money

Posted by LindseyC696 
money
September 05, 2005 10:12PM
Ok i'm going to try asking a question on here again and hopefully this time i will get replies. i am moving to nyc next year (sometime between february and august, depending on my job) and my question is approximately how much money will I need to have saved? i know about first month, last month, etc, etc but is it possible to find a decent apartment without a brokers fee?? is it possible to find private owned apartments with minimal fees/deposits? what about credit and guarantor (or whatever its called)?? any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. i also accept charity donations to my moving fund :-)
:-)
Re: money
September 05, 2005 11:18PM
i am moving to nyc next year (sometime between february and august, depending on my job) and my question is approximately how much money will I need to have saved? i know about first month, last month, etc, etc but is it possible to find a decent apartment without a brokers fee?? is it possible to find private owned apartments with minimal fees/deposits? what about credit and guarantor (or whatever its called)?? any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lindsey;
Your e-mail address shows a "carolina" address. I presume thats NC, where I'm from. I'm also considering moving to NYC, but its a while yet. I've done some looking at how to do it right and here's what I know.

You're correct with the rent part of deposits, but you'll also need to make 4-5 times in yearly income of your monthly rent to get an apt.
Example: You find a $2000 a month (24,000 yearly) apt. For a landlord to agree to rent, you'd need to make a yearly income of $80-100,000,or more.
There are plenty of brokers that find apt for little or no fees. One of the best places to find apt's to rent, short term, until you can find a better place is at www.craiglistnyc.com. Or type in craiglistnyc on google and it'll pull it up.
You can also do word searches on google for "moving to new york city" that'll pull up websites that provide very valuable information to help provide as smoothe move as possible.

Please keep me up to date the progress you make and when you're move will be.
I've been to nyc/Manhattan once this year and plan to return in April 2006 for the auto show.
I'm currently looking at renting one of the locals apts instead of a hotel room.

Sincerely
Jeff Smith, jsmith27379@triad.rr.com
September 05, 2005 11:45PM
Lindsey,

I am currently trying to "make it in the city." I did not have a swath of money saved up. I found an apartment on craigslist. It is a little tricky to figure out which ads to pursue. I found a really cheap apartment with all utilities paid. No brokers fee (A huge plus! $$$). I had great credit, but it was not checked.

No donations here... but I have recently made the transition, so if you let me know what your email is, I could give you some more personal advice. It is definately worth it.

Brian
September 05, 2005 11:49PM
my email is tinkerbell696@hotmail.com...i would looooove some advice. everything i'm hearing (see the last guy's response) has been very depressing. i've been told to have about $5000 saved up. it might as well be a million for as long as it would take me to save it. please offer advice that you can!!!

THANK YOU!!!
Lindsey
Kelly M
September 06, 2005 06:25AM
When I first moved here, I got an apartment through a broker just because I didn't have time to look for a non-broker apartment. If you have time, or can sublet a place while you look (that's a good idea!), you could probably find a no-fee apartment on Craigslist or other places like that. If you go via a broker, you'll pay a fee of about 10-12% of a year's rent. For a thousand dollar a month apartment, I had to cough up just over $3000 (1st, last month rent plus broker). Then don't forget furniture and stuff, you'll need money for all that of course. and next month's rent is due in no time! You say $5000 you have saved up...good. You'll need at least that. Do you think you'll have a job right away? You could get by with that $5000 then. Good luck.
Kathy
September 06, 2005 06:37AM
You are saying everything you are hearing sounds depressing... well, New York is not cheap. When you search the earlier topics, you will find lots of information about areas outside Manhattan that are cheaper. One option could be to share an apartment. Have a look at these threads, maybe it is helpful.

[www.askanewyorker.com]

[www.askanewyorker.com]

[www.askanewyorker.com]
September 06, 2005 01:09PM
new york is expensive?? really?? no way!!!! i've done my research, i know whats available in what areas. i know about areas outside of manhattan, i know about having a roommate. i've worked out the logistics for once i'm there but i need to know about preparation. i will have a job going up there because i work for a major cosmetics company so i will be working for their corporate offices. i know i can afford an apartment up to about 1500 but i just dont know the logistics of qualifying for that apt, how much to put down, etc. i have all of my furniture and everything, i've lived on my own for 10 years just not in new york. i'm sorry to sound sarcastic but i'm sooooo tired of people telling me new york is not cheap. i most definitely know that! millions upon millions of people live in new york and some even live in manhattan. i know not everyone makes 100,000 a year there so somebody had to get a reasonable place at some point.
i appreciate everyone offering their advice.

