Our June Trip was Wonderful!

Posted by Salsa 
Our June Trip was Wonderful!
July 05, 2005 12:02AM
Finally have a minute to sit and write about the trip. It was a Mom/Daughter trip. Maverick is 18. We had both been to NYC before, but not together.

First off, the very best part was seeing Betoracle, KM and Kelly in person after chatting for 2 years! Thank you so much for the time you spent with Maverick and I.

Wednesday - Arrived at 11:30 p.m., after a bit of delay,took the Tel-Aviv car we had scheduled to our studio apartment. What a pretty street we arrived on. A nice impression from the start. The Robert night manager was sleepy but very nice and helpful. He took us to our room, which I was not impressed with. It was not what I had ordered (2 double beds)and it was rather dreary. Almost like being in the basement. Oh well it was only for sleeping. It had a double bed and a futon which Maverick was happy about, as she had said from the get go, no matter where we sleep, I just want my own bed. Robert said he would have the day manager (George) look into our room situation. Just as we were getting ready for bed a knock, we were in the wrong room. Zipped everything up and we were taken up to the 2nd floor to a very lovely room. It was called the Dubliner. Still only a double bed with a futon, but a large room by New York standards, maybe 600 sf, with a little kitchen and bathroom. There was a balcony to climb out to and enjoy the view of the very expensive backyards of the townhouses around us.

The morning showed how much nicer the room was. Lots of morning light pouring in from the beautiful corner windows. It had the feel of a writers room. At 8:00 George called to say we were again in the wrong room, and to leave our bags and he would move them to our correct room while we were gone, the largest room in the house. No problem. Everyone was so nice and we were just happy to be in NYC.

8:30 we met Betoracle just before she hopped on the subway. She gave us coupons for Lord & Taylor in case we were able to shop. It was so great to see her! BIG HUGS!

Back to the apartment to get the bags ready, and at 9:30 we were off to Central Park which was 2 blocks away. We walked in at 80th & 5th. Art Museum. We decided to walk from there to my NY company headquarters on 52nd & 7th. We loved Turtle Pond and took the time to enjoy all the turtles swimming below the deck. We zigged and zagged our way through the park, enjoying it all. It was a warm overcast morning so everything looked extra green.

Arrived in my office, the first time in 22 years I had been there. Met up with my new pal Laura. She introduced me to the many people I have talked to, but never met. She gave me passes to see the Intrepid which I was really excited to see. Annette gave us a great restaurant recommendation. It was great talking to everyone and getting tips on what to see and do.

We left there and went to the Wellington Hotel to meet up with my in-laws David & Ruth. If you want to be in the midst of what is known as "everything", I would reccommend staying there. We saw there room, and the lobby was very nice too. The staff was very helpful with everyone.

Off to MOMA! We really enjoyed seeing what we have only seen as a postcard or poster before. Maverick was in heaven seeing the real Starry Night. Great gift shop there. Do not eat there unless you have unlimited funds. The restaurant is VERY expensive and the Cafe was not much cheaper. Ruth had the least expensive thing on the menu. Spring Pea Soup with a nice mound of crab in the center. Very beautiful, very delicious and only $15.00. No lie. I was amazed. The muesums in my city are all tourist and kid friendly when it comes to eating amenities. There was nothing a child would eat there. I went for the $6.00 Pannecotta dessert with rhubarb marmelade. It was very good, and gorgeous too. The lines at the gift shop put a little behind. Ruth said "you are taking a cab back to your place right?". I had planned on the subway, but, for some reason I decided to try the cab even though my instints (and knowing better because of this forum) told me not to. It was 4:45, and we were planning to meet at 6:00 at Villa Brazil for dinner. After trying for a half hour, walking all over the place, we went to the subway and were at our stop on 77th in 10 minutes. We were changed and ready to go at 6:00 called the restaurant to say eat without us. Love my Girl Scout! Maverick had a Tuna Lunch in her backpack. She mixed it up and we had a nice dinner listening to the HUGE rainstorm outside. By 6:30 when we left for the theatre the rain was gone, and off we went.

