Looking for a great Diner in Manhattan

Posted by Rob 
Rob
Looking for a great Diner in Manhattan
February 14, 2011 09:46AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a great (and affordable) diner in Manhattan. I'm not expecting gourmet food, just a nice place for breakfast and a burger.

Preferably somewhere between 20th and 59th st.

Thank you,

Rob
Re: Looking for a great Diner in Manhattan
February 14, 2011 10:14AM
The Coffee Shop Union Sqaure would fit the bill. It's reasonable a tasty. Great burgers!

[www.thecoffeeshopnyc.com]
KT
February 14, 2011 10:58AM
Big Daddy's on Park Ave South between 19th and 20th is a good diner. Great home fries :-)
There are places that want to be perceived as diners and there are places that are naturally and unpretentiously diners.

The latter can be recognized by very large menus, a few traditional Greek dishes on those menus, never letting your coffee cup get less than half full, a huge selection of Danish, muffins and cakes displayed on and behind the counter and fast service by people who are professional waiters and waitresses.
Also – breakfast served 24 hours a day and burgers grilled to order.

I hope you find a good one.
February 14, 2011 06:21PM
If you find yourself on the UWS I like EJ's on Amsterdam and about 81st. I have only had breakfast and lunch there. Service was good as was the food. I can't say great because I always feel diners serve good food, never great.
Robert lulo
The latter can be recognized by very large menus, a few traditional Greek dishes on those menus, never letting your coffee cup get less than half full, a huge selection of Danish, muffins and cakes displayed on and behind the counter and fast service by people who are professional waiters and waitresses.
Also – breakfast served 24 hours a day and burgers grilled to order.

That's the kind I'm looking for! I don't want the decor, just a nice breakfast!

I used to like Chelsea Square (23rd St / 9th Ave)
Oracle?
February 15, 2011 05:24PM
Hey Salsa, I just had lunch at EJ's today. I had their blue plate lunch special ... blackened flounder sandwich on a roll with lettuce, tomato, fried onion, sprouts and fresh basil mayo. Served with cole slaw and yummy sweet potato fries. It was all delicious and only $10.

I love EJ's, their comfort food is definitely a step above the ubiquitous NYC coffee shop. And the prices are great. The only problem is how crowded they get on weekends.
Rob,

I've been to the Chelsea on 23rd St. It that's what you're looking for and you're on the Upper West Side try Citi Diner on Broadway & 90th St. Its one of my favorites.
Nice breakfast - great eggs & omelets, pan cakes, muffins,etc. Good coffee too.
My recommendation is Morning Star Cafe - 2nd Ave btwn 50th & 51st, it's great.
Maya
February 17, 2011 06:52PM
i saw the big daddy comment down below and yes it is a great dinner.. right by my school! the coffee cups are pretty funny too
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 25?
Online Users

Guests: 6