Upper West vs Upper East. Which is your favorite neighborhood and why?

Posted by Brandon 
To all New Yorkers. Between the Upper West Side and the Upper East Side, which is your favorite neighborhood and why?
Also in terms of beauty and uniqueness, which would it be?
Re: Upper West vs Upper East. Which is your favorite neighborhood and why?
April 10, 2009 12:02AM
Personally for me, both sides are devoid of any substanstial culture and in essence, are just very upscale extensions to tourist-oriented Midtown. They are just more residential in nature. Of course, you'll find a handful of quaint shops, restaurants, churches, synagogues, and the like. And you'll find Starbucks and other chain stores.

Both sides are home to some of the world's most famous museums and house some of the most architectually amazing buildings ever constructed. (The art deco apartments seen in ghost busters are some of my favorites and the lovely Dakota) Not to mention you have great views of Central Park on either end.

If I were to break it down, I'd have to go with the West Side, which has always been the more liberal and outgoing, or so history has given it these labels. The East Side has always been considered conservative, old money. The differences are more subtle now, if they are there at all. It still has it's charms in a few pockets and if you head just a little further North, there's always Harlem and Washington Heights for a more authentic West Side experience.
My Vote for the east side (Maybe if I where married with kids I would choose the West Side).

The East side for me is more of a hip area and has more culture (as history has shown with the immigration movement), lots of restaurants, everyone knows everyone (especially if you have a dog).

It is more of a youthful "new Village". However, you do have those upscale pockets (Park Avenue and Madison avenue) with has the wealthiest people and property in the world as well as the expensive restaurants where there are no prices on the menu $$$$$$$.

The churches are welcoming on the East Side - however, some churches I feel a little out of place because it draws people with money.

On the east side you are not far from the cultured East Harlem.

So My vote is for the East Side.
Re: Upper West vs Upper East. Which is your favorite neighborhood and why?
April 14, 2009 08:29AM
[www.nypost.com]

MADONNA MANOR
PAYS $40M FOR UPPER E. SIDE HOME

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 08:30AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 9