Brooklyn, NY

Posted by KW 
Leo
Re: Brooklyn, NY
October 14, 2005 02:27PM
When people here talk about Brooklyn and mention safe areas they conveniently forget many neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are juist as safe, just not as "hip" or "cool"

For example, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Midwood, Kings Highway, Gravesand, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge to just name a few. For example, you can reach Kings Highway in 10 minutes by B express train from Brooklyn Heights, yet rentals there are about 2 times less expensive. I personally live in the Brighton Beach which is known for large number of russian immigrants. Now we also have a starbucks, beach in the summer and it takes me about 45-50 minutes to reach time square on B express. Sheepshead Bay is not far from here. It's a very nice and safe area. Lots of shops and restaurants too, especially on the bay itself (great place to take a walk).

When you hear about Brooklyn, you have to realize that this is a very large borough. More than 2.4 million people live here.

Leo
October 14, 2005 02:34PM
Just to add to my description:

Bensonhurst is another good and very safe neighborhood in Brooklyn that is rarely mentioned on this forum. It used to be known as a predominantly Italian neighborhood. Nowadays, there are italians, asians, russians and other ethnic groups living there. There are lots of new condominiums being built there and many stores and restaurants line up 86th Street between 18th avenue and Bay Parkway (core of the neighborhood) including GAP.
Kelly M
October 14, 2005 03:59PM
Leo, I like your answers...they always teach me something I did not know before smiling smiley
Leo
October 14, 2005 04:34PM
Dave R: It really depends how close you want to be to the city. You won't buy a decent condominium for 300-350K anymore. The price of real estate even in more remote areas of Brooklyn are sky-high nowadays. Say, in Sheepshead Bay, new 2-beedroom condos go for 500-650K and up. They built a lot of condos on Ocean Avenue. There are 2 being constructed on the corner of Avenue U, for example. There's a local Q train running there. If you drive, it's a better option.

In Bensonhurst, prices also went through the roof.

The only alternative is to buy a coop apartment. These are much cheaper, but the buildings are often old and crappy. So, you really need to be careful and the monthly maintenance is much higher than in the condos.

Actually those often forgotten neighborhoods are where most of the new condo construction is. You won't buy anything for 300K in park slope or clinton hill...
June 23, 2006 09:27AM
Kelly, thanks for mentioning the safe areas of Brooklyn. I grew up and had a wonderful childhood in Fort Greene, and now my fiance and I are looking to move to Brooklyn. I only know of Brooklyn Heights and Fort Greene, but I fear that we can't afford such places (rent was $375 a month when I lived in Fort Greene :-) ). Can you recommend any where that's not only safe but that you know of to be affordable?
January 22, 2007 05:27PM
Hi. I am a female considering moving to clinton hills. I am worried about safety. Can anyone tell me about this area. Thank you and your help is greatly appreciated.
Jay
January 22, 2007 06:18PM
I don't think you'd have to worry about safety in that neighborhood too much.
But part of it sort of borders bed-stuy, I think, so I'd probably choose a place further away from that, in more of the "historic district" part.

[nymag.com]
this has a lot of good info.
KG
Bensonhurst Info
June 20, 2007 08:01AM
Hi there:

Can someone please tell me a little about Bensonhurst, more specifically near 84th-86th streets??? Is it safe to live there??? Im new in the area and I all I hear all day long is young Italian kids cursing and trying to beat each other up...Is that normal????? Someone please help...Thanks!!
Red
June 20, 2007 08:31AM
Of course it's safe. It's just noisy.

The teenagers all threaten to beat each other up but they won't involve you. It's like you don't even EXIST to them. They're not criminals, they're doing their own stupid teenage social thing. Also, they don't have guns. It isn't East New York or anything.
Sebastian
August 01, 2007 08:16PM
Hi, I'm currently considering in renting a flat ( albeit basement) at bergen street on 4th avenue. Could anyone tell me a bit more about the area and neighborhood around there please?? And how long does it take to get into lower manhattan from there??(nearest subways etc). I'd be very grateful for a quick answer. Thank you.
August 01, 2007 09:17PM
Sebastian, I don't know the neighborhood, but I do know www.HopStop.com from the links page here. It is great, and will tell you exactly how long, and how. Good luck on finding a place.
Sebastian
August 02, 2007 06:43AM
Salsa, thank you very much for that link and your quick answer.

As i'm supposed to be coming over extremely soon i'm really interested in what neighborhoods i should be aware of not to go to etc. I have probably heard too much about what can happen if you're in the wrong area.

What i'm looking for is basically a studio apartment (not too much money-already know that it will be anyway too some extent) in a brooklyn area close to manhattan as that's where i'll be going every day.

Has anyone got any ideas of where to be staying and what kind of websites i should be visiting to get the best deals???

All help is very much appreciated at this moment. Thank you.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 4