UES, UWS, East Village?

Posted by Juan 
UES, UWS, East Village?
June 29, 2006 07:47PM
Hello Everyone. As some of you know, I just moved to NYC from Florida. I am currently subletting an apartment in the Downtown Brooklyn area. My GF and I really like it but we want to experience Manhattan living at a decent price. Now, I have done enough research to know that a studio in a nice area in Downtown BK could be priced the same as the same apt in the UES, so we are not discouraged by all the talk surrounding rent prices in Manhattan. With that said, we have a move-in date for August 1st when our sublet expires. We have seen various apts on the UES, and we have yet to explore apts in the UWS and the East Village. I know that these areas are pricey but i have seen with my own eyes some pretty decent deals show up on Craigslist and other real estate sites. Now, I am seeking advice from you guys/girls that have lived in these areas personally. What is the major differences between the UES and UWS? Is the East Village all its wrapped up to be? Which areas have the best "bang for your buck?" Which area is the safest? Which one has a more distinct cultural presence? (ex: young professionals, families,etc.) These are just some of the questions I am seeking to be answered. Thanks alot to anyone and everyone that can help.

Re: UES, UWS, East Village?
June 30, 2006 06:08PM
I live on the UES. It's become a magnet for 20-somethings because of the large stock of small walk-up apartments. There are lots of restaurants and bars that cater to this market. So if you fit that profile, you'd love the UES. The downside is that we're stuck with the worst subway line in the city (4, 5, 6), and it can be a nightmare.

If I could live anywhere, it'd be the UWS. I want to say it's more family oriented, but there are lots of families on the east side as well. I just find the "vibe" is a bit older and more cultured on the west side. I like the food shopping more too. And you've got access to more subway lines.

Both areas are very safe.
June 30, 2006 06:32PM
I'm in my 20s and live on the UWS--in the 80s. I love it. I've looked at places on the East Side and tried to convice myself to move over there (I could get more space for my money) but just haven't been able to bring myself to actually do it. In my opinion, the UWS is more laid-back/casual than the East Side, which I like. I work in the arts, and have found lots of like-minded people on the West Side.

Also, I enjoy being close to places like Fairway, Zabars, Lincoln Center, Columbia U, Riverside Park, etc. Convenient transportation (easy access to lots of subway lines) is a big plus for me. My friends on the East Side tend to spend more money on cabs than I do, and services (such as dry cleaning/laundry) can run a bit more over there as well.

Both sides are definitely safe, and nice in different ways. It's really all about personal preference. Spend some time in both neighborhoods and see what you think.
June 30, 2006 09:34PM
I am in my 20's and live on the UWS and I love it. I love the subway systems up here. That is the main reason I refuse to live on the UES. Even living at 72nd I am downtown and at work in less than 30 minutes! I would not want to live in the East Village because I think it would be quite loud at night (some may disagree). Everytime I am down there late at night it always seems so loud and bright. The NYU kids living down there wouldn't help the situation either. I work and would prefer to be able to leave my window open at night and not be bothered by the noise. The UWS can also be more difficult neighborhood to find an apt in, I think because there are more owner apts over here but that is speculation. If I had to do it over again I would pick the west side all over.
July 01, 2006 08:04AM
Fora visitor who is looking for a quiet convenient place to lay their head at night. They should look into something in the UWS because it's more convenient and will be quieter? The UES will be quiet too, but not as convenient? Subways?
If staying on the UES, would need to walk the avenues over to the west would be likely? What street numbers are 'to high' so to speak? Such as going past these is a bad area?
Any quieter areas in the east or west village? Downtown or Chelsea?
Staying on Staten Island, are you going to blow a couple of hours each way?
Thank you!
Didn;t mean to hi-jack your thread, just got my head thinking!
July 05, 2006 04:57PM
Great advice! Thanks alot everyone. I am leaning towards UWS or UES alot more than the east village. My GF is fixed on the idea that the East Village is so "cute" and has so much cultural vibe flowing in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her I kinda like it as well. But the idea of living in an area that is consumed by many students doesn't excite me. I was a student just 2 months ago, but I'm not looking for raucous and partying, just a nice neighborhood with lots of restaurants, bars and things to do and also relatively quiet. I live on Atlantic Ave right now in Brooklyn, and I have found it more of a mission to travel to the UWS than the UES, obviously. That is why I have not been able to explore the UWS area. I would like to explore the UWS alot more because I have a feeling I would really like it there. Some friends told me however that living in either Side would be a hassle if I wanted to travel back home after a night out. Supposedly, since most of the trendy-hip areas are in Downtown (e.g. Chelsea, Meatpacking,LES, Village), it would be dangerous to take the subway uptown to the UWS or UES back home at night, all the time. Not really worried for myself more so than for my GF. Any specific street range in the UWS that might fit my preferences and a decent budget? Once again, a studio $1400-$1600. Thanks alot!
July 05, 2006 08:20PM
I'm female and feel perfectly comfortable taking the subway home at night, up until about 12:30 or so. After that I'll usually take a cab if I'm alone. Living on the UWS/UES, the bigger problem is not downtown/uptown, but crosstown. Getting from the Upper West to the Upper East side can be a bit of a pain, especially at night when buses are not as reliable and walking across the park isn't an option. This usually requires a cab. But if you're just looking to get home from downtown spots, you should be fine with the trains.

You'll find studios on the UWS (70s-80s-90s) in your price range, but they're going to be tight for two people. Most of them are actually kind of tight for one person. I'd look at Morningside Heights/Columbia area--you'll find more space for your money up there.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 15