Lindsey
Kathy
September 06, 2005 05:05PM
I'm sorry I offended you by offering unwanted advice, but your post asking for any advice and tips was not very clear and from several of your posts I got the impression that money was an issue. Good luck.
September 06, 2005 05:33PM
LindseyC696 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> new york is expensive?? really?? no way!!!!
> i've done my research, i know whats available in
> what areas. i know about areas outside of
> manhattan, i know about having a roommate. i've
> worked out the logistics for once i'm there but i
> need to know about preparation. i will have a job
> going up there because i work for a major
> cosmetics company so i will be working for their
> corporate offices. i know i can afford an
> apartment up to about 1500 but i just dont know
> the logistics of qualifying for that apt, how much
> to put down, etc. i have all of my furniture and
> everything, i've lived on my own for 10 years just
> not in new york. i'm sorry to sound sarcastic but
> i'm sooooo tired of people telling me new york is
> not cheap. i most definitely know that! millions
> upon millions of people live in new york and some
> even live in manhattan. i know not everyone makes
> 100,000 a year there so somebody had to get a
> reasonable place at some point.
> i appreciate everyone offering their advice.
>
> Lindsey

I've never lived in NYC/Manhattan or its surrounding boroughs, but I did 5+ months research for my first trip. I studied Manhattan in several ways. Your view that NYC can be livable on the cheap/inexpensive side is just plain ridiculous. The logistics of renting an apt @ $1500 a month are this. You'll have to have an income of 4-5 times that to be "qualified", and thats just the first step. This means for an $18,000 year apt, you'll need to earn minimum $75,000. I've lived on my own for 20+ years, and like you not in new york. However, I KNOW....OF......the sticker stock of the prices of everything in nyc compared to the rest of the U.S.
What you haven't realized yet is that NYC/Manhattan is "another world". Essentially, in regards to monthly bills, you double what you are used to paying. You triple or quadruple housing, and thats just to start.
There are few apts in the United States that START at $1 million or more, that are comparable to Manhattan's, and thats what the typical decent size will cost you. AT a minimum, half million to quarter million.

The reason you keep hearing of the stark contrast of high cost is because of its stark contrast of cost......hello.
The flip side of this is that once you accept this, and rethink it out, you'll realize that "hey, this IS MANHATTAN"....it's awesome....like no other place in the world.......you get energized, pumped up, adrenaline rush, and you are driven to find a way to rise up to the contrasting cost of living there.

It all depends on just how much you want to live there, because once you decide you really want to, you'll grow in so many ways you never imagined, and enjoy one of the most joyous places in the world........

After you've adjusted, and grown....you'll look back and say to yourself in the mirror smiling.......and probably with tears.......

" HEY......YOU DID IT.....I LIVE IN MANHATTAN.....!!! "

Jeff Smith, jsmith27379@triad.rr.com.

btw, I like Manhattan also.........wink.
September 06, 2005 05:40PM
let me repeat something that you said, YOU DONT LIVE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
your quotes on income have no merit because if that were the case, where would the waitresses and bartenders and starving artists live??? again i say, millions upon millions of people live there and make it on MUCH less than 75000 a year. i've researched nyc since i was 15, so about 12 years. i know what the costs are and what the city is like. i know people that live there and have lived there for years. who have you talked to? donald trump? the olsen twins?
i am not looking for advice on making it in nyc once i get there because i know i will be fine. i wanted to know realistic figures on getting started. while i appreciate your time jeff, your advice is not realistic and your recruitment is unwanted. please follow another thread!!!
Kelly M
September 06, 2005 05:54PM
Jeff is right about a few things, but I'm not so sure that this caluculation about you have to make a yearly salary 5 times more than your rent is a "hard and fast rule". It's been awhile since I was apartment searching, but I don't remember that. I started off in nyc making $37,500. My rent was $1000. How does that calculate?? I had no problem getting that apartment. If your credit is good and you have otherwise good credentials, that counts for something too, I'd think.
Most people who come on this site who are looking for a place tend, in my opinion, to think they can afford a rent higher than (I think) is realistic. Just keep that in mind. Good luck to you, Lindsey. and you too, Jeff.
September 06, 2005 06:27PM
thanks kelly. where did you live that your rent was 1000?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 23