Exploring the outer boroughs

Posted by Tom 
Tom
Re: Exploring the outer boroughs
February 13, 2008 05:55AM
Thanks for all the helpful info, Kelly. Now I just need to find time on a nice day and check these areas out.
March 12, 2008 09:27AM
The city?
Posted by: Mads (dialup-4.237.44.136.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: August 26, 2004 10:13PM

Why is that people who live in the other four boroughs all refer to Manhattan as "the city"?? The last time I checked, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the Bronx were all part of the city too!! If we cannot be considered "the city", why don't we just separate ourselves from Manhattan and we'll just be known as "the Four Boroughs"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 05:01AM by askanewyorker.

I live in New York but I am from Australia and have travelled to many countries, one thing I have noticed is that the area of any city where the CBD is or where the main financial district is situated is usually referred to as 'the city'. I think that it is a way of defining suburbs from the main business area.

Business area or not, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island are part of New York City. Why should Manhattan be the only part of New York City that should actually be considered "the city"?

I agree! I live in Brooklyn and I live in the "city" too. I never refer to manhattan that way.

Naturally all 5 boroughs of New York are "New York City" (something some people should actually recognize but don't). Queens is NYC, Brooklyn is NYC, etc etc...but it's just one of those New York things....

I remember I knew a guy once (who grew up in New Jersey) who always said, (whenever I or a friend were asked where we were from and replied "NYC"), "They didn't grow up in NYC, they grew up in Queens" (an obviously ridiculous statement), as if it weren't part of the city. My answer was always that the other 4 boroughs have the same mayor, subject to the same laws, etc etc....therefore it is part of New York City.

But all residents of the boroughs refer to Manhattan as "the city", because, and this is only my guess, that the other 4 boroughs lack the hustle and bustle (to some extent), the skyscrapers, etc...But I think all New Yorkers always referred to Manhattan as "The City"....even though we all live in "The City"....

Totally disagree... when you grow up in or around NYC, saying the "city" means you are going to Manhattan. Everywhere else is referred to by their respective names. Why? 'Cause much of the buroughs are suburbs! If you are from Riverdale, Bronx or Staten Island or wherever, you are from "a" city (NYC) but since you live so close you have a different idea of what "the" city is. You expect Manhattan to mean the city cause your area is so much smaller in comparison.

When a friend from Iowa came to NYC, she thought Queens was so big, and then was amazed by Manhattan. Queens, in Iowa, is a massive city. While NYCers will agree Queens is an integral part of NYC, it's not the largest (height-wise and business-wise, not population wise).

Anyhoos, if you live in Manhattan, you never refer to it as the city. It's just Manhattan. It's the buroughs, NJ, CT, and LI people who call it "the city".

Either way it is good to be an NYCer regardless of what people call you ;-)

Yes...most New Yorkers refer to Manhattan as "The City" (including a lot of those who live in Manhattan---i know quite few born and raised Manhattanites who do). And you are probably right as to why those who live in the other boroughs refer to Manhattan as "the city"....but I'd hardly call parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens for that matter, "The suburbs" (though there are areas which clearly feel and look like like it). I'll agree that Long Island is the suburbs

New York City is made up of about 8 million people. 7 million of them live outside "the city", i.e. Manhattan. And there are those who live in Manhattan who seem more than willing to dismiss those 7 million residents as "not living in the city". Why THIS is, I have no idea. Krissi wrote:
>
> Totally disagree... when you grow up in or around NYC, saying
> the "city" means you are going to Manhattan. Everywhere else
> is referred to by their respective names. Why? 'Cause much of
> the buroughs are suburbs! If you are from Riverdale, Bronx or
> Staten Island or wherever, you are from "a" city (NYC) but
> since you live so close you have a different idea of what
> "the" city is. You expect Manhattan to mean the city cause
> your area is so much smaller in comparison.
>
> When a friend from Iowa came to NYC, she thought Queens was
> so big, and then was amazed by Manhattan. Queens, in Iowa, is
> a massive city. While NYCers will agree Queens is an integral
> part of NYC, it's not the largest (height-wise and
> business-wise, not population wise).
>
> Anyhoos, if you live in Manhattan, you never refer to it as
> the city. It's just Manhattan. It's the buroughs, NJ, CT, and
> LI people who call it "the city".
>
> Either way it is good to be an NYCer regardless of what
> people call you ;-)

Maybe you are right. My apologies, I think I misunderstood your question.

I personally have never come across someone who was dismissive of "buroughers" being NYCers (okay, maybe for Staten Island) but maybe it is cause Manhattanites are in the largest part so other areas they don't seem "urban" enouph? I will admit I was surprised on my treks to Brooklyn, how small things are in comparison. I get excited cause I can actually see the sky!

I think you should just chalk it up to Manhattanite snobbery :-)

Brian, why would you want anyone not born here to leave and "go back to ohio"? This city is made up of people from all over the world, and that (along with the natives) is what gives the city character.

bless you! i have this same pet peeve. i always tell people to tell my taxes & my voter registration that i don't live in "the city" just because i live in queens.

it doesn't matter if manhattan contains the cbd or not, it is FACTUALLY INCORRECT to only refer to that borough as "new york city." & i wish people would stop acting as if the other boroughs were not even worth speaking of--notice how on this website the neighborhood boards are all for manhattan places (except for williamsburg, oh joy).

