apartment hunt

Posted by John 
apartment hunt
June 14, 2005 05:08PM
My dear New Yorkers,

Recently convinced (reading the website) of your generosity and wisdom in all things New York, I've decided to ask you all a question: I'm moving to NYC from Washington, DC next month. Don't have lots of time to find a place. Would love to find a one-bedroom in Manhattan. Looking for a safe, fun neighborhood where I can walk to everything (I work from home), have access to transport (I have to commute a few days per week to Pelham). Old brownstones are more my style, not high rise apt buildings. One tiny problem: It seems from the listings I've seen that I can afford either a one-bedroom outside of Manhattan, in Queen's or Brooklyn, or else afford only to share a place in Manhattan, i.e. I'm thinking $1,200-$1,500/month.

So, I guess my real question is: should I stop dreaming of finding a one-bedroom for this sort of rent in Manhattan and look elsewhere or find a room mate, or is it possible to find something? The neighborhoods I've been attracted to lately are Upper East Side or East Village.

Many thanks!

John

Betoracle
Re: apartment hunt
June 15, 2005 09:42AM
There's a one-bedroom apt. available in my Upper East Side building. Very tiny, probably <400 sq ft, in a very old, walk-up building. No view at all. It'll probably rent for around $1,800 or more. There's a tiny studio available too, for $1,450. It's on the ground floor in the front (so you'll hear everyone come and go).

Good luck!
Red
June 15, 2005 09:55AM
Have you looked at Astoria?
June 15, 2005 08:11PM
Thanks - I think I'll be both looking to share, as well as looking in Astoria, and other places just outside the city.

If you know of any "hot neighborhoods" i.e. good proximity to the city, but places that have lots going on locally - I'm mainly interested in just being able to walk to what's needed for daily and some social life - please let me know. I've heard Long Island City is one, and Astoria, Brooklyn Heights ...

John
June 21, 2005 10:22PM
If you are willing to venture north of 96th street there might be openings in my building. There is a recently renovated 1 bedroom for $1400 I think a month. The room is amazingly small but the living room is decent size. There is a large bay window with a view of Morningside Park and new stainless steel appliances and wood floors. Let me know if you want my landlords #. That price is doable. Have you thought about a broker if you are strapped for time. As long as you have the cash I am sure they could help in your search!
Kelly M
June 22, 2005 05:25AM
try also Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill in Brooklyn...but they are a little bit expensive. Nearby Smith St for bars/restaurants and such.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 9?
Online Users

Guests: 14