Upcoming visit to New york

Posted by Kurtis Donnelly 
Hi! I am getting ready to take a 8 day trip to the city. This will be my 4th trip, but my wife's first. I just have a couple of questions that I home somebody might be able to help me with.

1) I am wanting to take her to either Rockefeller Center Top of the Rock Observation Deck or the Empire State Building. Which one is the better choice.

2)We really want to experience some fun and not too expensive nightlife. We enjoy fun bars and comedy. Any recommendations?

3)Any good (again not to expensive) restaurants to recommend?

Thanks so much for your help. If you have any other general tips you could share I would be very appreciative.
Oracle?
Re: Upcoming visit to New york
August 06, 2009 01:41PM
1. The ESB is so iconic, it's hard NOT to want to go up. However, it's not the most pleasant experience to get up to the observation deck. You're herded through a series of lines by unsmiling people who try to sell you on "upgrades" like the ho-hum Skyride. On the other hand, there's hardly ever a wait for the Top of The Rock, the people are smiling and cheerful, even the elevator ride is entertaining, PLUS you have a great view of the Empire State Bldg. (Before you buy your tickets, look around Rock Plaza for people handing out discount coupons.)

2. I'm not a fan of comedy clubs, but I'll recommend Don't Tell Mama for a fun evening.
[www.donttellmamanyc.com]

3. There are something like 20,000 restaurants in NYC. What kinds of food/ambience are you looking for?
August 07, 2009 08:50PM
So many restaurants...so little time...I've been known to "graze" for an evening...can't decide if you want Italian, Chinese or Thai, or try that Garlic Restaurant? Try them all...one appetizer at a time, or split an entre, then on to the next.

I'd like to do that in the Village. Start at one end of Bleeker and nosh my way to the other end..that's why I love the Food tours. For a casual dinng treat, Try Rare on Bleeker near Carmine. Great basket of tiny gourmet hamburgers and a good Cab...oh yeah

After my sister & I took in a Broadway play we wanted something decidedly "Way off Broadway". We got a copy of the Village Voice and sat in a coffeehouse and read the offerings aloud to each other. Some we so oddball as to be hilarious. We ended up in a basement dive bar/theatre for an x-rated sock puppet show (X for language..they were sock puppets, after all) Very funny and about as far from Broadway as possible.
August 09, 2009 11:55PM
-i would definitely recommend the Top of the Rock. The overall experience is a lot more pleasant than going to the Empire State Building. Plus, you get a great view of Central Park and like said before, the Empire State Building.

-there are tons of people selling CHEAP tickets on the streets to tourist for comedy shows, especially around Times Square--->DONT DO IT!!! They seem cheap until you are stuck having to pay for a min of two overpriced drinks which are made with bottom of the shelf liquor. i just had some guests in town who went to a show at the Comedy Cellar and said it was amazing. They have legit comedians and even though, they too have a drink minimum, they said it is highly recommended. Just note that you do need to make reservations and need to be there at least 30 mins before the show starts to get good seats. Also, in the same neighborhood, you will find a bar called Fat Cats. Live jazz music, cheap beer, ping pong, pool, shuffle board, and even chess and scrabble. Its a good time...i would recommend going Sun-Thursday. The weekends get a little packed! if you would like any other bar recommendations, just ask!

[www.comedycellar.com]
[www.fatcatmusic.org]

-restaurants: good yet cheap- There are tons...but here are some of my faves.

1. Joes Ginger- Chinese: So there is this really amazing Chinese restaurant in Chinatown named, Joes Shanghai. It is known for their soup dumplings and is a HUGE tourist trap. But what most tourists dont know...is that while they are all waiting 30 mins plus for a table, right down the same street is another Chinese restaurant named Joes Ginger. They are basically the same restaurant, same menu and everything. They too have soup dumplings!! Must try. Super cheap and muchos delicious. [www.joeginger.com]

2. Shake Shack- American: Shake Shack is located in Madison Square Park. (23rd and 5th) and produces one of the best hamburgers ive ever eaten. the name of it is the "Double Stack." it consists of one meat patty in addition to a beer battered deep fried portabella mushroom stuffed with cheese!! Under $9 and well worth the wait of the line. plus its in the park, under the trees, with a great view of the Flat Iron Building.[www.shakeshacknyc.com]

3. Westville/Westville East: Two locations: Cheap american food of great quality.
[www.westvillenyc.com]

4. Nolita House is also moderate in price and has really good food. also has a blue grass brunch which is fun. [www.nolitahouse.com]

good luck with your trip!
I'd favour the Top Of The Rock over the ESB any day of the week...but we normally end up doing both!

If you get a chance, do the Top Of The Rock early on a Sunday morning...it's less crowded, and you can get much better photos!

The lift ride is quite awesome too..!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 3