Hurricane Irene is coming to town

Posted by askanewyorker 
Hurricane Irene is coming to town
August 25, 2011 05:55PM
We've known for a long time that New York City is vulnerable to a hurricane, and as Irene bears down, the city is preparing for the worst, CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller reports.

From the Mayor Bloomberg's press conference: "New Yorkers are big hearted people and always come through when the chips are down"

[www.cbsnews.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 04:41AM by askanewyorker.
Re: Irene is coming to town
August 26, 2011 04:07PM
My sister-in-law is flying in tomorrow. I hope Irene is nice to her as it's her first vacation in years and she is excited to see NYC.
Re: Irene is coming to town
August 26, 2011 04:48PM
Hurricane Irene Update

We're preparing for a crazy weekend here in NYC and some evacuations have already begun. If you're in the area and need to know your evacuation zone, enter your address here: [gis.nyc.gov]

If you are being evacuated and need a place to stay, contact us at info@newyorkguest.com or call 212-302-4019 immediately and we will use our nationwide resources to help you find a hotel.

If you're weathering the storm in NYC this weekend, please note:
1. As of now, the MTA is planning to shut down all mass transit at noon on Saturday and it may not be working again until Monday morning.
2. All Broadway shows are likely to be canceled this weekend. So far performances of The Lion King and Mary Poppins have been canceled.
3. All sightseeing tours are canceled for this weekend - double decker buses will not be running
4. NYC Museums will be closed

We will be here at New York Guest and available to assist you until 8 PM tonight and from 8:30-11 AM tomorrow morning. After that we will need to shut down our servers for the weekend and regret that we will not be receiving e-mails until Monday morning.

Be safe and stay dry! We look forward to resuming normal business hours on Monday as conditions allow.

New York Guest | 330 7th Avenue | Suite 901 | New York | NY | 10001

Delete ReplyReply ForwardSpamMovePrint Actions NextPrevious
Oracle?
Re: Hurricane Irene is coming to town
August 26, 2011 06:34PM
Don't forget to check on the elderly! ;-)

Salsa, make sure your sister-in-law checks with her airline before she leaves. She could end up spending her vacation at the airport. When is she due to arrive, and where's she staying?

They've already announced that all transit will be shut down at noon tomorrow and likely will be out until Monday. Bridges too.
I am so proud that New Yorkers are so brave and organized. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm sure everything will go wellthumbs up
August 27, 2011 03:13PM
Another holdout, Igor Birger, 52, has lived in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn, for nine years and had no plans to flee.

"I don't think it's going to be that big a deal," he said. "I used to live in Russia, and nothing scares us. I have my house. I can't leave it."

Birgir said he is prepared for the worst Irene has to offer.

"I bought flashlights and water. I have cash in my pocket, I have plenty of vodka in my freezer, and a couple of cartons of cigarettes," he said. "We'll be fine . . . I have nowhere to go, no house or friends upstate.

"The news people like to scare everyone. What's the big deal?"

Read more: [www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 03:15PM by askanewyorker.
My response is contained in this new song:

Irene is Comin' to Town
[www.drblt.com]
August 29, 2011 07:03AM
Soho
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 10