First visit to New York

Posted by Ladypanther 
First visit to New York
April 06, 2012 02:30PM
We will be visiting NY for the first time May 18-21st. We are going to the Yankees games but also want to sight see. Where is a good (safe) place to stay (moderate budget - not planning on being in the room that much) that is nearer the sights to see and how can we get to Yankee stadium from there? What are the "must-dos" in terms of sights and food??
Re: First visit to New York
April 06, 2012 04:24PM
The most direct transit to Yankee Stadium is the #4 train that runs up the east, or the D train that runs up the west side. So it's pretty easy from most Manhattan locations.

How many people are you and how many beds will you need? I don't know what your "moderate budget" is, but even budget hotels like the Salisbury and the UN Plaza are showing around $350 a night (including taxes) for that weekend.

As for "must-dos," that depends on what you're interested in. I'd hate to recommend museums if you're not a museum person, or jazz concerts if that's not your thing. There's so much here for every taste. I suggest you go through a guide book and pick out what interests you. Then plot everything on a map so you can focus on one neighborhood at a time.

I think the top things on most people's lists would be Central Park, a Broadway show, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, seeing the city from above at either the Empire State Bldg. or Top of the Rock, exploring the neighborhoods, and a boat cruise. And of course all the food we're famous for, from haute cuisine to hot pastrami.
May 19, 2012 05:38AM
Hi, first of all I would like to say this site is a great idea,

Me and a friend are going to New York for the first time on the 30th of June and are for staying for 8 nights in Lafayette street in Soho. we are really looking forward to this, I was just wanting to know what you would recommend for us to see and if there was any special events on at the time we are over? I know we are there for Independence day. we are both big movie fans and love watching American comedy shows like everybody loves Raymond, Kings of queens, Friends just to name a few and love the humor of Family guy also lol. We are both also big Soccer fans so we would love it if there was any big sporting events or matches that we could go and see like Baseball and American Football as we would love to get to experience this. but there are maybe no matches on when we are over. Hopefully you can give me some info on this, as I am really looking forward to going over and want to make the most of my time there.

Thanks

Declan
Hi and thank you to all the New Yorkers who make this website possible!

My husband and I are coming from Sydney, Australia in March for a week and would love to do a tour of Metlife Stadium. We are staying in Times Square and would like to know the easiest way to get to Metlife. We were thinking maybe a cab would be the easiest?

Also any recommended places to eat in the Times Square area?

Thank you
June 06, 2012 05:30AM
that would be in New Jerseysmiling smileyHome of both the Jets and Giants... You can take a bus from the Port Authortity also at 42nd street and 8th Ave over to the Meadowlands home of Metlife Stadium

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 05:23AM by askanewyorker.
August 26, 2012 04:05PM
A great Service to Parents visiting New York with a baby Infant or Toddler to 5 years is Smarter Toddler - Midtown and Upper west side locations.
Childcare - daycare - prek - preschool - learning centers
[smartertoddler.50megs.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 15