We saw Brooklyn the musical. We loved the sets and actors were fabulous. The story was weak, so we all gave it a B. Enjoyed the walk to the subway, and then home. It really was nice to go home, and not to a hotel.

Friday - Met David and Ruth at their hotel. Then off too "whatever hits us". Maverick wanted to see SoHo, not for shopping, but for the feel of the neighborhood. The buildings are really cool there. Of course we did go into a few shops. Ruth found some great earrings. I was more into the street vendor stuff and was trying to decide if I should buy a necklace I saw made of seeds. Very chucky and ethnic, the in thing this summer. I waited.

From there we walked along Canal Street enjoying how the blocks change. From restaurant equiptment for several blocks, to designing or improving your restaurant or business because next were all the lighting, and furniture stores. Last on our journey was what you do once you are successful, you buy your loved one jewelry! Tons of jewelry stores. Loved looking at all the jade.

Then into Chinatown for lunch. Great lunch and I will have to say later what restaurant we went to. Only cash, no credit cards. Food was good. Then we looked at all the little shops in Chinatown. Bought a Chinese purse and some gifts for Christmas. We were then into Little Italy. Popped into a wonderful bakery for Cappachino and Dessert. I had pignoli cookies that were melt in your mouth wonderful. We really enjoyed all the meandering with no purpose. Especially David and Ruth, who always have an agenda when they come into the city. They really enjoyed just hanging out.

David and Ruth wanted to see our place before the took off to see WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF. We stopped at a little grocery called Butterfield for melon, cheese, and drinks. As we were eating, Ruth noticed the play was over 3 hours and they still had a 2 hour drive to Maryland afterwards. David looks around our apartment, and says, "hmmmm, 2 double beds, 2 futons...., can we sleep in the futons?". No, I said, but you can have Maverick's bed, and she can sleep in the futon. I gave them the extra key as we planned on being out late that night. David and Maverick left for the Wellington to grab the luggage.

I called Betoracle to see if she was home from work yet. She had just walked in. She popped over and I enjoyed listening to her and Ruth talk theatre. Ruth acts in community theatre. Betoracle sees everything she can on Broadway.

We had a nice visit. David and Ruth left for the theatre, and the rest of us got aquainted more. Then I walked Betoracle home and she showed me some cool things in the neighborhood. When I got home, Maverick was sound asleep. We had planned on going to a poetry slam, but she was wiped out. So we got cozy and did postcards and journals.

Well, it is my bed time. Will try to finish this long missive tomorrow. Betoracle, question about Shutterfly. Can I title my photos once I transfer them, or do I have to title them first. I did title them all, but then PhotoStudio put them in alphabetical order! No longer in the order they were taken. I was thinking of downloading them again, putting them on Shutterfly, and then naming them. Let me know. Miss you dearly girlfriend.
Re: Our June Trip was Wonderful!
July 05, 2005 07:10AM
I'm reading this first instalment on our first morning in New Orleans(chucking down with rain!). Can't wait for the rest Salsa, felt as though I was with you all the way.
July 05, 2005 07:58AM
KM and Kelly here...
we enjoyed meeting you too! It was a lot of fun and we're so glad you had a good time.
July 05, 2005 09:13AM
Eagerly awaiting your next installment, loved the photos that Betoracle sent me.

Hope you are enjoying New Orleans Kazza, did you ring that cabbie that I told you about?
Betoracle
July 05, 2005 10:59AM
I miss you guys! On Shutterfly I downloaded everything and then arranged the album, retitled slides, cropped them, etc. You can arrange the order any way you like, and add captions.

I've got to download the Ange & 22Seconds photos, but I won't get to that until tomorrow. I'm about to go meet them to say "ta" at Macy's. (ES, are you listening? Yes, I am going to Macy's today!)

