Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer

Posted by askanewyorker 
Re: Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer
October 11, 2012 09:09PM
Hello.

Last night I received a 1110A ticket in NY state. I was going 65 in a 55 zone and the officer reduced the ticket to a 1110A. I am a CT resident. My question is, will my insurance be effected from the 2 points in this ticket? If so I would like to fight the ticket to see if it can get thrown out but I'm not sure what is the best idea. I read that NY state will notify CT about the ticket, but I'm not sure if that means that the points actually transfer. If the points don't effect my insurance then I'm okay just paying the ticket.

Thanks so much. Any input is much appreciated!
Matthew Weiss
October 11, 2012 09:10PM
Adrienne,

If your record is otherwise clean, then this one ticket likely will not affect your auto insurance rates. I recommend, however, that you call your insurance company and ask it.

Matthew Weiss

Adrienne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello.
>
> Last night I received a 1110A ticket in NY state.
> I was going 65 in a 55 zone and the officer
> reduced the ticket to a 1110A. I am a CT resident.
> My question is, will my insurance be effected from
> the 2 points in this ticket? If so I would like to
> fight the ticket to see if it can get thrown out
> but I'm not sure what is the best idea. I read
> that NY state will notify CT about the ticket, but
> I'm not sure if that means that the points
> actually transfer. If the points don't effect my
> insurance then I'm okay just paying the ticket.
>
> Thanks so much. Any input is much appreciated!
October 15, 2012 01:51PM
Hey. I received a speeding ticket in nassau county. 71 in a 55. I pled not guilty. What kind of fine or lea am I lookin at? And how long to receive a conference date/court date?
I received a ticket on I 684 (Bedford Town Court) for speeding (94MPH in a 65MPH zone). I plead not guilty but have not received a court date (9 months later). I have read online that this is not uncommon with this court. Is there any possibility of getting it dismissed on a Statute of Limitations grounds (fair and speedy trial). My record is clean so my original thought was to appear in court and ask for a plea bargain. That said, I didnt think i would have to wait years for a court date! Any chance of having it dismissed completely (even if i have to pay for a lawyer)?

Thanks,

Paul
MattF
October 15, 2012 08:44PM
Matthew,

Firstly, thank you so much for doing this. Your advice seems well thought out and quite helpful.

My situation: I received a ticket in Orange County on Route 17 just past exit 130. The State trooper said he had on laser that I was doing 79/65. I was absolutely not doing this. In fact, I was doing just 65. I have pled "not guilty" and now will be going to pre-trial conference. My passenger will be going as my witness. I realize this is a 4 point violation. Do you think I have a chance to have this dismissed in its totality? I have no moving violations, a 20yr+ clean driving record. I also take the 6 hour class every three years and have certificates to prove it. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MattF
Matthew Weiss
October 16, 2012 09:36PM
MattF,

Thanks so much for your kind remarks.

I doubt that you'll be offered an outright dismissal. The court is going to want money and the prosecutor is going want a conviction. MY best guess is that you'll be offered a VTL 1110a ticket (2 point). Let us know what happens.

MattheW Weiss

MattF Wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Firstly, thank you so much for doing this. Your
> advice seems well thought out and quite helpful.
>
> My situation: I received a ticket in Orange County
> on Route 17 just past exit 130. The State trooper
> said he had on laser that I was doing 79/65. I was
> absolutely not doing this. In fact, I was doing
> just 65. I have pled "not guilty" and now will be
> going to pre-trial conference. My passenger will
> be going as my witness. I realize this is a 4
> point violation. Do you think I have a chance to
> have this dismissed in its totality? I have no
> moving violations, a 20yr+ clean driving record. I
> also take the 6 hour class every three years and
> have certificates to prove it. Your thoughts would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MattF
October 17, 2012 07:13PM
Hello,

On my way to work, I came to the small interesection where I needed to make a left hand turn. I couldn't do that b/c the men working on the light blocked you from making right/left turns. So I pulled into the parking lot, pass a cop who was just sitting there and pulled out onto the block that I needed to be on. Needless to say, I got a ticket. Obviously, If I knew you couldn't do that, I wouldn't have. So what should I say or do when I go to to court for this. I already have 5 points on my license but it's my first time going to court. Thanks.
Matthew Weiss
October 17, 2012 07:49PM
Katie,

You were charging with a 2-point ticket called "avoiding an intersection". You can fight this, and try and get a better outcome. How you fight depends on the court in which you are assigned.

Feel free to call us to discuss further.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

KATIE Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my way to work, I came to the small
> interesection where I needed to make a left hand
> turn. I couldn't do that b/c the men working on
> the light blocked you from making right/left
> turns. So I pulled into the parking lot, pass a
> cop who was just sitting there and pulled out onto
> the block that I needed to be on. Needless to say,
> I got a ticket. Obviously, If I knew you couldn't
> do that, I wouldn't have. So what should I say or
> do when I go to to court for this. I already have
> 5 points on my license but it's my first time
> going to court. Thanks.
October 18, 2012 09:27AM
I received a speeding ticket for going 65 on Grand Central Parkway & 77 street with a limit of 40, I just got on the highway when this happened and I didn't see a speed limit sign. I have never had any moving violation in the past 10 years.

The address of the occurance on the ticket was incorrectly written as "GCP & 77 Road" instead of "GCP & 77 street". Do I have a chance to have the ticket dismissed? Thanks.
I'm a cyclist being cited for VTL 1127A, as I was riding my bicycle in the wrong direction on a one-way street in Manhattan. I have no problem paying the fine, but will I get points on my license even though I was riding my bike?

Mike
MattF
October 18, 2012 01:14PM
Hello Matthew,

Well as you requested on October 16th I am reporting back and boy am I happy. My favorite outcome (other than an outright dismissal) has happened.

When I met with the Prosecutor, he immediately offered me a VTL 1201(a) Parking Violation with 0 Points, $150 fine and no surcharge. I said "yes" instantly. Although I did not commit the offense, this was the most cost-effective and sure way to go to protect my driving record, and that's what was most important to me overall.

The way everything is prepared there, it seems that this particular Courtroom in Orange County reviews everything in advance and then decides whether or not they will make a plea bargain offer and what the terms are. I did bring my abstract,my 3 Accident Prevention course certificates, photographs and a witness. In the end, it all stayed in the file folder in my hand, except the witness, of course!

In all honesty, I felt the dealings that I witnessed in this Courtroom were very fair and generous toward the accused. There were other people there, who, like me were being charged with a 4 point speeding violation - some received the same offer I got, some with a Parking by hydrant Violation that comes with an $85 surcharge on top of the $150. Some did get offered the VTL 1110(a) as you had mentioned in your reply to me. Most took their offers. A few, very few, rejected them.

Once again, I'd like to thank you so very much because for me, scrolling down through the over 38 pages of entries here, I felt much better informed, prepared, knowledgeable and realistic about the process. If ever there is a time that I can recommend your services, believe me, I'll be more than happy to.

MattF
October 18, 2012 04:24PM
Dear Matthew,

I recently received a ticket for running a steady red light. I am certain that I crossed the light on yellow. The street lights on bushwick ave are close to each other and change very quickly from green to yellow and yellow to red. I was caught between the lights and the car behind me was tailgating so I was unable to break suddenly. I have a witness that states that I crossed the light when it was yellow not red. Also the officer stopped me 5 blocks after the alleged infraction. The officer was very rude and didn't even explain why he stopped me. Even after giving me the ticket. Do I have any chance of winning this case? Thanks

Eric
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 10