Tips for driving from New England to Boston

Posted by Mark Greig 
Hi New Yorkers,

My wife and I will be in the big apple in early June (without or kids) and would like some restaurant tips for a special occasion...we're happy to spend up for a unique Italian, Japanese or Thai fine dining experience.

We also plan to spend 5 days driving to Boston stopping along the way. Please provide any suggestions on the below draft itinerary. Where is the best place to hire a car in NYC which we can drop off in Martha's Vineyard?

Day 1 - Drive from NY to Sag Harbour (2 hr drive direct) - we plan to stop along the way, see as much of Long Island as possible. Stay overnight in a cute hotel/b&b - have dinner at nice restaurant.

Day 2 - Leave early by car ferry from Sag Harbour to Shelter Island to Orient point to New London, Connecticut. I have been told that this trip takes about 2 1/2 hours and we will drive our car onto the ferries. They are meant to be beautiful, scenic trips (estimate: leave at 9.15am arrive New London 12pm).

From New London we drive to Newport for the night (could go via Providence as well maybe?) - google maps says its 1.5 hrs to Newport via Providence.

Day 3 - From Newport to New Bedford it is a 30 minute drive. From New Bedford we can get on a fast ferry or car ferry (depending on whether we ditch the car) to Martha's Vineyard which takes one hour I think. We plan to spend the day and night at Martha's Vineyard.

Day 4 - MV to Nantucket - by air - $49/adult and it takes 20 minutes. (http://res.flycapeair.com/travel/air/merged_availability.rvlx). Ferries don't start running between the two island until the 11th - the day we leave Boston...aghhh! Full day and night in Nantucket.

Day 5 - Leave Nantucket early morning (first ferry at 7.45am, 1hour) back to Hyannis and drive from there up to Boston (about 1.5hrs). Apparently this drive is really pretty. We would then have the afternoon and evening in Boston, but that's it!! as we leave the next day.

Any itinerary suggestions or accommodation/restaurant tips would be really helpful.

Thank you!

Mark : )
Re: Tips for driving from New England to Boston
March 04, 2011 02:06PM
I have no idea about driving, but I can tell you about italian restaurants! My two favorites are I Sodi and Emilio's Ballato, you should be happy with either one.
Re: Tips for driving from New England to Boston
March 09, 2011 08:21PM
My favourite Italian restaurant is San Damiano.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 3