Moderate: Delete Message•Delete Message And Replies •Hide Message and Replies •Edit Post
Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread•Report This Message
Re: "The City"--a.k.a. Manhattan
Posted by: angela (pool-70-19-73-43.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:36AM

but most other cities are nowhere near as dense as manhattan all the way throughout, either. & lots are NEVER as dense as manhattan--like dallas. "city" does not ONLY mean "places that are as dense as manhattan." if it did, most of the cities in the us wouldn't qualify.

i really hate it when people who live in manhattan come to another borough & make condescending remarks about how "cute" everything is & how "you wouldn't even know you were in the city."

Agreed. Well, that's because there is this weird phenomenon that has been taking place over the past decade or so by people who are not from NYC who come to live in NYC that seem to feel that NYC is only Manhattan and a few neighborhoods in Brooklyn. They pretty much dismiss 7 million out of 8 million people!

As far as the Neighborhood Board is concerned, you're right. It seems that there is a concentration on what is considered the "cool" neighborhoods (Something I am getting increasingly disgusted with, mainly because the concept is ridiculous). There is this whole "Location as Identity" thing going on which is pretty amusing to say the least. Silly, childish, stuff all around.

NYC is FIVE boroughs. Not one and a quarter. The next time someone says something stupid like "You don't live in the city" because you are from one of the boroughs, tell them to first, grow up and let go of this whole "hipster" nonsense because that's all this nonsense is and that is where it is coming from...and mostly from those who only lived in NYC for a very short time.

All of this is highly amusing for those who were born and raised here, let me tell you. Just more elitist BS coming from elitist people

angela wrote:
>
> bless you! i have this same pet peeve. i always tell people
> to tell my taxes & my voter registration that i don't live
> in "the city" just because i live in queens.
>
> it doesn't matter if manhattan contains the cbd or not, it is
> FACTUALLY INCORRECT to only refer to that borough as "new
> york city." & i wish people would stop acting as if the other
> boroughs were not even worth speaking of--notice how on this
> website the neighborhood boards are all for manhattan places
> (except for williamsburg, oh joy).

Where do you live, Angela? Tell us about it.

That's true that "dense as Manhattan" is not the literal meaning of a city, but when you grow up here, isn't that your point of reference?

Growing up in Manhattan, other areas ARE cute and quaint. I don't think its condescending. It's a cute and quaint area. Manhattan is NOT cute and quaint. I go to other areas, and there is GRASS! Do you realize the only time I see grass is in parks? When you grow up here, that is what you expect from a city. Everything else doesn't feel like a city. Quite honestly, I do feel like many US cities DON'T qualify because my frame of reference is not your regular city.

It might be an incorrect frame of reference, but I guess that is what makes me a Manhattanite, no?

Once I was in the UES at a bar and a guy from TX had just come here to check out grad schools. I asked him what he thought of NYC. He said "It's really ghetto" I looked at him with utter surprise, "You know, youre standing in front of some of the most expensive real estate in the world, right?" and he said "This looks like the ugliest part of Dallas".

Needless to say, it's all a frame of mind.

New York City is comprised of the five boroughs. When people who live in a borough other than Manhattan and refer to Manhattn as the City it denigrates the other boroughs. There is so much more life in ither borughs than is given credit for. There are museums in Brooklyn and Queens, there is the Bronx zoo and Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, Shea Stadium Flushiung Meadows Park and major airports in Queens, there are minor league stadiums in Staten Island and in Coney Sialnd a prt of Brooklyn. And speaking of Coney Island, what true New Yorker can deny the great tatste and history of a Nathan's Famous Frank. If you ask me Manhattan my be convenient but it is overcrowded noisy and obviously full of elitist snobs.

...ride a subway in any city in the world (ie...Barcelona, Japan, Buenos Aires...) and not get lost...for more than 15 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2008 09:28AM by askanewyorker.
lara
March 27, 2008 11:05AM
"Manhattan my be convenient but it is overcrowded noisy and obviously full of elitist snobs. "

Oh I am soooo in agreement with you, askanewyorker.. I grew up in Manhattan on the upper westside when it was a real neighborhood and not filled with a bunch of stuck up yuppies.. Sure it wasnt as "she she" to live there back then, but it was funa and free and everyone knew everyone... I moved out of Manhattan in 1998 and never moved back.. Its a shame that I still have to work there
May 19, 2008 12:26PM
This is my old hood. This is such a cool event. I love Crest Hardware.. Grap a bite to eat at Dumont afterwards which is around the corner.

Attached you will find a press release announcing the Crest Hardware Art Show. The event kicks off Saturday, June 7th 2008 at 1PM in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The show will offer 5000 square feet of space to over 100 artists. We would love to have the show covered by you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Free food and drinks provided by: Taco Truck (tacotrucknyc.com), Kool Man Ice Cream, Peak Organic Brewing Company, Radeberger Pilsner & other local caterers.
On Display : Hot rods courtesy of The Rumblers (rumblersnyc.com)
Live Performances by : Drug Rug, The Subjects, Meowskers and More!

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions or additional information needed.

Sincerely,

Joseph Franquinha, Co-Curator

Joseph Franquinha
Crest True Value Hardware &
Urban Garden Center
558 Metropolitan Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11211
O. 718.388.9521
F. 718.388.6433
M. 646.533.7275
www.CrestHardwareArtShow.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 12:27PM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 13