Visit in March West 39th st

Posted by lynda 
Visit in March West 39th st
February 01, 2011 04:20PM
My family and I are coming to New York in March, looking at staying on W 39th St between 8th and 9th - Want to know about neighborhood, safe?? Thank you
Don
Re: Visit in March West 39th st
February 01, 2011 04:48PM
That area is safe, in fact most of Manhattan is safe these days - changed a lot from the 80's! I'd still keep an eye out though - its definitely not the safest area in Manhattan (sth of 90th Street)...

That area is not the most glamourous either - you are in Hells Kitchen and right near the Port Authority bus station, so quite a few homeless people hanging around late at night - I guess the cold weather works to your advantage right now as they get off the streets...
Oracle?
February 01, 2011 06:28PM
It's safe but gritty, not the prettiest part of town. If your reservations is fully refundable, I would look elsewhere.
February 01, 2011 07:05PM
If we are looking for the new york "experience" want to be with -in walking distance to shoping, resturants and close to Time Square - what would you recommend?
Jimmy
February 01, 2011 08:10PM
Why would you want to be close to Times Square? Its the biggest tourist trap in Manhattan and so far from a real "New York Experience" its not funny.

Soho/Village/Tribeca is probably the nicest area for shopping & restaurants - so consider looking for a hotel around there. Great idea to get an unlimited subway pass while you're here too.
Oracle?
February 01, 2011 09:32PM
What are your exact dates and how many beds do you require?
February 02, 2011 12:21PM
March 21 - 26 need three beds (4 of us)
Oracle?
February 02, 2011 06:24PM
You're going to have to phone the hotels for three beds, many don't show up on the web sites, and when you enter four guests, they only show you two beds.

I would suggest phoning the Salisbury, a budget hotel in midtown, right near Central Park and 5th Ave. The furnishings are dated, but it's very clean and the rooms are a good size. I know they have a suite with two beds in a bedroom and a sofabed.

The Beacon is a terrific place, and I know they have three-bedded rooms. Again, you'll have to give them a call.

Also check the Affinia Group, a local chain. They have several midtown properties and affiliates. The Eastgate is frequently recommended and often has specials. The Affinia Manhattan is the only one of their properties that, while a wonderful hotel, is in the less desirable Penn Station area.
February 13, 2011 05:50AM
I stayed there last June at the Candlewood Suites. Totally okay, quite convenient to the subway, there are a number of new hotels along that section of 39th St and on 9th Ave, north of 39th there are quite a few nice little restaurants. There is also a nice one on 39th itself, as well as a very nice little bakery/sandwich shop. Admittedly the Port authority area isn't great but I didn't see any homeless people hanging around on 39th St. Would definitely stay there again.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 22?
Online Users

Guests: 7