT emotionally attached too. Now, Grandma's side table or something is a different story. There is an IKEA and a ton of other fun stores in NY to replace all your current stuff.

I just helped my cousin unload THREE Penske trucks last week. All of her stuff is very nice, but none of it was worth moving across the country, paying for the trucks, staying in hotels, and eating out. I would have sold everything and started from scratch. I swear one truck was just the kids toys.

I have a huge home, but I can look at it and say "I will take all my music, some books, some artwork, 4 livingroom chairs, and my dining room table". The rest I would sell. My husband feels almost the same, he would sell it all smiling smiley.
Kat
March 21, 2006 02:51AM
Thanks for the replies!

NYCchic, I just emailed you.

And Salsa, I appreciate what you're saying but my situation is a little different. My office is covering the cost of moving me and I'm hiring someone to do it, so I won't have to deal with the driving across country and all of that mess (thank god! that sounds terrible.) Also, I'm pretty attached to most of my things--I've been collecting antiques for years and have quite a few pieces that I want to keep. So I really don't want to just get rid of everything and start over again (though I'm looking forward to adding more cool things I find up there!)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 11