Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer

Posted by askanewyorker 
Dear MTA,

Your only hope it to plead not guilty and beat this ticket at trial. You have nothing to lose by fighting this ticket as it is 2-points if you plead guilty and 2 points if you fight it an lose. The fight should be the same too.

HEre is an article which may help you entitled Fighting A Traffic Ticket At The Traffic Violations Bureau.

Of course, if you want a free consultation, feel free to call us.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

askanewyorker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Triborough Bridge ticket, any info please
> Posted by: MTA
> (pool-173-63-115-37.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
> Date: October 27, 2010 04:27PM
>
>
> Hi
> i drive delivery truck and today only i ended up
> in the EZ Pass lane by mistake
> i had the cash with me but this "cop" insisted on
> taking the toll money and my papers and ended up
> charging me the 11.00$ and a ticket of 2 points.
>
> i cannot tell my employer what happened cause
> simply i will get fired, so i have to pay it
>
> im new in this area so please if any one have tip
> on how i can reduce the amount or even cancel this
> ticket please share the info with me.
> i cannot afford to spare 120$ and 2 points on my
> licence
Dear MTA,

Your only hope it to plead not guilty and beat this ticket at trial. You have nothing to lose by fighting this ticket as it is 2-points if you plead guilty and 2 points if you fight it an lose. The fight should be the same too.

Here is an article which may help you entitled Fighting A Traffic Ticket At The Traffic Violations Bureau.

Of course, if you want a free consultation, feel free to call us.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

askanewyorker Wrote:
> Triborough Bridge ticket, any info please
> Posted by: MTA
> (pool-173-63-115-37.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
> Date: October 27, 2010 04:27PM
>
>
> Hi
> i drive delivery truck and today only i ended up
> in the EZ Pass lane by mistake
> i had the cash with me but this "cop" insisted on
> taking the toll money and my papers and ended up
> charging me the 11.00$ and a ticket of 2 points.
>
> i cannot tell my employer what happened cause
> simply i will get fired, so i have to pay it
>
> im new in this area so please if any one have tip
> on how i can reduce the amount or even cancel this
> ticket please share the info with me.
> i cannot afford to spare 120$ and 2 points on my
> licence
MTA
Re: Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer
October 28, 2010 01:20PM
I thank you for your reply and the tip
I will fight it hopefully I can avoid it
sad how some police men treat people without humanity or beleive or trust
I was pushed to that lane due of road work and police man had 0% ability to understand the situation or even listen
he just said
yeah yeah every one say that.
November 03, 2010 05:09AM
I was also given a "Disobey Sign" ticket for crossing 2nd Ave on east 37th St. I am fighting this and pleaded "Not Guilty". My Hearing date and time is 04/27/2011 10:30am. The reason I am fighting this ticket is simply due to the fact that there is no "Do Not Enter" sign or "No Entry" sign anywhere on the corner of East 37th Street and 2nd Ave. This is an obvious trap for drivers since East 37th street is designated as one of the "Midtown Thru Streets Program" and as such, it is marked with large green DOT signs showing "BEST ROUTE TO CROSSTOWN". (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/images/motorist/best.jpg) If NYC wishes to prevent drivers from entering East 37th Street from the FDR drive/1st Ave approach, a clear large "No Entry" sign should have been placed at the corner of 37th street and 2nd Ave. (or "no entry from 7AM to 10AM) Drivers are "trained and "programmed" to read and obey signs with familiar symbols and markings, such as "Stop sign" and "do not enter" signs, placing a small sign with left arrow stating "must turn left 7AM to 10AM" does not constitute a legitimate traffic sign that anyone in the right mind will understand. We should all file a class action lawsuit against New York City D.O.T. for placing illegal sign as a trap on east 37th street.
Mattyt,

This is a 6-point ticket which carries roughly a $200 fine and a $300 driver assessment fee. Plus, a conviction to this ticket can result in your auto insurance being increased even with an otherwise clean record.

You definitely want to plead not guilty and fight it. If you are nervous or don't to even go to court, we can take care of it for you.

Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

mattyt Wrote:
> I received a ticket on interstate 81 in New York
> driving 86 in a 65.. A NY State Trooper pulled me
> over but before i even passed him he was already
> pulling out to stop me. I have never gotten a
> ticket before , no points on my license. The
> ticket does not state how much this will cost. I
> was also wondering would it be likely that I can
> get a plea bargain. I do not know whether to plead
> guilty or not guilty as this is my first ticket. I
> do not know what i should say to the judge or how
> going to court even works. I'm nervous and do not
> know what to do. Please help me.. Thank you
Johnathan
November 03, 2010 11:35PM
Hello, and what a helpful service you're providing!

