Where to live in Manhattan...Help!

Posted by Heather 
HAHAHAHA! I almost died laughing at the lovely posting from "girlygirlnyc." Seriously sweetheart, its no wonder you are from Brooklyn or some other part of NYC outside of Manhattan, you have a horrible attitude, probably from the long commutes. Hahaha! So far my searches are fruitful; I have decided it would be a tad more convenient to live in the UWS or UES, below 90th St. of course. And let me be clear, at the risk of sounding snotty, but I am a SUCCESSFUL professional, not in pharma, but SURGICAL SALES-very different. My income is great- over 6 figs, I own a home in AZ and I just have a hard time paying double my mortgage for a postage stamp sized place, but when in Rome... I am really looking to make a move to Manhattan because I love it there- not from the movies, but from real life visits, and if I am moving across the country I want to live in Manhattan, just a personal preference...I really appreciate the productive advice, so thanks. If anyone has the names of brokerage firms that they would recommend I would love to hear from you.
Re: Where to live in Manhattan...Help!
February 28, 2006 11:30PM
Why didn't you say so earlier? I'm sure Donald Trump has something in his tower for you. With that kind of income, you could easily get a two bedroom with a view, say on one of the top floors of Trump Tower. Better yet, when you move in, the Donald just might beg you to be on his next "Apprentice" cast, because OBVIOUSLY you are SUCCESSFUL.
Haha! PENTHOUSE beyotch!!! BTW The Donald himself is moving my furniture too. Yessssss! I guess I achieved "snotty!"
March 01, 2006 06:30AM
Definitely snotty.
KM
March 01, 2006 08:41AM
Where's uncle Tony when you need him smiling smiley
March 01, 2006 03:20PM
Monica Estrada Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you'll be in the Bronx a lot you might consider
> the upper upper west side or possibly even further
> north into Manhattan, depending on your budget. By
> upper upper west side I mean above 96th St from
> Central Park West to Riverside Drive., up to about
> 125th street. This is a very established
> neighborhood with lots of university students
> (Columbia is on Broadway at 116th St. and has a
> campus going several blocks in every direction
> from there). WHile it has some restaurants and
> clubs, it is not really known for its night life.
> HOwever, if you live in the East Village you may
> be facing some long subway rides into the Bronx.
>
> The more central part of the Upper West side -
> from the 60s to the 90s - is one of Manhattan's
> most prestigious areas to live. There is a lot of
> nightlife in clubs and lounges on the main
> north-south avenues - Columbus and Amsterdam
> especially. And Broadway has great shopping all up
> and down the blocks in that area. It will be more
> pricey than the areas I note above, but you can
> find some affordable apartments in this area. (And
> by affordable I don't mean cheap, but you MIGHT
> find a one bedroom in your price range, as well as
> studios.
>
> The streets just north of Central Park West are
> now being gentrified, as is much of Harlem. Also
> up and coming - but still having a ways to go - is
> Washington Heights, which is the streets west of
> Broadway in the 140s and upward. There are some
> solid old buildings in the area, some of which
> have been renovated, but also many rundown
> buildings. The population is primarily Hispanic
> working and middle class. Some of the buildings
> have magnificent views of Manhattan and the Hudson
> River.

Ummm I don't know where you get your information from but the Heights is not west of Broadway. The Heights is NORTH of 155th Street to about Dyckman St., EAST & WEST of Broadway. Of course the nicer, cleaner, quieter & safer side is west of Broadway. North of Dyckman St. is Inwood which goes all the way up to the 225th Street Bridge (I think its like 220th Street). Again, the nicer part is west of Broadway, although I grew up on the east side in a 5 story walkup building & my parents paid about $120 for a 2 bedroom (back in 92).

Cheap places in Manhattan do exist, but you get what you pay for. Our rent was cheap bc my father lived there since he was a kid. But we couldn't have an AC in the summer, no elevator, the power often blew & we had mice, roaches & the occassional gun shot every now & then.

Welcome to NY!
So the plan is to live between 59th St. and 80th St. on the UWS. Either practically on CP or close to Riverside Park, I've found some great websites, besides "Craig's List" that seemingly have legit postings. I have spent a lot of time on the computer and phone since I am not there, so although I haven't seen the apts I have a slight idea of what to expect. If you put in the time and are pro-active, not lazy about the approach, I think it can be done--without even paying any broker fees to boot! I'll be back at the end of the month to see the fruits of my labor. And you are right, you do get what you pay for, but if you do some research and have a little time to be flexible I think you can find a smokin' deal, I'll keep you posted.
March 02, 2006 06:32AM
Good luck. When I moved to NY I did months of research online with many sites that showed what seemed to be great apartments but it really is necessary to see them in person, when I actually arrived and spent time looking around I was appalled at some of the things I was being offered for between $4000 and $5500 and that was nearly 3 years ago. It may be a good idea to sublet for a little while to have the time to find the right place without being locked into anything long term also it may be worth your while contacting some buildings directly. By the way we found a wonderful apartment in Chelsea for $4300 which we left last May and they were then asking $5300 for it and there was a waiting list.
Heather, let me be the first to say thank you for your decision to stay out of Brooklyn. Whole swaths of my lovely borough have been ruined by privileged and "successful" rubes like you.

I thank the good Lord I am not a peep in your demographic.
So what is the best way to find sublets in Manhattan, prefferably UWS below 89th? I should be in town for a few days in the next few weeks so any advice would be helpful...Thanks!
March 04, 2006 07:50PM
www.sublet.com
Thank you for the info, I have already been on sublets.com, and they don't seem to have too many apts listed...any other clues on how to discover sublets in Manhattan?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 7