Brooklyn, NY

Posted by KW 
Re: Brooklyn, NY
August 02, 2007 06:57AM
Where in manhattan will you have to go each day? does it have to be brooklyn? What's your price range?
Sebastian
August 02, 2007 07:14AM
Hi Kelly, It would be in the West village i'd be going each day.

It doesn't necessarily have to be brooklyn.

Price range would roughly be about $1000 to $1300 at the very most.
August 17, 2007 04:08PM
I plan to move to an appartment which is near beverly hills station. Is it a safe area ? what about prospect park. The appartment is on Ocean Avenue ? Is that are safe
Bo
August 24, 2007 11:02AM
Now that you have the names of many of these neighborhoods, head over to Wikipedia for more info. Just search the name of the neighborhood and you'll get more info than you probably wanted.

Another useful search on Google would be crime statistics for a given area.

Also do a Google Images search Brooklyn neighborhoods to get a map. The further away the area is from Manahattan is the longer the commute will take.
September 02, 2007 01:05AM
Hey Sebastian.

Bergen and Fourth is not bad, but not fabulous. Depends of what you're looking for. I would say it is a neighborhood-in-transition that is well into the transition. The area can still read as sort of run-down and grungy, but it is on its way up. I would not be afraid of the neighborhood, but some folks might think twice about taking a stroll at 3am. It wouldn't bother me at all. Lots of funky and ethnic shopping in that area, especially along Atlantic Ave.

However, that said, it is RIGHT near the Atlantic Ave subway station, which has all kinds of train lines running through it - 2,3,4,5,B,D,N,Q,and R lines. You'd be set to go just about wherever you wanted by subway. The 2 train will take you right smack to the middle of the Village in maybe 20 minutes.
sam
February 11, 2008 10:15PM
Hi All.. I am planning to start working at 32 old slip manhattan,, Could you guys suggest some 1b/1b aprtmetns in arnd 1200 range in one of those relvatiely safe areas..

Safe areas: Park Slope, Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights.

Thnaks for help in advance..
February 17, 2008 06:46PM
Dear Brooklynites

I am a senior citizen and my husband uses a wheelchair but we are very active and independent people. We want to purchase a single family home in a safe but not expensive area of Brooklyn. What are your recommendations?
March 02, 2008 09:17AM
could someone tell me about the neighborhood in Brooklyn near Prospect Park? I need to go in there from NJ alone and will be leaving late at night and wanted to know what to be expecting. Thanks!
March 02, 2008 12:07PM
I too am looking for a place to live in Brooklyn.

My biggest priority is somewhere that's safe and close to the city. I really don't care if it's hip or not. In fact, I'd rather find a cheaper place in a safe area close to the city than a hip expensive trendy area in Brooklyn. I would love to explore Brightnon Beach, but it seems like the commute would suck, since I work in midtown any other suggestions with a closer commute...Thanks!!!!
March 02, 2008 07:32PM
Sam- unfortunately, all of those areas you mentioned are on the pricey side (a 1BR may cost you $1800+ in those areas). Brooklyn heights is actually way more expensive than living in manhattan. If you want a good deal, I would suggest Clinton Hills or Prospect Heights-- they would have apts for that price range, and those areas are still pretty good (from what i've heard).

Buffy- From my limited experience in that area--it all depends on where around prospect park you are. Park slope is very nice-- very yuppie-- basically, I would stay around the north/west side of the park and if you see Grand Army Plaza that is a good, nice and safe area. But anyway, why don't you just take a taxi?

NicoleAZ- Maybe you would want to live in Bay Ridge-- that's a nice area and from what I've seen, the prices are reasonable (that would be by the R train). However to be honest, Queens is actually where you will get the best deal for your money. IF you don't care about living in a hip area (ie.brooklyn), than you may want to check out queens. It is not as trendy, which is why it is cheaper. But most parts of queens are very safe. Some suggestions: Glendale (about 40-60 min. to midtown--maybe 35 on an express train), Jackson Heights, Flushing, etc. Forest hills is REALLY nice area. So is Long Island City. However these 2 areas tend to be pricier (as is Astoria). Hope that helps.

Okay now my question-- I hope someone will answer it! Someone who lives in the Prospect Heights area please....
Is St. Johns Place between Washington and Franklin a good/safe area? I've seen alot of decently priced apts there, but I know how safe/good areas can change from block to block. I am looking to move to Prospect Heights April 1st, but I am not rich, if you know what I mean (aka: no park slope or vanderbilt ave). Can anyone that lives in Prospect Heights give me an idea of which blocks are nicer, but you can still find a good deal? I would really appreciate it!! Thanks! smiling smiley
March 02, 2008 08:37PM
Sarah'smoving Wrote:

> Buffy- From my limited experience in that area--it
> all depends on where around prospect park you are.
> Park slope is very nice-- very yuppie-- basically,
> I would stay around the north/west side of the
> park and if you see Grand Army Plaza that is a
> good, nice and safe area. But anyway, why don't
> you just take a taxi?
>
>

Im going to maple ave. It looks like all old brownstones!

No taxies for me thanks. Had bad experiences with them!
March 09, 2008 02:29PM
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your response on living far but in a safe area with a fast commute to city. I'll be sure to check out Bayridge (I work on 50th & 8th Ave.), so it sounds like the N is the best train to take. I'll also look into queens.

Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 8