Just one day

Posted by Angel S 
Just one day
April 18, 2011 05:04PM
Hello,
My husband I will be in New York for one day only. We really want to ride the Staten Ferry. Visit Central Park and Coney Island.(No rides)We are not at all used to Busy traffic.Should we drive ourselves? Park at hotel and use city transportation? Do you think we will have time to do these things?And where should we stay?It looks like The Ferry and Central park are close to one another.I just hate to show up and spend all day trying to figure this all out.Thanks for ANY help.
Oracle?
Re: Just one day
April 18, 2011 05:46PM
First thing you might want to do is get a good map, or sit down with google maps and plot out what you want to do. The Staten Island Ferry is more than five miles from the SE corner of Central Park, which in New York isn't very close, since you won't be driving. Coney Island is at the other end of Brooklyn, 15 miles away, or about an hour's subway ride. That's a lot of travel time for one day.

I would focus on one or two neighborhoods surrounding landmarks that are important to you.

As for hotel accommodations, what are you looking for, how many beds, what are your exact dates, and what's your budget?
April 18, 2011 06:56PM
See now? Here,you can spit 5 miles and hit your target.I did use google map.Are you suggesting then, that we should not drive.As for our hotel.We can go 150 but would rather stay at 100.I really want to ride the staten Island Ferry.I just do.So maybe that is the area for us to focus on.We really, just mostly, wanna gawk.No big plays or Fine dining for us.Got any ideas?
Oracle?
April 19, 2011 08:32AM
Hotel prices fluctuate weekly. Post your exact dates, and how many beds you need. You should know that even in low season, $150 is very low for New York.
April 19, 2011 10:49AM
Yes,you are right. I went through old questions on here and checked with price line. So,it looks like We need to set aside about 225 for a room.Thats ok New York will be the beginning of a 9 day vacation.We will be arriving the mourning of June 19(Sun) Leaving June 20th.One bed.I checked The Lucerne,Excelsior and Beacon because they were suggested often on here.I am beginning to think that New York may be unlike anywhere else;0)
Oracle?
April 19, 2011 06:06PM
Two people, one night, one bed? That should be very easy! I suggest you book something that's fully cancellable, and then give priceline bidding a try as your date gets nearer. Never bid without doing your homework though...bidding for a New York hotel is like navigating a mine field. The two best sites for you are betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com, they both offer advice on bidding strategies, and betterbidding.com even offers a map of recent hotel wins.

And of course, New York is unlike anywhere else. But you should be able to win a hotel for $150 for the one night.
April 20, 2011 12:19AM
O.K. I'm almost out of your hair. Should we drive? I just think it might be easier to take the subway.
Oracle?
April 20, 2011 11:48AM
Ha! Ha! Don't worry about getting out of my hair... ask anything you want!

Drive from where? If you're asking about renting a car here, the answer is absolutely not! If you are driving here, you'll pay crazy parking rates with no in-and-out service. Our public transit system is old, but it's the only way to travel in NYC.
April 20, 2011 10:32PM
Thank you. You have been a great help.
April 25, 2011 06:34PM
Definitely don't drive, you will spend most of your day sitting in traffic and it will cost a fortune in parking fees. Take the subway, it is efficient and cheap.
I would skip Coney Island if I were you, it will take up too much of your time.

Another alternative would be the hop-on-hop-off bus tour. You can see most of the major sites and there are stops near Central Park and also downtown near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 7