Exploring the outer boroughs

Posted by Tom 
Tom
Exploring the outer boroughs
February 07, 2008 08:35AM
I would like to check out "Little Italy" in the Bronx as well as the Hunters Point and Queensboro Plaza area of Long Island City. As far as getting to the Little Italy area, what would be the best way? I will be using the subway. Also, is it a safe area from the subway stop to Little Italy to wander around alone. How safe is the Hunters Point and Queensboro Plaza area? I will be photographing in these areas. Thanks for any info you can help me with.
Re: Exploring the outer boroughs
February 07, 2008 09:07AM
I live o 46th street on the 7 line a few stops past Queensboro Plaza. It's a very safe area but like anywhere in NYC just be aware of what's going on around you. Hunters Point is interesting beside it's up and coming status. Right there you'll find PS1, a very large contemporary art museum. There's a great photo opportunity if your into grafitti across the street where you'll find an old warehouse tagged from top to bottom called 5 Points [www.askanewyorker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2008 09:13AM by askanewyorker.
Tom
February 07, 2008 11:47AM
Thanks for the info. I saw that warehouse this past Saturday going by on the N train. I didn't know if it would be a good idea to get off and walk over to that area.
February 07, 2008 12:39PM
It's really no big deal. What's a real trip is expoloring inside the building. There's a real mix of artist spaces and sweat shops. The roof top is wild every square inch is grafitti.Chances are if it's decent weather you'll see guys tagging the building with out any fear of being arrested.
February 07, 2008 05:38PM
Below is another link on 5 Pointz. You do have to have a permit from the building owners to so your thing. My son who learned his lesson moody smiley from the link KM sent above, was able to visit 5 ptz in June. He spoke to many artists who were working there. It really gave him a more mature look to his artwork, which is now on canvas.eye rolling smiley

[www.askanewyorker.com]
Tom
February 08, 2008 12:52PM
I checked out the link, it looks like it might be worth a look. Which might be the closest subway stop? Also, if I just want to photograph and look around do I need to check-in with anyone?
February 08, 2008 03:48PM
KM can tell you which stop, but you can also go to link on the home page here to hopstop.com where you can get all your directions in advance printed out for your trip. It was quite handy for me to do this before I left, and each day once we decided where we were going that day, I pulled out the directions from our apt. to the trip of the day.

It's across from PS1 MOMA, so go to that website for an address for hopstop.
February 08, 2008 05:58PM
the subway stop for the PS1 museum is the court house square stop. the E,V,7,and G go there. I think you would get out at the exit where the G and 7 are.
Tom
February 12, 2008 07:20AM
It looks like the 7 train will be the ticket. Thanks for your help.

Now, if anyone can help be get to the Bronx, around Arthur and 187th. St., it would be much appreciated.
February 12, 2008 07:35AM
tom, you should look at this page:
[www.askanewyorker.com]

in the bronx/arthur ave piece, it tells you how to get there.
Tom
February 12, 2008 08:46AM
Kelly, that page was very helpful with a nice map too. It suggests taking the bus to Arthur Ave. from the subway stop. Do you or anyone else know if it is a safe walk to Arthur Ave. from the subway? It does not appear to be that long of a walk.
February 12, 2008 01:24PM
I've walked from the bronx zoo to arthur ave and it was totally fine. The area seemed OK.
one more thing, don't go on a sunday. I went on a sunday and almost everything was closed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 01:27PM by Kelly.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 8