Breakfast Buffet and evening attractions - Feb

Posted by DeaksSpeaks 
Breakfast Buffet and evening attractions - Feb
November 12, 2011 02:40PM
New to this forum so thanks in advance for any advice.

I am leading a tour party of 25 to New York during Feb 2012 - we are from the UK. I have visited the city twice before so I know most of the schedule.

However, I am strugging with breaksfast. I need somewhere in upper midtown (we are staying between 2nd and 3rd around 49th Street) that will serve us a breakfast buffet. Sbarro chains aren't replying to my emails. Planet Hollywood want £11 ($18) for 'one plated breakfast and one meal' and I think that can be beaten if I can just find th right place. That cost is fine with me - but I want the buffet option.

Also,it is a party of students so I wondered if there are any recommendations for easy / cheap / quick things to do in that hour after the evening meal but before they are ready for bed.

One night we can just let them explore Times Square and another I was going to get the cable car to Roosevelt Island and back - but if there's anything else I'd be interested,

Thanks for reading and for contributing to this forum.
Re: Breakfast Buffet and evening attractions - Feb
November 14, 2011 02:38PM
Buffets aren't popular in New York, and I don't think you'll find any breakfast buffets except perhaps in one of the big hotels.

There are plenty of coffee shops in every neighborhood where you can get inexpensive breakfasts. I would ask the hotel concierge to recommend nearby places you could contact directly to arrange your breakfasts. It's going to be very difficult to find a restaurant that would seat 25 people without prior arrangement.

How old are your students, and what are their interests? Do they have any ideas of what they'd like to do in the evenings?
November 14, 2011 04:16PM
Thanks Oracle. I think we might end up using Cafe Europas or similar - based on what you have said. The problem for me now is that I quoted the breakfast included in the trip price to parents. It will probably mean handing ut $20 bills each morning and sending them off to get food - British parents are always keen that their litte 'uns are eating welL!

The students are 16-19 - as I say it is just somethings to do after the meal I am looking for. it's tricky as it will be Feb and dark. I thought about getting the cable car to Roosevelt island and back - but after reading a few posts on this forum I'm not sure this would be ideal.

Anyway the advice is appreciated - cheers.
November 14, 2011 06:06PM
How many days/nights will you be in New York, and what activities are already planned? Will there be other adults?

The best plan is to split up into groups of 5-6, depending on what the kids feel like doing. Have they expressed any interest in planning their trip and what they would like to do here? What are their interests?

My guess is you need to fill more than one hour between dinner and bed time!
November 15, 2011 04:14PM
Delmonico's Diner is the closest thing I saw to a breakfast buffet while we were there. We ate there twice and enjoyed it. Lots to choose from, hot and cold food. [delmonicosmidtowneast.com]

I think 25 people at once is hard on any business. There is another breakfast/coffee place across the street. I don't recall the name, and maybe another on the north corner same side as Delmonico's. I would divy everyone up on the same block. Easier for everyone all the way around.
November 16, 2011 03:39PM
Oracle - it's Feb 14th for three nights and the students are 16-18. Three adults with the group.

The daily schedule is sorted - I've been to NY before so we've got a range of paid excursions (NBS Tour, Top of the Rock, MoMA) and then loads of walks / tours e.g. Greenwich, High Line, WTC site. We are booked in for evening meals already at around 7pm so that should see us to 8.30pm-ish.

Filling that next gap is the tricky bit. We could let them hang out in the hotel if there is a communal space and people to meet - or even in the blocks around the hotel, but it'll be dark.

They will get free time in the day but it's whether or not I let them have an hour to themselves at night. Around Times Square and so on this would be fine, but Im not so sure elsewhere. So that's why I was looking for short, evening things to do.

Salsa - cheers for the tip. I've made a note of that place. I think you are right - it's looking like I'll just pencil in a hour for breakfast, dole out the $20 notes and let them choose. But is 25 really that hard on businesses in a city like New York?

As you'll have gathered - it's better for me to keep the group together as far as possible and ensure the free time is in a defined space e.g. Times Square, WTC / Wall Street or Fifth Avenue shops.
November 17, 2011 07:49AM
Bum, forgot to do the maths problem when I posted earlier.

Right, I have to apologise for my short and curt response but I have a lesson starting in 10 mins.

What type of students are they? Art, drama? If they aren't art students, why are you going to the MoMa and not the Met? MoMa is great for art students, especially in the short amount of time you are visiting NY, but if they aren't you'd be better off going to the Met has it has something for everyone while not everyone will appreciate modern art. Or are you going there because you want to visit the design store opposite winking smiley

Grand Central would be a good option for breakfast. The food hall has loads of choice which will suit all tastes and there is ample seating. And it's cheap. Oh, not forgetting that it is a completely iconic buildng that they HAVE to see if they are going to New York.

Another point I would like to make (I have taken numerous groups in your age range to New York in February) is that it can be bitterly cold. One year I went it was -50 with the windchill. You do not want to be wandering around too much, especially not at night when the temperature will plummet. They will be jet-lagged and will more than likely want to go to their rooms as soon as they have finished their dinners. If not, why not think about going to see a film as they will be watching something that won't be released in the UK for months or even go to a show. Times Square is good for one evening but not for all 3.

Ground Zero? Tour? Or shopping in Century 21? As you are down there, go over to the Staten Island Ferry terminal and take a boat ride. It's free and the views over Manhattan are amazing.

Could you post your itinerary so we can give you more focussed advice based on what you are doing and where?