Later guys.... talk to you soon.

Kazza, hope your weather improves and I hope you get New Orleans out of your systems. I'll talk with you soon and of course will see you in New York.
July 05, 2005 06:04PM
Marea...lost all that info as my old laptop crashed and died. We're having a great time, the hotel is fabulous. Weather isn't improving but at least it's keeping the heat down to a nice level. Tropical storm is due to hit overnight. Crikey, we get enough of this wet stuff at home!

Betoracle....glad you went to Macys! When is it Ange goes back ?
July 05, 2005 06:26PM
There's so much fun to have in New Orleans the weather shouldn't affect it too much. Hope it's like Sydney, when we get the tropical storms in summer then next day is usually a tiny bit cooler.
July 06, 2005 07:30AM
Marea...you're right...a bit cooler this morning(still warm though!). Tiny bits of blue skies can be seen through the clouds, looks like it might be a blustery day. I'm on holiday though so I couldn't give two hoots! Still wished we'd stopped off in NYC. Betoracle, your powers of persuasion on Davey were terrible!!!!!!
July 07, 2005 05:57PM
I forgot to mention that we went to Via Brasil after the theater. David and Ruth enjoyed dinner there so much, they wanted to go for coffee and dessert afterwards. We also ordered caipirinhas but they were not made to my liking, at least not to the way I have had them made for me by my Brazilian students. Not sweet enough. Very nice atmosphere, and great service.

Okay, before the old memory goes...... Saturday! A fabulous day! At Betoracle's suggestion, we met at Le Pain Quotidien for a very nice breakfast. Organic Belgian with a Country French atmosphere. Can't remember the last time I had a soft boiled egg, and it was delish! I wish I had bought a jar of the Apricot Preserves, they were the best ever.

From there, David and Ruth left for Maryland,and Betoracle started us off on a full day of fun. The morning was beautiful and sunny.

First stop Gramercy Park, where many of you know Betoracle and I have a fantasy of opening B&R's T&A B&B. So of course we had to scope out where on the Park we wanted our B&B. Maverick took photos of the two entrepeneurs in front of their favorite sites.

Walked a few blocks over to Union Square where the Farmer's Market was going on. Very festive, and plenty of things to catch your eye, or put in your mouth. Down to the subway, where we caught the train to Brighton Beach. Betoracle was on a mission to find Melon Vodka Liquer for KM & Kelly. The subway ride was very nice, and Maverick took some video of what she called great graffitti along the way. My son loved the video when he saw it. I laughed because you could hear Betoracle and I chatting away in the background. I didn't know my digital camera had sound on the video! Our old one didn't.

At Brighton Station (that sounds so British to me) we hit the street and I felt like we were in Russia right away. We walked two short blocks to the beach and Maverick and I dipped our tootsies in the Atlantic ocean. It is a very nice beach with what looks like a brand new boardwalk. Lots of people out walking the boardwalk. What a nice place to have in your neighborhood. Lots of benches to sit and enjoy the view. It was more overcast, what we call June Gloom in California (my original home), but still warm. The water was cool, but not freezing and it felt and smelled good. Love the salty air. Lots of picnics and games going on.

We walked over to Tatiana's a restaurant right on the beach. We loved the view of the beach, and the view of the daily life of the Russians surrounding us. A whole different atmosphere from Manhatten. We each ordered pierogi, pastry dumplings filled with mashed potatoes and cheese. These were delicate, wonderful, and delicious covered with carmalized onions. A perfect lunch, though they were meant to be an appetizer. Bet told me later she was watching a beautiful girl who was model thin, eat 4 huge courses of food, followed by a huge ice cream dessert. We were both jealous, of her beauty, her thinness, and to be young enough to eat like that. I don't think my thin and pretty Maverick had a clue what we were talking about.

