Summer in Manhattan - need budgeting advise NOW

Posted by willacamilla 
Summer in Manhattan - need budgeting advise NOW
April 14, 2006 12:36AM
Please help! I'm interning this summer in Manhattan working in mid-town & living in upper east side but I need to know how much to budget for lunches, groceries, transportation, entertainment, and of course shopping. Though this may be common knowledge to most, I have never been to NY and am unfamiliar with how the prices compare to Texas. I know I won't have to fill up my car(no, we do not ride horses everywhere), but will I be spending that much on cabs? And if you have any wonderful inexpensive tips to share I would love to hear from you. Thanks, Maddie
Heres one, when eating out avoid fast food, especially around times Square. Your

best for food is on the lower east side. There is cheap ethnic food all over the

place there, you just have to look.

i'll get back to you with some listings,

Nicky
Re: Summer in Manhattan - need budgeting advise NOW
April 14, 2006 10:03PM
Are you planning on bringing your car with you?
Parking space is very very expensive.
My advise is don't.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
April 16, 2006 01:48AM
No - Obviously I won't be bringing my car -- I'm an intern working for free! But I do want to go out in the evenings. I will be living in midtown east. If I go to west village or elsewhere, is it safe to take the train home in the evening, or should I only take a cab after dark. Thanks
April 16, 2006 08:11AM
The subway is safe, you shouldn't need to take cabs very often
April 16, 2006 09:01AM
If you don't want to take the subway or the taxis, there are always the buses.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
April 18, 2006 03:20PM
Thought I would put my two cents in here as a single 20 something female. How much you spend will depend ENTIRELY on how you plan on spending your time here. I was chatting with a coworker the other day and though we are the same age we spend our money here in the city very differently. I live alone and pay more for rent, she has 3 roommates and spends on clothes cabs and "refreshments". Going out here in the city can get very expensive if you plan on drinking enough to get drunk. She will go out both nights a weekend and will have to take a cab home due to her state. I, on the other hand, have a water and take the subway. She estimates drinking and cabs cost $100-$150 a weekend. That to me is crazy but she pays less than me in rent so that makes up the difference in rent. Random stories aside. I estimate I spend roughly $50 a week in groceries, although sometimes it can be cheaper to order in than to make it, depending on what you get, which defies logic but is true. I work downtown and lunches are quite expensive. I would estimate at least $5 a meal on lunch and that is a deal most people spend between $8-10 from what I know. I personally bring most of the time, then I don't have to deal with the ever-present debate of where to go to lunch. I just tag along for the conversation. A monthly metrocard is $76 and I rarely find the need to take a cab. Often hopping on the subway or walking is faster due to traffic. The only time I takes cabs is when I have too much to handle on the subway. At night I try to stick to the bus as there is always a driver on the bus and then I never get stuck uncomfortable in the subway car alone with someone. Shopping again depends on your habits, there are great deals to be had in the city but then again overpriced designers abound as well. I rarely pay full price as I am not a trendsetter but my coworker can't be bothered finding a sale so rarely doesn't pay full price. The city is what you make it, there are loads of fun things to do here for free and there are plenty of places that will help you spend your money as well. If you have specific questions I would be more than willing to give my opinion but again that is just my opinion. Each person spends their time and money differently in NY.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 20