Oh, one more thing, make sure you use the subway. Cheaper than cabs and warm. Some of the stations are beautiful and using the NY subway is a fabulous experience in itself. Not forgetting that cabs will be hard to come by when it's freezing and at rush hour.

I'll post more later.

Welcome to the forum smiling smiley

Was once van Mullem, am now just Cozz!
November 17, 2011 03:43PM
Cheers Coz. A very useful reply.

The trip is more of an general enrichment trip than specifically curriculum based - although if there was a slant it is media and photography. MoMA is on there by consensus with the students - as are most of things we're doing. We're on the Staten Islans Ferry and off to Century 21.

Thanks for the shout on weather - I knew it would be well below freezing but I take your point on tiredness in the evenings.

The Grand Central suggestion is first-class, that could well be the plan.

In terms of the schedule, it is pretty much sorted - Ferry, Greenwich walk, shopping time, Central Park, ICP, NBC tour, MoMA, Top of the Rock and so on. I've been to NYC twice in the past three years so the two enquiries on breakfast and the late evening were the only real areas where I felt I needed a bit of advice. Although if you have anything that is MUST-DO for students, then do let me know.
November 17, 2011 06:11PM
Cozz!!!! Great to hear from you! It's been ages! Great idea on Grand Central. Lots of choices, though not a lot for a hot breakfast. But lots of seating.

25 is a lot for an establishment because of the hundrends already asking for service. They only have so much staff. If I were a mgr and knew in advance I would have an extra wait person and an extra cook.

For evening bowling is always fun and I recently saw a t.v. show featuring this place [www.bowlmor.com]
It's on my list of things to do next time in NYC.

I was going to suggest Dave & Buster's a dining and arcade game place which is usually huge. I remember they have a rule on kids under 18 in the evening hours. Parents must be right next to them or something like that. They may be able to section off part of the arcade for you though. So here is the link - [www.daveandbusters.com]

I like the idea of a movie. I host language students from around the world and they always love seeing a movie here.

Enjoy planning your trip!
November 23, 2011 11:29AM
Hiya Salsa! I know, good to see you too grinning smiley

Glad to hear the kids have chosen the MoMA then, and visiting the design store opposite is a must as they have lovely stuff there.
GCS has warm and cold food. May I personally recommend the steak and cheese sandwich, mentioned in another post? It was fab! They also did bagels with scrambled eggs etc and as there are several establishments to choose from, they will be able to handle your bunch.
There is a photography museum or photography heavy museum somewhere but I can't for the life of remember which one it is.

I wouldn't recommend letting your lot hang around in the hotel foyer though, the staff would get seriously miffed and wonder which numpty thought it would be a good idea and as group leader, you'd be singled out.

How about the skating rink in Central Park, one evening if it isn't too cold? I'm not sure what time it will be open till but it would be a brilliant experience for the group, something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Good choice for ToTR, much better than the ESB. The staff are so much friendlier and the lift is a novel way to go up. Again, dress for cold weather as it is so much colder up there than it is on the ground. The screen on my digital camera actually stopped working, it was that cold.

If it is a walking tour, have a back up in place in case the temperature does plummet. I can't emphasise enough how cold it can become there in February. You will need to be underground as much as possible between doing things to warm up a bit. I'm assuming you will be using the subway? If not, shame on you! It's cheap and another experience that will stand the pupils in good stead thumbs up

Are your evening meals sorted? If not, Carmine's is a brilliant place to take a group and they will let you choose your own menu when you book in advance. And the food is great. I took mine to The Garage, a jazz restaurant which has very good food, great music and is easy to reach via the subway.

It's all about creating memories for the kids. Have a good time, don't get too stressed and don't be too hard on them. Oh, might be a good idea to remind them not to buy knock offs as they may very well be confiscated UK side and you don't want that to be the thing they remember from their trip.

Tell the girls that are going that they have real designer gear at Century 21 for bargain prices. I got my Dior sunglasses for $40, bargain! Their handbags and clothes are also fab but they will need to root around. Give them at least 3 hours there. There's a Starbucks just past the Hilton so you could arrange to meet there (if you've had enough of shopping and just want to sit) or there's a Dunkin' Donuts in the street round the back of Century 21.

There was a really good hot dog stand just before the entrance to the Staten Island Ferry. Mine had hot dogs with everything on them. I have never seen anything so disgusting, but the kids enjoyed them smiling smiley

Have fun!

Was once van Mullem, am now just Cozz!
November 23, 2011 02:09PM
Cozz, you're brilliant! Miss you!
November 24, 2011 01:31PM
Thanks Coz and the previous posters.

By hotel - I meant it has a bar / social area so we could be ok just to hang out, but I take your point.

Thanks for the other stuff - and I am hammering the "it'll be FREEZING cold" message with the students...whether or not they pay full heed or not, we'll see!

Subway is the only way, ; - )

I knew of Century 21, but I might put a bit more emphasis on it now thanks to your tip.

Two other questions if I may...

I'm hoping to sneak a return journey on the Staten Island Ferry about 9am on a morning - ready to be at the 911 memorial for 10.30am. Does that sound do-able in terms of time?

And is the Roosevelt Island tramway worth a journey - not as an 'event' but more of a possible extra in the evening if we have time to fill. I've read differing views on the island on this forum - but would a there-and-back trip be good? It seems to offer some good views and it's a little bit 'different'.

Thanks in advance - I knew I had generally the right ideas for this trip, but this thread/forum is just allowing me to be that little bit better informed than I could have been otehrwise. So thanks for that.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 9