Funky Fun Food w/ My Family

Posted by Kenny Da Fat Man 
Funky Fun Food w/ My Family
February 21, 2006 07:55AM
Hello New Yorkers:

I'm bringing my kids (ages 12 & 6) to NYC for their first visit. I'm looking for an eclectic, fun, funky and memorable place to take them to eat (any meal). Any suggestions? If any strange sights come to mind, mention those too.

Thanks in advance!

Dunka~

Kenny DFM
KM
Re: Funky Fun Food w/ My Family
February 21, 2006 01:06PM
Yo Kenny da Fat Man,
Bradda are you in Hawaii? The Fried Chicken joint might be a little too funky, when was the last time you were in Harlem?....otherwise they would probably enjoy Jeckyll and Hyde.
There's one on 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) near 57 St. & one in the Village. Both are very cool.

www.jekyllandhydeclub.com

or the below link is also a pretty cool palce for kids.

www.ilovepeanutbutter.com

This is just a great store that will be extremely entertaining for everyone
104 4th Ave 212-673-4546...it's called Holloween Adventure and it's the ultimate custome shop and more.....they'll love you for it.

my vote for best fried chicken goes to
22 WEST
22 West 135th St.
New York, NY 10037
(212) 862-7770
fax: 862-7991
'[www.22west.com]'

much better.
mac n cheese not bad either.
best soul food in Harlem...probably in all of NYC.
Malcolm X would agree....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2006 01:20PM by KM.
February 21, 2006 03:09PM
Thanks KM...great suggestions...No, I'm not in Hawaii, born and bread and reside in Pittsburgh, PA (but I did live in Kaneohe, HI for a bit).

The name Kenny da Fat Man is more of a homage to da Godfather than da Bruddas.

Thanks again my friend!
February 21, 2006 03:16PM
my suggestion: Ethiopian! I went to the place described below and the food was pretty good, and definately funky. You sort of eat with your hands.

[www.menupages.com]

Here is a review:
Meskerem Restaurant
Address: 468 W. 47th Street, New York, NY
(tel.) 212-664-0520.

Meskerem Restaurant (New York, NY). One of the oldest Ethiopian restaurants in New York City, Meskerem is best known for its coziness and highly-rated hospitality. Well, this is New York city where its residents and tourists alike indulge themselves in anything "ethnic" and Meskerem does not disappoint. Its vegetarian dishes (shiro, misir wot, alcha and qey kik wot) seem to be favored highly by New Yorkers. Mesqerem's decor, location, diverse and "cool" clientele [web-techies, multimedia artists, new economy workforce and what have you] along with and its long history make it as one of the best-known and successful Ethiopian restaurants in the US. The Ethiopian patrons may find Meskerem's dishes too conservative on the "berbere" and "qbe". But if you have non-Ethiopian friends who want to experience Ethiopian food, Meskerem is the place to take them to.

February 21, 2006 05:31PM
Oh Kaneohe, Lanikai is one of my favorite beaches. Lived at the base of Diamond Head for ten year. Here's a good one for you:[onokinegrindz.typepad.com]

Okata Bento is at the bottom of Wilhiminai Rise, honolulu one of my favorite plate lunches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2006 05:43PM by askanewyorker.
February 21, 2006 06:04PM
KM1
February 21, 2006 06:26PM
as suggested by the uberchic from Dec05:

AskaNewYorker: Which is your favorite Indian restaurant?

Jessica: For Indian I would definitely go to Saravanaa’s, the new Indian restaurant that just opened up on 26th and Lexington. It’s actually an import from India, a famous Indian chain.

AskaNewYorker: Other than Indian places, where would you go?

Jessica: Caracas Arepa at 91 E. 7th Street between First and A. Great arepas and empanadas. It’s this little tiny shop, 200 square feet run by these two women from Venezuela. They just make incredible food for really cheap.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 4