theatre tickets

Posted by matt coles 
theatre tickets
February 09, 2010 06:56AM
Hi,

I'm suprising my wife with a trip to new york in April. Its slightly annoying that loads of cool things like basketball and anything else decent in madison sq gardens is not on. anyhow, what i did want to do is buy advance tickets to some shows in broadway. Being in the UK the most universal site is ticketmaster.com. the prices for delivery of the tickets are scandelous because i can't pick them up from the box office and delivery is $40 for some shows.

However, NY might just be really expensive for theatre tickets. I don't mind the cost provided its standard and not hiked up by a broker so what i'd like to know is $105 for west side story or wicked the standard price ofr a ticket in the balcony. Friends of mine have been and say you get get tickets easily by simply asking in broadway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also there is a show on at the mo which will finish before i get there. its called under the bridge with scarlet johanssen. Do u know or can u find out if there are any things on in NY often when massive stars like her have lead roles in theatre.

A lot to ask i know but this website is so unique. I think even when i come back i'll use it to plan my next trip!!
Oracle?
Re: theatre tickets
February 09, 2010 08:36AM
Here's how our ticketing works. Each show uses an exclusive ticket agent, usually that's telecharge or ticketmaster. The best source of ticket info is playbill.com. There's a link on the left side of their home page for Listings/Tickets. Follow the links to see which ticket service handles the show you want. (Hopefully not ticketmaster, which is the least user-friendly service!)

Many long-running shows offer discount codes. Playbill offers some (requires free registration on their site), as does broadwaybox.com. (If you use broadwaybox, be sure to ONLY use their discounts -- on the left side of the page -- as the site also offers premium seats.) Note that you would not be purchasing tickets through playbill or broadwaybox; you are given a code and then directed back to the official ticket agent.

"A View from the Bridge" is closing April 4. Perhaps you'll get lucky and they'll extend the run, but no word on that yet. It's gotten rave reviews.

There should be discounts for "West Side Story," which has NOT gotten good reviews.

I would recommend "South Pacific," "Jersey Boys," "Hair," "In the Heights."

When you buy tickets on the internet, order them to be held at Will Call. Then you just bring the same credit card with you and pick up the tickets on the way into the show. Arrive a few minutes early in case there's a line. I don't understand when you say that ticketmaster won't let you do this; they do it all the time.
February 10, 2010 03:49PM
Hi Matt:
Oracle gave some great advice about broadwaybox.com and playbill. Have you tried electronic tickets at Ticketmaster or Telecharge? You pay the fees (not broker fees, just standard ticketing fees), but you can print the tickets and bring them with you.

When you say, "get tickets easily by simply asking in broadway," I believe you are either referring to TKTS (half price on day of show) or Rush policies. You can read more about Broadway Ticketing.

As for April, Fences, Starring Denzel Washington premieres and Million Dollar Quartet is supposed to be great (premieres March 13th). The Knicks are playing some games (Sunday, April 11th against the Miami Heat and there are half price tickets).

Hope that helps! Have a great trip.
February 13, 2010 04:24AM
Hi,

thanks for your great advice. i will have a look at ticket master again since you've mentioned that. you have given me more than i was expecting so very much appreciated!!
February 17, 2010 03:32AM
Hey,

Hope I'm not too late to send a reply. Just wanted to let you know that I saw "A View from the Bridge" and I really enjoyed it! The show is really popular (especially because Scarlet Johanssen plays in it...) so the prices are much more expensive than usual.. But sometimes it's worth it smiling smiley

I booked my tickets through www.BroadwayBox.com They have this cool feature on their website that lets you pick your tickets from the actual seating chart of the theater. I was even able to compare all the ticket options available in each of the 6 days I was in the city for

I think this show ends on the first week of April so I'm not sure it's good for your dates.. But let me know what other types of shows are you interested in?
I'd be happy to recommend others that I've seen.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 7