Living in NY

Posted by Anna 
Living in NY
January 26, 2006 05:48AM
Hi,
I live in Holland and I would like to go to New York next summer. I’m 19 years old and next year I will go to the University, but before that I have 3 months of summer holidays. My idea was to get a job in New York, but I don’t know if that is possible. I don’t need to make a lot of money, but it would be nice if my salary could pay for the expenses while living in New York.
I was wondering if it is possible to do this and where I can start looking for a job.

I hope you guys can help,

Anna

Re: Living in NY
January 26, 2006 09:31AM
It would be best to get some form of a green card to get a decent job. Without one you are generally working under the table and that may mean not for minimum wage. I know I had friends who came to America one summer and got a special 3 month only visa through a company that arranges it for university students. That would allow you to get a decent job here. I would also look into housing ideas in between then, you can't exactly sign a lease if you are here for only 3 months. Maybe one of the colleges in NYC rent their dorms out over the summer? Just an idea. I would do the research before you come over here for sure.
January 26, 2006 10:35AM
You will need a Visa for sure. There are some companies that help too, but you might not be guaranteed NYC.

I have two friends from Brasil who are living in Colorado right now on a 3 month work Visa, with month for travel. They went through a company to get all the information and paperwork done, but opted to look for their own jobs so they could be near a particular ski resort. I am having dinner with them tonight. I will try to get a few more details for you.
January 26, 2006 02:02PM
Thank you for all the info.
It would be great if you're friends, Salsa, could tell you some more.
And NYCchick, I definitely need to do some research.

Just an other question; If you want a job, where do you look for them? Do you need to contact a company or an employment Office?
And what employment office’s are good and reliable?
January 26, 2006 05:13PM
If all goes well and you get a visa, the Temporary Agencies are a good place, but so are the want ads in the paper. For that limited amount of time, a restaurant would be a good bet. Most companies do not want to invest time and money into an employee that is only there for the short run.
January 27, 2006 10:43AM
Anna, Guilherme went through a travel agent. They were able to help him get all the information and neccesary documents.

It may be more difficult for you because for him the purpose was to work at a ski resort (I am in Colorado), and there are many jobs available during the season.

Best of luck to you.
February 11, 2006 02:22PM
How do you feel about kids?

Maybe try an au pair or nanny service for the summer?
February 14, 2006 04:50PM
As you probably know, housing costs are extremely high. One way to make your stay possible would be to housesit - a lot of affluent people leave the city for much of the summer. Check out the website www.housecarers.org (or it may be .com) and check out their service - you can offer your services as a housesitter and answer ads from people looking for a housesitter. If you are chosen for such a gig, your housing costs will be nominal which will be a great plus.
February 14, 2006 04:58PM
Great idea Monica! craigslist.com would also be a good place to look for these ads and to place one - FREE
February 20, 2006 09:26AM
to all,

I was wondering if it's hard to find a place to stay in the city for a month in july. I am spending my summer in new york because I love the city, however, I live all the way back in the netherlands. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a place to live for a month with a budget of +- $2000,-??

I'd also like to know if it's hard to find a job (any job) in the city just to keep myself a bit busy?

thanks,

bart-jan
February 22, 2006 08:39AM
to all,

I was wondering if it's hard to find a place to stay in the city for a month in july. I am spending my summer in new york because I love the city, however, I live all the way back in the netherlands. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a place to live for a month with a budget of +- $2000,-??

I'd also like to know if it's hard to find a job (any job) in the city just to keep myself a bit busy?

thanks,

bart-jan
February 22, 2006 08:39AM
to all,

thanks,

bart-jan
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 18?
Online Users

Guests: 15