First Visit to New York

Posted by KEITH JENNINGS 
First Visit to New York
September 10, 2009 09:34AM
Hello everyone

First time on this web site

My wife and I are from sheffield England - looking for advice on where to stay what to see where to eat, best way to get around etc Visiting for a week in November for our 30thwedding anniversary - just 2 of us Would like to see as much as possible so we expect to be on the go
Good hotel recommendations would be very appreciated - plenty of advice from friends -- but you guys will know the best answers.

Best Keith & Trisha
Oracle?
Re: First Visit to New York
September 10, 2009 10:24AM
Ahhh, Sheffield. I hope to be visiting there soon!

It's easy to get around NYC, so the most important thing is access to public transit. Basically, you can choose a commercial area or residential. My preference is a residential neighborhood -- local shops and restaurants vs. tourist traps and chain restaurants.

My first choice would be the beautiful upper west side. The neighborhood of "You've Got Mail" -- nice shops, restaurants, pleasant to stroll at all hours. The Beacon Hotel is newly renovated, has large rooms for NYC, and is right by the 72nd St. subway for 1-2-3 service. (One stop away from Times Square!) Other hotels in the area are On the Ave, the Lucerne, Excelsior, Belleclaire, Milburn. Don't book anything before reading reviews on tripadvisor.com. You can also see candid traveler's photos, which will give you a better idea what the place looks like than the photos on the hotels' own web sites will.

You should know that our Thanksgiving holiday is Nov. 26 and the city will be crazy crowded that whole week. If you can be flexible with your dates, you will likely find rates to be less expensive the weeks before or after.
September 10, 2009 02:32PM
I concur with Oracle. All 3 of my trips to NYC I have not stayed anywhere near the tourists and it added so much to our trips. The UWS has great restaurants, it's the side of Central Park where the John Lennon tribute is, and Riverside Park, so much to see as you walk the neighborhood. Really, don't stay near Times Square, you can get there easy enough on the subway or bus. Enjoy planning your trip.

Really Oracle, England!! I am very green dear.tongue sticking out smiley
September 10, 2009 03:16PM
I triply concur with the Upper West Side, used to work there (and live somewhat) around 69th Street and Central Park West, right next to Sheep's Meadow and Tavern on the Green. If you can get away from the Lincoln Center, you'll be pleased with all the old architecture, landmarks, and typical bustle of the city that manages to fit into these small little streets. However, it can almost feel quite too quiet at night (downright eerie on some older blocks where I've felt ghostly presences) but there are plenty of little local places and bars (Vince and Eddies on West 68th is my favorite) that keep the place charming and not too overwhelmed by chain stores. Other fine institutions include H&H Bagels, Dublin House Bar on West 79th and a small outpost of Magnolia Bakery survives quite well here. I personally miss all the sushi places, albeit pricey but delicious. Not to mention the Museum of Natural History, the anchor tenant of this neighborhood for decades.

Of course, that is only one little section of a fairly large swath of neighborhood that touches the border of Columbia University. Nonetheless, the West Side has my heart. Skip Times Square and explore the older neighborhoods first.
September 22, 2009 11:52AM
Hi keith , I'm from the uk manchester, and me and husband will be on our 6th visit in dec, we've always stayed near to times sq booked early got great deals, i agree with the other comments, but is this your first visit? if so i would have thought you would want to do the sights?
September 22, 2009 05:58PM
The point is you don't have to stay in Times Square to "see all the sights". It is not the real NY, and there are so many real sights to see. I am aiming for my 4th trip and have yet to do the majority of "the sights", and have managed to have fabulous trips every time.

Here is a blow by blow on our last trip while staying on the UWS.

[www.askanewyorker.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 18?
Online Users

Guests: 6