London boy asks Manhattan: Where should I live?

Posted by Nick 
Hi all,

I'm moving to Manhattan for around 6 months and have the luxury of having the choice of a company apartment for the duration of my stay.

I'm 29 and looking to have fun during my stay (aren't we all?) so would like to be close to bars/clubs/restaurants/concert venues etc. The choices I have are as follows:

East 23rd and 1st
East 29th and 5th
East 38th and 2nd
East 66th and 1st
East 69th and 3rd
East 71st and York Ave (opposite Roosevelt Island)

West 27th & Avenue of Americas
West 43rd and 9th
West 49th and 8th
West 56th and Broadway
West 89th and Amsterdam
West 94th and Broadway

My office will be next to Madison Square Park and ideally would like to keep the commute below 45 mins.

Sorry to overload you with so much information, any advice you can give will be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nick.
of those choices, I would choose either 27th and 6th (aka ave of americas) or 29th and 5th. you will be close to work, and in a convenient area.
Re: London boy asks Manhattan: Where should I live?
March 09, 2006 07:46PM
I agree with Kelly, I lived at W26th and 6th and loved it, there are some very good places around there and it is so convenient for getting anywhere.

Restaurants/Bars that I can recommend are Orchid and Rogue,which are both on 6th Ave between W25th and W26th Sts (wonderful food and great atmosphere, Orchid becomes a club after 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays) The Black Door on 26th between 6th and 7th, Kavehaz and Gstaad on 26th between 6th and Broadway, also for a real local there is always the Limerick on W23rd between 6th and 5th. For great Japanese, Coco Sushi on 26th between 6th and 7th (nearer 7th) Also for great pub food, Mustang Sallys on 7th between 28th and 29th,also O'Reillys on W31st between 6th and Broadway.

Which building is the one on 6th and W27th, is it the Aston? We lived in Chelsea Tower. You will find that you will meet some of your neighbours from your building and other nearby buildings in many of these places.
Hey Kelly & Marea,

Thanks for your tips - I think 27 and 6th looks like it's going to be a winner!

Great tips on the bars as well - just what I needed.. smiling smiley

Thanks again!

Nick.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 6