Apartment in Manhattan..

Posted by Linnet 
Linnet
Apartment in Manhattan..
July 05, 2005 11:34AM
hi,

I’m Linnet and I’m 19 years old.. I’m going to live in New York next year! But I don’t have an apartment, so right now I’m looking for one! I was just wondering what is a nice place/neighborhood in Manhattan? That isn’t very expensive or something like that.. Hope you can help..

x Linnet
Re: Apartment in Manhattan..
July 05, 2005 12:46PM
Okay Manhattan is all about location. I once heard the 2 scarcest things in Manhattan are a good neighborhood followed by space. Prepare to live in close quarters. Consider a share, I know that saves alot not only in rent but in bills as well. Craigslist.org lists shares available. Also consider an outer borough by living not on Manhattan that helps rent considerably there are 1 bedrooms cheaper than studios in Manhattan. Also consider where in Manhattan you want to live, Upper West/East Sides are generally cheaper than Chelsea or Greenwich Village. You aren't likely to find a 1 bedroom in Chelsea for $800 a month. You can find deals but you have to have a bit of luck and lots of searching. People spend weeks just looking for a good place. Try Morningside Heights by Columbia, that will be cheaper but still a safe area. Also I know the Lower East Side is going through some regentrification (is that the word? I think so...) which is increasing rents but you might get some that are still reasonable but the transportation isn't convenient there. Look at the location and definitely consider the neighborhood (need laundry, groceries, subway nearby) before making a decision.
Linnet
July 05, 2005 02:01PM
Thank You!!
I will certainly have a look at the Lower East Side.. I think it will be hard to find a nice apartment in Manhattan, but I will search there first and then look elsewhere.

Do you, or does anyone else, know an other area (than Manhattan) that is cheaper but still safe?
Red
July 06, 2005 08:39AM
Frequently cited on this board: Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside and Jackson Heights in Queens and Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Boerum Hill, and parts of Sunset Park and Prospect Heights in Brooklyn are good and popular options.
Laundry/laundromat
August 03, 2005 10:34AM
Hi, I am new to New York and would like to rent an apartment on the Upper West Side, but am appalled at the prospect of having to waste time sitting around in a laundromat. Are there any services that will collect and deliver washing to your door, and how much does that kind of thing cost?
Kelly M
Re: Laundry/laundromat
August 03, 2005 11:03AM
there are lots of places where you can drop off your laundry and collect it later on, and some will also deliver. They usually charge some small-ish charge per pound of clothing, with a minimum of so many pounds per order. I used to do this, and my usual charge was about ten dollars.
KT
Re: Laundry/laundromat
August 03, 2005 11:24AM
Have a look at this site..[www.ladieswholaunder.com]. I'm sure there must be more companies, but this is one I'd heard of.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 24?
Online Users

Guests: 13