Walking from Grand Central to MSG

Posted by Angie C. 
I will be taking a train into Grand Central and need to get to Madison Square Garden. I know I can take a train into Penn Station (which is under MSG) but it is more expensive. Anyway, can I walk to MSG or is it too far and will I need to take a taxi??
Re: Walking from Grand Central to MSG
June 05, 2009 11:14AM
It is walkable or you can take the subway.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Oracle?
June 05, 2009 11:32AM
A taxi would probably eat up whatever money you're saving by going to GCT in the first place. Take the subway -- Shuttle to Times Square, then transfer for the downtown 1, 2 or 3 to Penn Station.

Of course you can also walk.
I suggest you take the subway as well. It will cost you $2/person to get from Grand Central to Penn Station. Oracle described the right directions. You will not have to pay to transfer.

Walking is about 15 blocks. Take the 42nd Street exit, walk to 7 Ave, and head downtown to MSG. Take you about 25 minutes or so.
Oracle - I have NEVER taken a subway before. When I leave Grand Central, where do I go to get the subway??? What do you mean by "Shuttle to Time Square"? and
"transfer for the downtown 1, 2 or 3 for Penn Station"? Is "1, 2 or 3" the bus numbers?? So once I get to Times Square I get on a bus to Penn Station??? I appreciate the help for everyone. I think it will take the whole city to get me to MSG!!!
Oracle?
June 05, 2009 04:54PM
Relax. When you arrive at GCT, just ask whoever is next to you, "where do I get the shuttle?" It's right inside Grand Central. The shuttle is a subway line (indicated by an "S") that only goes between GC and Times Square. You can't get lost, it's just one stop. There are three shuttle trains on three tracks, and all they do is go back and forth between those two stations. When you get off the shuttle at Times Square, bear toward the right. You'll see red signs for the #1, #2, #3 subway lines. Above the stairs you'll see the sign, and it will tell you which direction -- Uptown or Downtown. You want to take the Downtown direction. If there's a train in the station when you go downstairs, grab it! It will be either the #1, #2 or #3 -- No other train stops at that platform. You're only going one stop, to 34th St./Penn Station.

It's the easiest trip! Take a deep breath. Oh, and buy your metrocards at the vending machine. They're very user friendly, they take cash, credit or debit cards.

O.k. now? Good. Stop using so many !!!! and ????? -- you're making me nervous!
;-)
Oracle - I"M making YOU nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I am going to take your advice and just take a taxi from Grand Central to MSG. Everything else in between is just too nerve racking for me. I am going to MSG to see Fleetwood Mac. As long as I don't end up on the 11:00 p.m. news, crying from being lost, I will be fine. Thanks again! (oh - sorry - I used "!!!!" and "???" again.

I will let you know how I made out!!!

P.S. - I'm still scared!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie
Over 10 years later and we're still wondering how you made out!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 23