7.30am - Taxi or Subway

Posted by DeaksSpeaks 
7.30am - Taxi or Subway
February 03, 2012 02:45PM
I posted a few questions previously on this forum so here's hoping again.

I'm in New York next week with 22 students aged 16-18. On one particularly packed day we need to get the Staten Island Ferry around 8.00am - 8.30am and return in time for a slot at the 911 Memorial around 10.30am. Should be possible and I note that outbound from Manhattan isn't even considered rush hour at the time - coming back, rush hour should be over.

Anyway, we've to travel early morning at 7.30am or so from East 50th Street and I've got two choices:
- The green line to Bowling Green
- Yellow Taxis

I'm not afraid of the subway and we'll be using at other times. But at that time, I wondered if it is wise.

And the students all want a Yellow Taxi ride at some point - I've got plenty surplus to pay for one extravagance.

How many in a Yellow cab and approx how much?
Is it worth booking a couple of mini-buses instead?

Is this a decent plan or should I stick to the subway? Any advice gratefully received.

(In terms of the rest of the trip, I've taken previous advice a few month ago so there's not a lot I can change now - nice as it is when people offer other ideas.)
Re: 7.30am - Taxi or Subway
February 03, 2012 03:52PM
The subway is quick and easy. Don't all stand in one spot on the subway platform, it's not likely that you all will fit in one subway car, and your group will be blocking the platform. You're better off separating into smaller groups. And make sure everyone has directions in case you're separated.

Don't confuse subway routes, which are designated with a number or letter. The colors are just to make the map easier to read. For example, the 4 and 5 go to Bowling Green, but the 6 (which is also green on the map) does not. So always use the route number/letter, and the direction/destination. From East 50th St., get on the Downtown 6 local (51st & Lexington), and take it one stop to Grand Central. The Downtown 4 or 5 express will be just across the same platform. Take either to Bowling Green.

The Staten Island Ferries hold thousands of passengers, so even if it looks like a huge crowd waiting, you'll have no trouble getting on.

If you have time, I recommending leaving the S.I. ferry terminal and walking along the water to the 9/11 Memorial. It's only a two-minute walk, you'll have plenty of time to see it (and the views), and make the next ferry back to Manhattan. From the S.I. ferry terminal, follow the exit signs for the ball park, the 9/11 Memorial is just past there, you can't miss it.
February 04, 2012 09:55AM
Thanks Oracle - I hadn't quite picked that the E51st station wasn't on the 4,5 routes at that time - although I did know the routes were different to the colours.

That is very useful - chees.

Great tip on The Staten Island Memorial too.
February 04, 2012 04:34PM
Another query then, based on the subway advice previously I've realised that not all 'colour' routes stop at all stations.

After the 911 memorial, I thought I'd be getting the A or C blue line from Fulton Street to either to 14th or 23rd - basically to drop down The High Line on foot and then get back on the red line at Christopher Street to head back to the Times Sqaure area.

Having checked the A and C lines - they both stop at Fulton but not at 23rd.

So, from Fulton...

If we are pressed for time or it's inclement, the A line will go from Fulton to 14th for a shorter walk down The High Line. Is that correct?

But if we have more time, would you get the A or C line and where would the best station be to pick up the E line that DOES stop every time at 23rd?

Thanks - and apologies if I'm already mixed up.
February 04, 2012 04:57PM
After the 911 memorial, take the E from the World Trade Center station, which is right next to the memorial. That's the last stop on the E, so don't look for a direction sign, it'll be going uptown, and wil make all local stops along the way. FYI, the A is an express train (it skips 23rd St.), and the local C doesn't stop at the World Trade Center.

Again, stop thinking in terms of colors! Seriously, that will only get you lost on the subway. There is no "red" line. The lines that are colored red on the map are the 1, 2, 3. The only line that stops at Christopher Street is the #1. And that will take you to Times Square. However, if you're on the High Line and you want to go to Times Square, you can just take an uptown 8th Ave. train to 42nd Street. The A, C and E all stop at 42nd Street, and that station is one block from Times Square.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 6