City Island

Posted by Salsa 
City Island
July 18, 2012 02:44PM
Thinking of a trek to City Island? Any place good for lunch? I saw the movie with Andy Garcia. A friend who used to live in the house the movie was filmed in recommended it to me. It’s been years since he has been back and I thought I would take some snaps for him.

My time is short this trip and wondering if there is anything else out that way I can tie into? He talks about the express bus, or the Pelham line to go out that way. He also talks about Orchard Beach there.

Any tips or info would be much appreciated. Feel free to tell me it's not worth going to.
Re: City Island
July 18, 2012 07:30PM
I had dinner in City Island several years ago, it had been decades since I'd been there. And I haven't had a desire to return either. I can't even remember what we ordered, but I do remember that everything was just so ordinary. I don't remember the name of the place we went -- I think it was Lobster Box? -- but it had been highly recommended. Anyway, I have no desire to schlep up there again. I'd much rather have a fabulous dinner at Aquagrill downtown, or any of the other great Manhattan seafood restaurants.

Salsa, isn't it time for our special Puerto Rican dinner? We still need to find "the" place.
July 18, 2012 08:06PM
Ooooh, I think I've found a place. Looks like it gets insane at peak times though, we might have to do "early bird." I could go for the pernil asado and the bacalao right now!

[www.yelp.com]
July 19, 2012 07:34PM
I go to City Island regularly to escape crowded Manhattan. Definitely recommend eating seafood while there as it's fresh and the priced nicely.

Orchard Beach is nearby (on the way to City Island). The beach was once known as the "Riviera of New York" after the great pavilion and beach were created in the 1930's. There are small islands off of the beach that are really interesting to walk through as well.

In Pelham Bay Park you'll find the Bartow-Pell Mansion which is the only mansion left from the days when people lived downtown and would trek a whole day with their horse and carriage to go to their summer home in the Bronx.

It takes about 6 hours to do all of these activities but well worth it if you want an interesting New York City experience.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 9