Family Visit at New Year + 50th Birthday

Posted by Lolly 
Family Visit at New Year + 50th Birthday
August 06, 2010 08:09AM
Hello there
We a party of 9 (two families comprising 4 adults (45+), three 20 year olds, one 12 year old and one 10 year old). First visit to NYC. I'm worried that we won't be able to keep everybody happy at night as we'll be on a limited budget and can't afford anything posh. We're from the UK and so our 20 year olds are used to drinking and going to clubs etc. I understand the drinking age is 21. I have loads of questions but going to limit to only a couple:

As we're on a tight budget we were thinking of taking a meal and then watching fireworks. What's the best place to do this? Was thinking of China Town and then Brooklyn Bridge OR Central park?

Where do you recommend celebrating a 50th birthday at night? We were hoping to eat casually but be able to keep the younger ones happy but playing pool, bowling or maybe games. Anyone have any ideas?

Is Cafe Wha? appropriate for a 10 year old and is the food expensive?

Many thanks.
Oracle?
Re: Family Visit at New Year + 50th Birthday
August 06, 2010 09:55AM
For the last several years, we've celebrated new year's eve beginning with an early festive dinner at Carmine's on the upper west side. We then make our way over to Central Park to watch the fireworks. It's busy, but not nearly as insane as Times Square. Carmine's is a big, loud place, perfect for big groups. They serve family-style southern Italian food. Each platter feeds 4-6 hungry adults, so it's not expensive at all. You do need to reserve a table way, way in advance.

There's also a midnight road race in the park, preceded by a big party. I'm not a runner, but friends have gone and had a great time.

Bowl-mor is a popular bowling center, they also have pool tables:

[www.bowlmor.com]
August 07, 2010 01:07PM
Thanks for this Oracle,

We'll try for Central Park on New Year and I'll try and reserve a table somewhere. Carmine's is fully booked (no surprise there).

I was born in Elgin, Illinois but moved to the UK when I was 6 years old. My eldest son also has an American Passport but hasn't met an American yet. I'd absolutely love to give him the opportunity to spend some time with someone of his own age. We live in rural England and he wants to be a gardener, the other two 20 year olds both live together in a city (one wants to be a fine artist and his girlfriend is studying law and loves designer clothes). Where do 20 year olds go for entertainment in NYC?

We all want to "feel" NYC rather than hire a limo and do the usual quick stop tourist thing. My husband just wants to take a beer in a real bar with his mate.

Having been to London many times I know how important it is to plan a little. Nothing worse than trudging through the rain wandering aimlessly with sore feet not sure where to go!

Bye for now
Lolly
Oracle?
August 07, 2010 02:16PM
Carmine's is already booked for new year's eve? Were you trying to book it online or did you phone them?

The best way to keep nine people happy on holiday is to split up, so everyone gets to do what they want. Have everyone pick one or two "must-dos." Then plot everything on a map so you can explore by neighborhood. Don't spend too much time on a tour bus, it's a much better experience on foot.

And it will be more crowded than you can imagine over the holidays, so be prepared for that. If you want to go to a show or concert, it's best to buy tickets in advance.

Anyway, maybe I'll see you in the park for the fireworks!
August 07, 2010 03:24PM
Hi there Oracle

I tried online. For goodness sake, I didn't even think of calling - how's that for limited intelligence and total reliance on the web! Will get on the phone instead.

Thanks so much for the tips, will bear it all in mind when I get to the nitty gritty of my planning.

Maybe see you. If not, I'll certainly think of you when I'm watching the fireworks.

Thank you.
August 08, 2010 12:35AM
Did you try to book the Times Square location or the upper west side one?
August 08, 2010 07:26AM
I tried the upper west side one, the only table I can get is at 4.30pm which is just too early.

Does anybody have any other ideas of where we could eat a decent casual meal within walking distance of central park for the fireworks?
Oracle?
August 08, 2010 07:35AM
I'm really surprised they're booked, I might end up getting shut out too!

The thing I love about Carmine's (besides the food) is that they don't do a special new year's menu or charge extra. Every other place I can think of, if they're even open that night, will do a special dinner for usually a crazy price.

Perhaps Isabella's, Ocean Grill, Pappardella? They might be pricey though. Let me think about this and re-post.

Marea, what do you think?
August 08, 2010 10:49AM
Basso56,is a really good Italian restaurant, not too pricey and not too far from Central Park. Don't know if they will be open but you could give them a try. They are at 254 W56th St.

www.basso56.com
August 08, 2010 04:03PM
You are both so good. I'll spend tomorrow trying my might to get in somewhere that you've recommended. Thanks so much for all your help.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 5