Club 21 and Manhattan Bars

Posted by **Rachel** 
Club 21 and Manhattan Bars
April 16, 2009 05:15PM
I have booked Club 21 for my 30th Birthday celebrations - Was this a good idea? Can anyone let me know what they think?

Where and what are the best bars in Manhattan? There are so many reviews and soooooo many bars, but we would really like to know the best ones. A handful of cocktail bars and casual happy hour bars......

Many Thanks!! See you on Saturday New York xx
Re: Club 21 and Manhattan Bars
February 05, 2011 07:39AM
I went to the 21 club for dinner last night, my first visit there.
I went with the "upstairs at 21" menu...$73 prix fixe with lots of options, rather than the $35 prix fixe offered for restaurant week which didn't have what I really wanted to eat.
Summary: For the price we paid for dinner, I would rather go to the Four Seasons any day. I would not return to the 21 Club, nor would I recommend it.
The room we sat in, upstairs, was not that special. Murals of NYC scenes on the walls (one with ice skaters in rockefeller center with big trees in the background full of lush green leaves...doesn't make sense). It was a pretty small room and I could hear everyone else's conversations, which I find annoying. The service was decent, although I found the waiter annoying and ingenuine, he kept calling all the men "young man" and treated all like tourists (which they probably were). He was the only waiter in the room. Food was very average. I had the fois gras for an appetizer (one of the reasons I did not go with the restaurant week special was because I wanted this appetizer and it wasn't on the restaurant week menu), and normally I LOVE fois gras, but this was probably the least-tasty fois gras I ever had. It was too thick and it just didn't melt in your mouth like fois gras normally does. And it was served over some sort of bread that was really hard and difficult to even cut through. Husband got the lobster cobb salad to start and he was happy with it, thought it was the best part of his meal. It was not over-dressed and not soggy, plenty of lobster in it - they didn't skimp on the lobster. He liked it.
Entrees--Husband ordered the mixed grill, which the waiter went on and on about as being the best thing on the menu, on and on about the sausage and how it was raised in NJ and the pig was massaged and cared for just so the sausage would taste like the best sausage you ever had in your life. Well, I tasted it and I would take a johnsonville bratwurst any day over that sausage. It also came with elk chop (which husband describes as "chewy")and some other pork something or other and brussels sprouts. Husband says his entree overall was fine, but he was not blown away. Expected more after what the waiter said about it. Sausage was "gushy". I had the braised beef shortribs which the menu said came with squash and cheddar ravioli. It came with exactly two raviolis, which were not that tasty at all, and the beef itself was quite dry...unusual for braised beef short ribs. For dessert, we ordered apple tart, which was not good at all and we left most of it untouched, and a very tasty peanut-chocolate cake. that was very good, actually, the best part of the whole meal.
When you make your reservation online, it said you would get a free glass of wine for each person. The bill came, and my wine was not free. I just left it alone, didn't mention it because it's sort of an akward thing to have to bring up...they should just take care of that as they advertised.
All in all, I expected a lot better than we got and the next time I go out and spend well over $200 for a meal, I'm going back to my old standby the Four Seasons, which I think just can't be beat.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 19?
Online Users

Guests: 3