taxi from newark to manhattan

Posted by Dave Mather 
taxi from newark to manhattan
January 11, 2010 08:08AM
Hi

Travelling to New York for the 1st time in February , what is the best and quickest way to get from newark airport to manhattan ? we are only over for 4 nights so dont want to be hanging around at the airport

Thanks
Re: taxi from newark to manhattan
January 11, 2010 03:16PM
Take the Airtrain monorail to Newark Airport's New Jersey Transit Rail Station. Tickets are 15 dollars each, which is a bit pricey but compared to a taxi which could easily run you into the hundreds, it's a bargain, not to mention the traffic and other problems which plague all vehicles attempting to enter the city. The monorail even provides a decent scenic vista of the city, and believe me, you don't want to step foot outside of this airport, it's depressing and everything wrong about New Jersey is just waiting to put a damper on your trip in the parking lot.

So take the train. The ride is less than thirty minutes to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan on 34th Street between 8th and 7th Avenues, not far from the Times Square Theatre District and other attractions. Subway access is available at Penn Station to the A,C,E, and 1,2,3 lines which cover the majority of Manhattan's west side, parts of Brooklyn, and the Bronx, and of course they provide easy transfer to other subway lines in the city.

If you can provide any details on what hotel you're staying at, I'll be happy to provide further directions.
Hi

Thanks for that

Staying at the New Yorker on 8th avenue .

Dave
January 12, 2010 06:33AM
You can walk from Penn Station to the New Yorker, it's very close.
January 12, 2010 06:47AM
Wow, basically the train is your best option here, you can actually see the top of the New Yorker Hotel (it has a giant neon sign which overlooks the railyards) from your train window if you look up.

Best of all, it's a short walk from Penn Station's 8th Avenue Entrance to the New Yorker Hotel's entrance between 35th and 34th Streets on of course, 8th Avenue. No taxi or subway ride required, you'll have to cross the street only two times. It will take less than 15 minutes to depart your train and arrive at the hotel.

Penn Station however can be a tricky mess of a place, it is my opinion, the most ugly squalid place in the entire city, so my apologies for making you take this route and in essence, being your first place in the city, although it is a cheap and quick alternative to the costly taxi. When in the station just look for signs directing you to the 8th Avenue exit, they're located in the big concourse with the large timetable board. There's hundreds of travelers here during the day waiting for their trains, just avoid them and get outside of the station as best you can. If confused, just ask any nearby police officer for assistance as there's always one on duty at all times. Once outside, make your way North, the New Yorker will be on the left side of the street on 8th Avenue so cross the street when feasible. Enjoy the Beaux Arts Farley Post Office building across the street with it's columns and Greco-Roman design. It makes for a more pleasant, grander sight when entering the city.

The only excuse I'd give for you to take a taxi is if you're plane is arriving late at night (around 12am or 1am) when New Jersey Transit trains are not running. However, all trains begin service again at 5am so you'll be fine if you arrive earlier.

Hopefully I've been of help and have prompted you to take rail travel. Whatever the case, enjoy your trip to New York and have a safe and enjoyable time in America's finest city.
Thanks for your help , as 1st time visitors that has been more than helpful , we arrive lunch time .

Thanks

Dave
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 6