Not the Usual NYC Wedding Hunt

Posted by TPB 
TPB
Not the Usual NYC Wedding Hunt
May 07, 2009 02:33AM
So many couples do Central Park. Anyone have tips on smaller parks, like getting married in Washington Square under the Arch or maybe even something ridiculous like cute and cozy Bowling Green? What about Prospect Park or the Botanical Gardens? Anyone know anything about getting married say, on the boardwalk at Coney Island? I'm looking for tips on procedure, prices, and simple yes/no as to 'can it really be done' (ie. particularly Bowling Green). Could you get married, hypothetically, in Abingdon Square on 8th and 12th in the West Village? What about in the traffic island outside of the Flatiron? On a street corner? All advice welcome.
Oracle?
Re: Not the Usual NYC Wedding Hunt
May 07, 2009 08:57PM
What a fun idea! I don't know the answer, but I suspect it's a different answer depending on the location. For example, you'd need a permit for the Botanical Garden. It also would depend on how many people would attend. Central Park only requires that you get a permit for parties of 20 and more, or for certain locations (notably the Conservatory Garden). I believe Prospect Park requires that you get a permit for any ceremony. You should contact them directly.

www.centralparknyc.org
www.prospectpark.org

I have a feeling the traffic dept. would frown on any group blocking a traffic island or street corner, but I'd bet the boardwalk at Coney Island would be o.k., as would Bowling Green (though I don't think of it as being cute and cozy!).
If you're hiring an officiant, that person should be able to tell you the laws regarding where you can have your ceremony. I've been to a wedding conducted by Reverend Leslie, and would recommend him. www.revles.com.

Here's the NY Parks & Recreation web site:
[www.nycgovparks.org]

They list a phone number for inquiries: 1-212-NEW-YORK.

Good luck, and let us know where you end up having your ceremony!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 3