Pick up Lunch in Central park?

Posted by OLDFLD 
Pick up Lunch in Central park?
June 21, 2010 07:14PM
Is there a place near Central Park that I could order a takeout lunch for 4, pick it up and take it to the Park? Sort of like a ready-to-go picnic basket. Also, any recommendations as to a good spot in the Park to dine? Thanks is advance.
Oracle?
Re: Pick up Lunch in Central park?
June 22, 2010 10:42AM
Central Park is enormous, and there are lots of places all around it where you can pick up picnic fare.

I really like the Belgian chain, Le Pain Quotidien. The have multiple locations near the park. You can take out one of their "tartines," or open sandwiches, and their pastries are wonderful too. They also make the absolute best baguettes -- you can grab a couple of those and a hunk of cheese and a bit of fruit, and that's all you need.

There's a large Whole Foods market in the lower level of the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. They have an endless selection of take-out foods.

If you go up Broadway, you'll find Fairway Market and Citarella on the same block, between 74th-75th. Zabar's is at 80th and Broadway.

On the east side, Dean & Deluca has a store at Madison and 85th. A few blocks east of the park, Grace's Market has a wonderful selection of prepared foods.

Most of these places will provide plastic cutlery and paper napkins.

My favorite picnic spot is on the east side, just south of 79th St. It's called Cedar Hill, and is beautiful, peaceful, and has a few nice shade trees. Another nice spot is the Pinetum, at the NW end of the Great Lawn. It's shaded and there are a few picnic tables.
The Boathouse Restaurant is the premier and best restaurant in Central Park. It is around 74th St,, closer to Fifth Ave.

One part of it is fancy restaurant with a great view of the Lake. The restaurant can reserve a gondola and an Italian-trained gondolier for you and your beloved. It is about $40 per half hour. I like the crab cakes at the restaurant.

One part is a great bar (from "When Harry Met Sally" fame).

And there is a high-quality affordable snack bar, with vegetarian, pescetarian, salads, snacks, burgers, and fries that your cardiologist will feel good about inside. You can get your own rowboat for $10 an hour!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 8