Weather

Posted by Felicity 
Weather
July 11, 2005 10:43PM
Hi,

I will be in NY from Dec 22 to Jan 7, and I wanted to get a feel for what the weather is like then (something more descriptive than 'super cold'!!!)
I am from Perth in Australia, which has fantastic weather, but I get pretty cold in the winters here, so I think I will freeze over there! How many layers should I pack to keep me warm? I want to spend a lot of time walking around, so I will be outdoors quite a lot.

Also, what things would everyone suggest I do while I am in NY? Any special things happening over Christmas that I should know about? Thanks!
NYer
Re: Weather
July 11, 2005 11:01PM
It can be relatively warm (3-5C) or it can be quite cold and windy (-1 - +3 or so). The weather in New York in the winter changes quite a bit. Christmas is a beautiful time in New York. You will find what to do. It's difficult to describe in a short paragraph, but it's a huge city with many activites.
July 12, 2005 07:32PM
If you get cold in Perth you will certainly feel it in NY. I am from Sydney but cope very well with the cold, fortunately. Get yourself a really warm coat and I don't mean warm by Australian standards. You will need warm gloves, a good thick scarf and probably even a hat, although I found earmuffs enough, then at least two layers under the coat. When you are inside buildings, especially restaurants and bars, you will find them overheated so then you have to unpeel layers. If I were you I'd go to the end of winter sales in a couple of months and pick up something woollen, warm and long, short coats just don't do it in New York, your bum freezes.

As for Xmas you should maybe look at going to the Rockettes Xmas show at Radio City Music Hall and definitely don't miss the Xmas tree at the Rockafeller centre. For other happenings and things to do check out www.jimsdeli.com
July 14, 2005 04:26AM
Thanks for the advice! I bought myself a fantastic winter hat yesterday, it has sherpa wool and is so warm!!!!
Is it best to buy tickets to the Rockettes show now? Or will they maybe get cheaper if I wait til closer to the day?
And, if I do buy tickets now, is broadway.com the best place to buy them?

Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 22?
Online Users

Guests: 4