Cheap hotel, just outside manhattan?

Posted by lm4883 
I am coming to New York for a few days and am looking to stay in a relatively cheap, but clean and nice place while I am here. I am looking for something outside of Manhattan (Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey) because I am looking for something cheaper, and I am also looking for a place that offers free parking, or "not too expensive" parking, because I am driving into the city. I am not going to sight-see, I am going to look at apartments, so a hotel that offered internet would be even better (I don't have a laptop, but some hotels have a public kiosk in their lobby guests can use.).

I found this place and wanted to get people's opinions of it: "Pan American Hotel", located in Queens (79-00 Queens Blvd, Elmhurst NY 11373). Is this a safe area? Apparently, the subway is 5 blocks away and I would probably be walking by myself (I am a young white female).

Thanks for any help you all have!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2005 01:47PM by (n/a).
Betoracle
Re: Cheap hotel, just outside manhattan?
July 31, 2005 05:59PM
The outer boroughs don't have many hotels. I'm not sure about the Pan American, I believe it might be located near LaGuardia Airport. You do not want to stay near an airport at all, as there is no place to walk around and nothing to do. The only Manhattan hotel I know that offers free parking is the Travel Inn. The Skyline has cheap parking, around $10 a day. You can find reviews of the hotels on www.tripadvisor.com.
Betoracle
July 31, 2005 06:04PM
I was wrong about the location, it's not at the airport. It's gotten some very good reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. So it looks like a good location if you're looking to move to Queens.
My wife and I have stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City which is aross the Hudson from the WTC site. It was less than $100 a night and spacious and clean. We are planning to do it again in a few weeks. The PATH train will take you right into Manhattan for $1.50 and in less than 5 minutes.
Peter has a good suggestion, my husband and I stayed in Pavonia Newport which is in Jersey City while we were apartment hunting and it is really close to Manhattan and all areas via the Path train.
I am not for sure because I get deals at hotels but I believe a friend of mine stayed at the Marriott in brooklyn (just over the bridge for a pretty good rate) You have to check the marriott website, sometimes they have specials the closer you get to the date. It also looked like a very nice hotel.
Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions. I think I will get something in Jersey City for the ease of getting into the city on the PATH train. Thanks!!
I posted a comment on August 1 about staying in Jersey City because it was less expensive and fairly convenient. I stand by those comments, but I want anyone who does stay there to be careful about parking in the Jersey City/Pavonia-Newport Area. My wife and I shopped at the local Shop Rite and then moved our car closer to the Pep Boys to check and see if the Newport Macy's Store was open. When we returned less than half an hour later our car was gone, having been impounded because the tow company was watching people in the parking lot, and we walked the wrong way. The signs were not clear either, that parking for Newport Mall is not allowed in the Pep Boys/BJs/Shop Rite lot.
It cost over $100 to get our car back.
Be careful in Jersey City!
You could try the La Quinta Inn in Sunnyside, Queens. It is right across the street from the 7 train which is a quick ride into Manhattan. It is right on Queens Blvd. so there are plenty of places to eat around there. Parking is a bit of a pain but you should be able to find a spot on the street. Just make sure and read the signs so that you don't get a ticket.
August 28, 2005 03:03PM
Speaking of Jersey City, anyone know the Holland Motor Lodge? I found a very inexpensive room there so I'm curious about how nice/safe it is as I will be traveling alone and walking to the PATH alone. it seems to be on the website and came recommended from the newport mall employee. any thoughts???
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 26