Walked the two blocks to the main street for Bet to find her Liquer. First we stopped in a delightful little gourmet food shop. We could have been in The Upper East Side because it was such a pretty shop. It had all manner of dried fruit in bins, and also lots of different candy in bins, which we all loaded up on. Though we loaded up, not one of us had a purchase totalling more than 3 dollars. The first liquor store did not have the liquer Betoracle wanted, but the 2nd one did.

From there we were off to Kennedy & Kelly's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. There was Kelly picture perfect amid a garden of flowers. What a great apartment they have. Kennedy is quite the artist. Glasses of wine and the gift of an AANY'er Tshirt (that my son now wears). Down we went to the basement and up the stairs to the backyard. A very lovely yard it is. I recalled seeing it on AANY'er before covered in snow I believe.

Bet calls Kennedy "The Mayor of Williamsburg" and he should be. From their place we went on the neighborhood tour as we walked to dinner. Dumont's was a place to go to for summer patio dining or I could see that indoors on a cold winters night would be quite cozy. The patio was like deja vu for me, it is the the twin to my neighborhood's Hemingway's Restaurant. We stopped in 3 other restaurant/bars on our way to dinner. Everywhere we went, KM was ever the statesman. No wonder he gets so many great people on the Home page.

We also stopped in at a very cool urban clothing store called Brooklyn Industries where Maverick bought an awesome messenger bag for college. We also found a great tshirt for her brother. I will go to their website for Christmas shopping for sure. They were very helpful and friendly there. Great music too while shopping. Many of their tshirts have local artwork. KM, Maverick was so happy to find that bag. She has been on a mission to find THE BAG for over a year. It has a life-time guarantee too.

A favorite pop in was a restaurant called SEA, they had a 45 minute way so we nixed it, but I did snap a photo of the great interior. A huge Buddah at the end of a beautiful pond with tables on either side. A place to go back to for sure.

We had dinner at Planet Thai which is an L shape, with an entrance at each end. One end is Thai food, the other is Japanese. We ate Japanese. It was very, very good. I have spent a lot of time in Japan, and this was some of the best Japanese food I have had outside of Japan. Many traditional dishes. Dinner was very nice and we enjoyed the walk to the subway. Especially when Miss Bet was flirting with an irishman across the windowsill of an beautiful bar that I can't recall the name of. KM said they had just redone the front because someone had crashed their car into it, he also said Mae West was supposed to have been born above it. It looked like a great place to have a beer and watch a game.

Back to Manhatten. As were tooling home on the train, it lurched to a stop suddenly, started, then lurched again. This was okay until we saw a man walking along the outside, and we were all like "what's going on". There were four young girls across from us saying "I ain't about to go walking along that platform if the expect us to leave this train". Out of curiosity, I asked Bet if she had ever been stuck on a train. What a story she had to tell! 21 hours!

We got off at our respective stops with plans to see each other the next day for a picnic. More about that day later. Time to go home from (ah, cough, cough, ah) work. Hope to have some more time at home tonight to finish.

July 08, 2005 10:36AM
I forgot about KM taking us on the roof of a nearby building for a spectacular view of Brooklyn and Manhatten. We had to climb up 6 or 7 flights of stairs, and believe me Betoracle and I were huffing and puffing. As we caught our breath around the 5th floor the door next to me caught my eye. The name painted on the door was Dr. Martin Liptitz which made me think of Dr. Hackinslash from the Marx Brothers. Think Dr. Liptitz does plastic surgery?

At ground level is a very bizarre movie theatre. Not with a huge marquee like some old theatre. Just a small sign, and there is a peephole you can look into and see trailors of what is playing. Very avant gard all the way around.

Back to work.
Betoracle
July 08, 2005 11:01AM
I love your report! Well, except for the part about us huffing and puffing on the stairs. And I had forgotten about Dr. Liptitz!!!

Looking forward to part two.

Enjoy your weekend. Love to Maverick.
KM
July 08, 2005 11:13AM
Salsa you forgot the racing pigeons smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 21