Brooklyn, NY

Posted by KW 
KW
Brooklyn, NY
January 09, 2003 11:50AM
Can someone tell me how far away brooklyn is from Manhattan.
Laura
Re: Brooklyn, NY
January 09, 2003 12:14PM
very very very close. I live in Brooklyn and it takes me five minutes on the subway to get to Manhattan.
New Yorker
January 09, 2003 02:32PM
This really depends on what partof Brooklyn, Laura's correct if you live near the water , the East River, than its a short trip but if you live in Coney Island thats another matter....1hr.
January 10, 2003 08:19AM
Well,

I am referring to approx. how long it would take me to get from Brooklyn Law School to Midtown Manhattan or times Square. Can you give me an estimate?

Also, Can you tell me about the area surrounding the school or brooklyn itself.

Thanks
Kelly
January 10, 2003 08:28AM
Brooklyn Law School is in Brooklyn Heights, which is a beautiful, very nice area. It has many different subway lines servicing the area, and is very convenient. It is just on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. With the subway it will take about 20 minutes to reach Times Square.
January 10, 2003 08:33AM
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quick. Is there any other advice that you think you could give me to assist me.

Also, I have heard some bad things about Brooklyn but have heard great things about Brooklyn Heights. Can you tell me why this is so much?Kelly wrote:
>
> Brooklyn Law School is in Brooklyn Heights, which is a
> beautiful, very nice area. It has many different subway
> lines servicing the area, and is very convenient. It is just
> on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. With the subway
> it will take about 20 minutes to reach Times Square.
Kelly
January 10, 2003 09:14AM
Brooklyn is not a bad place at all.
Sure, there are “bad” areas that you’d probably want to avoid, but plenty of good areas too!
Brooklyn Heights is very nice. I used to live there, on Hicks Street. There are lots of restaurants and stores, movie theater, bar, little cafes, etc. There are some beautiful homes, and it is a relatively clean, quiet area. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade offers what I think is the best view of Manhattan anywhere, and you can see the statue of liberty, too. Right “next to” Brooklyn Heights is an area called Cobble Hill which is also very nice and has lots of good shops, another movie theater, and this is where Smith Street is. Maybe you’ve heard about Smith Street? It’s one of the “up and coming” areas of Brooklyn…lots of new bars and restaurants opening and that kind of thing. There is a Macy’s in the area, in the Fulton Street Mall area. It’s a good place to live.
January 10, 2003 09:44AM
Can you give me some pointers on places in Brooklyn, I dont want to go? Also is brooklyn the closest burro to Manhattan?Kelly wrote:
>
> Brooklyn is not a bad place at all.
> Sure, there are “bad” areas that you’d probably want to
> avoid, but plenty of good areas too!
> Brooklyn Heights is very nice. I used to live there, on
> Hicks Street. There are lots of restaurants and stores,
> movie theater, bar, little cafes, etc. There are some
> beautiful homes, and it is a relatively clean, quiet area.
> The Brooklyn Heights Promenade offers what I think is the
> best view of Manhattan anywhere, and you can see the statue
> of liberty, too. Right “next to” Brooklyn Heights is an area
> called Cobble Hill which is also very nice and has lots of
> good shops, another movie theater, and this is where Smith
> Street is. Maybe you’ve heard about Smith Street? It’s one
> of the “up and coming” areas of Brooklyn…lots of new bars and
> restaurants opening and that kind of thing. There is a Macy’s
> in the area, in the Fulton Street Mall area. It’s a good
> place to live.
Kelly
January 10, 2003 09:55AM
For instance, I wouldn't just wander around in a section called "East New York" or "Bedford-Stuyvesant"....when you turn on the news and hear what crimes have taken place in Brooklyn, unfortunately, this seems to be where they are. Safe areas: Park Slope, Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights.
All of the boroughs (except maybe staten island) are very very very close to Manhattan. Super close. To say which is closest is hard, it depends on which area of manhattan you want to get to and from where in the particular borough you start out.
January 10, 2003 10:22AM
Sorry to keep bugging you, but you giving me a lot of good information.

I will be coming back up there in the summer-what months would your recommend?

Also, are there any hotels that you know of that are good and fairly reasonable. I really like to Paramount hotel in TS but the room is really really small. I know NYC is pressed for space, but I have stayed in the Parker Meridian hotel and it was much better but also more costly. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I would also like to be in a semi-central location so we can walk to a lot of attractions.
Kelly
January 10, 2003 11:06AM
Unfortunately, because I live in NYC in my own little apartment, I haven’t stayed in many hotels in town. But, what you can do, is “search” in this forum. Up at the top of the list of questions and answers, you see the search function. Just click on it and search “hotels” and you will see all of the discussion that has already taken place and maybe you’ll find some good info there. A lot of people seem to recommend the Radisson Lexington Ave hotel, on the east side of manhattan. I don’t know the rooms, but it is in a good central location and I hear it is reasonably priced.
October 14, 2005 01:36PM
Can anyone inform me of some up and comming areas in brooklyn that are nice neighborhoods to move into...Im looking to spend about 300,000 to 350,000. i am from the island and am not too familiar with brooklyn...thnaks a lot
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 22