Posted by Oracle? 
Oracle?
Who's going to Pickle Day?
October 16, 2010 03:28PM
It's tomorrow -- Sunday, Oct. 17

[www.nyfoodmuseum.org]
Re: Who's going to Pickle Day?
October 16, 2010 05:26PM
wow, I don't like pickles, but how interesting nonetheless!
I'm glad you posted it, I'm checking out that website now, which I haven't seen before.
Oracle?
October 17, 2010 03:52PM
Pickle Day was terrific. There were a few dozen vendors sampling and selling all kinds of pickled stuff. My favorite was the weirdest sounding concoction, a cold soft drink made of pickled beet juice and lemon juice from Russ & Daughters. I had to be talked into tasting it, but had to admit it was pretty good. There wasn't a long line waiting to try it though! There was a longer line for the whiskey-cured pickles, which weren't nearly as good as the beet juice drink.
October 18, 2010 01:44PM
Are Russ & Daughters local? Joe loves beets, and we both love pickles. Beets and lemon sound better than whisky'd pickles.
Oracle?
October 18, 2010 02:51PM
Are they local? I'll say! My father used to drive into the city from Queens and double-park outside the store to pick up his weekend goodies.

[www.russanddaughters.com]

I don't think the pickled beet/lemon juice is something they stock. I have a feeling they just made it up for Pickle Day. Regardless, it's always worth a trip to their store.
Oracle?
October 18, 2010 02:54PM
Want a good laugh? Click on the link to Russ & Daughters, then click on "About Us," then on "Meet the Family." Then scroll down and click on Paul Sanford's bio. It's not just the photo that's funny.

Here's a direct link:

[www.russanddaughters.com]
Oracle?
October 18, 2010 03:01PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. This is the first time I've spent time browsing Russ & Daughters' web site.

Salsa, here's a link to their blog. The entry for Oct. 14 shows the drink.

[blog.russanddaughters.com]
KT
October 19, 2010 01:24AM
My dad used to grow his own beetroot and pickle it at home..what a mess! Anyway, it was always delicious,and I love the stuff to this day. That info on the drink was great, loved the bit about adding a touch of vodka or gin!
October 19, 2010 03:28AM
The beetroot and lemon sounds delicious, I'll have to give it a try. I have pickled my own beetroot, too messy wouldn't bother now. Australians love beetroot, we even put it on our hamburgers.
October 20, 2010 09:02AM
Russ & Daughters does sell their Beet And Lemon Shrub in the store. Everything there is made by hand, so maybe sometimes they run out of it. But I buy it in bottles in the store all the time. They also make the best egg creams and fresh squeezed orange juice. Just ask when you get there.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 19?
Online Users

Guests: 6