Philadelphia or Washington?

Posted by Vanessa 
Vanessa
Philadelphia or Washington?
August 01, 2009 11:05AM
Hello! I'm organizing a day trip outside NY and would like your suggestions....Philadelphia or Washington?

Thanks!
Re: Philadelphia or Washington?
August 01, 2009 01:09PM
Well, I recommend Philadelphia. It may not be as glorious or ornate as Washington's lavish streets, monuments, and endless museums but Philly has enough to warrant any traveler's time. Plus, you can get there easily by train via NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor line and then transfer to Septa's Philadelphia bound trains at Trenton. Fairly easy and economical.

Of course, Philadelphia has it's fair share of museums. For example, the art museum which Rocky made famous still holds some great works and offers amazing views on it's steps. Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, along with the old cobblestone streets of Old City provide a lovely stroll coupled with quaint shops and eateries. 30th Street Station gives Grand Central Terminal a run for it's money with some of the most beautiful art deco architecture this side of the Delaware. And for the younger crowd, there is always South Street which has endless places to browse for unique trinkets and goods. And then there's South Philly which as you may know, houses Pat's and Geno's cheesesteaks. No trip can be complete without stops there.

I hated Philadelphia for awhile myself, being a New Jersey resident, all one heard was the endless crime and poverty of this city. However, you'll see that Philly is actually quite an enjoyable place and provides probably the best day trip (without the hours worth of traveling) within reach of New York.
I was born in Washington DC but raised in both Washington DC and New York City.

So my answer to this question would have to be WASHINGTON DC.

All of the museums are FREE.

Only 2 hours and 30 minutes from New York City by Amtrak train.

Some of the attractions may require booking in advance though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 07:20PM by askanewyorker.
August 02, 2009 08:18AM
Amtrak's Acela Express makes the trip from NYC to DC in 3 hours not 2.5 hours. And the fare is $200 one-way.

If you go by bus, plan on 3.5 hours if there are no problems on the highways.

In short, Washington, DC requires at least 7 hours roundtrip spent on the road traveling.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 08:19AM by ieee488.
Oracle?
August 02, 2009 08:38AM
Depending on what time of year you're coming, there are lots of lovely day trips that don't involve going to another big city. Long Island has beautiful beaches, and even many popular wineries along the North Fork. In the fall, a nice day trip is to take the train up along the Hudson River to see the foliage and go antiqueing.

However, if you want to see another city, you will need a couple of days for Washington, but Philadelphia is a good day trip from NYC.
Vanessa
August 02, 2009 09:38AM
Thanks everybody for your answers!

Oracle, I'm coming in a week, it's my second time in New York and would like to visit something more outside the city. Long Island seems a good option, is it far from midtown?
Oracle?
August 02, 2009 10:15AM
Long Island is enormous. There are four counties of L.I. -- Brooklyn and Queens are two boroughs (counties) of New York City at the western end of Long Island, then there are Nassau and Suffolk Counties. It's a 3+ hour drive to the eastern end of the island.

Here's the Long Island Rail Road page on day trips:

[www.lirr.org]

If you're interested in a beach day, Long Beach is quick and easy, and the beach is very nice.

So many New Yorkers leave the city every weekend for the Long Island beaches, that the traffic is horrible on Fridays and Sundays. If you can go during the week, it will be a little easier.
Amtrak's Acela Express makes the trip from NYC to DC in 3 hours not 2.5 hours. And the fare is $200 one-way.

If you go by bus, plan on 3.5 hours if there are no problems on the highways.

In short, Washington, DC requires at least 7 hours roundtrip spent on the road traveling.

Looks to me like you are a Google searcher.

I have traveled between Washington DC and New York City hundreds of times on Amtrak.

I have been on both the Acela and the regular trains.

I assure you the Acela travel time of 2h 47m is the slowest/worst case scenario.

In most cases the trains will arrive before their designated arrival times.

There have been plenty of trips where I have left DC at 8:00 AM and by 10:40 AM I am already on 33rd Street walking towards 5th Avenue headed to the NBA Store, Niketown, Yankees Clubhouse etc...

I have never paid $200 for a one-way ticket.

In fact if you book in advance (14 days) you can travel one way on the Acela for just $99.00

A day trip to Washington DC from New York City is possible.

I do it all the time.

August 03, 2009 04:35PM
KnicksbasketballNY what's your story?
Whats my story you ask?

Unlike all the wanna-be Carrie Bradshaws and bearded, skinny jean hipsters from the midwest who raise local rents, displace natives and move to New York because it is trendy...

^ Unlike them I have no desire to move to New York.

Unlike all the hipsters and wanna-be Carrie Bradshaws whose New York City playdates and extended New York City vacations are parentally funded, my parents do not support me.

Sometimes I get mistaken for being from New York but I am actually very proud of where I am from.

Washington DC is my home.

Even if one day my entire family were to choose to move back to New York, I would still stay here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 07:19PM by askanewyorker.
August 03, 2009 05:38PM
KnicksBasketballNY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks to me like you are a Google searcher.
>

Hardly. I used to live in Baltimore. I have traveled by Amtrak and
by bus.

As one of the oldtimers said to me many years ago:
don't go around assuming - [[b]assume: make an ass out of you and me[/b]] - anything.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Fair enough.

Next week I will time my Acela trip and pay close attention to every detail.

If my estimated arrival time is off by even 1 minute or a few seconds I will swallow my pride and admit to it

What do you consider a fair starting and ending point?

As soon as the train starts moving out of Union Station and until it comes to a complete stop at Penn Staion?

You set the terms.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 8