Cosmetics and Clothes

Posted by Louise Brasenell 
Cosmetics and Clothes
January 20, 2011 08:03PM
This one for the ladies of New York smiling smiley

I am ending my year around the world by getting married in New York next month.

I am not planning on a white wedding dress but would like a cool outfit (that would suit a Feb wedding on the roof of the Rockefeller).

I was thinking a fab winter dress and knee high boots of some sort (maybe green or purples or something retro). I'd like an outfit that I look great in and can wear again back in the UK. I also need to buy some fab but cheap(ish) makeup. I like bright eye shadows but don't know of any American brands that may have what I am after. In the UK I like stuff like Barry M and Gosh.

Are there any good brands that would have people doing make-overs in the department stores that I could go to? I need the whole lot, foundation, blush, etc but obviously I am on a budget.

If anyone has any info on where to find a great outfit and make up please let me know.

No worries if no one can help. I'm sure I will find stuff, just thought I could limit the time my husband to be will want to kill me during a shopping spree smiling smiley

Thanks guys

Louise
Re: Cosmetics and Clothes
January 21, 2011 03:25PM
For makeup, I would recommend Sephora or Macy*s. You can set appts with both.
[www.sephora.com]

There are Sephora's all over. Where are you staying so we can better help in the dress dept. I popped in this place for vintage [www.allanandsuzi.net] while staying on the upper west side awhile back. NOthing to knock my socks off, but I was not looking for special occasion,but it was fun.
January 21, 2011 08:00PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I'm staying at Astor on the Park which is at Central Park West.

I will take a look at those links smiling smiley

thanks so much
x
January 27, 2011 03:11PM
I just remembered a friend had her bridesmaids all shop at J.Crew. They all got similar dresses in different colors. They were classic and gorgeous. There is one at 10 Columbus Circle. Of course a little black dress is always nice. Here is there huge selection of just "little black dresses" [www.jcrew.com]

I like how you can shop day, evening, etc.
January 31, 2011 07:53AM
Salsa is right, just go into macys or sephora and they'll do your makeup for you...the expectation is that you will buy a thing or two, though.
For dresses, I'd usually head up to Bloomingdales, where you are sure to find something, although J crew isn't bad. I was just looking for a dress for my sister's wedding and found one I liked (and bought) at kenneth cole, actually. I believe there is a kenneth cole very near to bloomingdales.
Yes, there is, on 57th St between Lexington and 3rd Ave. Bloomingdales is at Lexington and 59th. Good luck and congratulations.
(if you want to get cheaper make-up, you can always just go to drugstores like Duane Reade or Rite Aid, too)
February 13, 2011 05:56AM
Duane Reade are good for makeup and you will probably find brands that you are familiar with. Makeup and cosmetics are much cheaper in New York than in Australia, so I think they will be cheaper than NZ as well. I would go to Macys or Bloomingdales for a dress as they have a lot of different designers and also have good sales. They would also be good for boots or you could try DSW at Union Square. Good luck.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 5