I was pulled over doing 55 with a 40mph speed limit on Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook, NY. I've got a squeaky clean driving record. I'm not sure if I should plead guilty or not because I hear that the Lynbrook Village Court does plea bargains. Ideally, I'd pay the fine, get no points, learn my lesson, and move on with my life...
Pat
November 06, 2010 02:09PM
I was stopped and ticketed for Disobeying a Traffic Control Device (violation 1110A) for turning right where the officer said a "NO Right" turn sign was present (Bowery St). Obviously I didn't see it and neither did the 3 cars they had pulled over prior to me who were also receiving tickets, but I did see traffic officers hiding on the side of the wall waiting for people to make that turn to run out in the street. I have never received any ticket before (except parking) and was a bit unhappy to see the charge of $130 plus the surcharge. I became more upset when I googled the violation and it seems that this specific block is notorious for pulling over cars - and it seems that unless the signs were blocked that it almost doesn't make sense to fight it. I can live with the fine (but the points and increase in car insurance payments) I'm not OK with - but I feel that I do not have a good defense. I'm a NJ resident and received the ticket in NYC, but just checking in to see what you would suggest. If I get points and have never had a violation before will my insurance stay the same - or should I reach out to the insurance company specifically? Any help would be much appreciated.
Jack,

As long as there were two such signs at the intersection, there was sufficient notice of the prohibition against making a left-hand turn. Universal signs (i.e., those without words but just symbols) are widely used and perfectly legal.

There may be other ways to beat a disobey traffic control device ticket, however. Feel free to call us for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

Jack Wrote:
> I was also given a "Disobey Sign" ticket for
> crossing 2nd Ave on east 37th St. I am fighting
> this and pleaded "Not Guilty". My Hearing date and
> time is 04/27/2011 10:30am. The reason I am
> fighting this ticket is simply due to the fact
> that there is no "Do Not Enter" sign or "No Entry"
> sign anywhere on the corner of East 37th Street
> and 2nd Ave. This is an obvious trap for drivers
> since East 37th street is designated as one of the
> "Midtown Thru Streets Program" and as such, it is
> marked with large green DOT signs showing "BEST
> ROUTE TO CROSSTOWN".
> (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/images/motorist/best.
> jpg) If NYC wishes to prevent drivers from
> entering East 37th Street from the FDR drive/1st
> Ave approach, a clear large "No Entry" sign should
> have been placed at the corner of 37th street and
> 2nd Ave. (or "no entry from 7AM to 10AM) Drivers
> are "trained and "programmed" to read and obey
> signs with familiar symbols and markings, such as
> "Stop sign" and "do not enter" signs, placing a
> small sign with left arrow stating "must turn left
> 7AM to 10AM" does not constitute a legitimate
> traffic sign that anyone in the right mind will
> understand. We should all file a class action
> lawsuit against New York City D.O.T. for placing
> illegal sign as a trap on east 37th street.
Jonathan,

Thanks for the compliment. I am happy to answer questions and educate New York drivers.

This is a 4-point speeding ticket which carries roughly a $200 fine. As long as you do not get any other moving violations or accidents within 18 and 36 months, you will not be subject to paying an extra penalty called the driver assessment fee and your insurance will not be raised, respectively.

Because you never know what will happen in the future, I nonetheless recommend pleading not guilty. The Lynbrook Village traffic court does plea bargain. Be prepared to pay a fine that night, however, as they do not give time to pay.

Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

Johnathan Wrote:
> Hello, and what a helpful service you're
> providing!
>
> I was pulled over doing 55 with a 40mph speed
> limit on Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook, NY. I've got
> a squeaky clean driving record. I'm not sure if I
> should plead guilty or not because I hear that the
> Lynbrook Village Court does plea bargains.
> Ideally, I'd pay the fine, get no points, learn my
> lesson, and move on with my life...
Pat,

Even if you didn't see the signs, if they were two posted at the intersection, then you are guilty. The fact that other cars committed the same violation is not helpful. This ticket carries 2 points in New York and New Jersey will also asses 2 points for this ticket (if you are convicted).

If you have an otherwise clean license, you're insurance may not go up. I suggest that you speak to your NJ insurance company to check.

With that said, there ways to beat a disobey traffic control device ticket, however. Feel free to call us for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

Pat Wrote:
> I was stopped and ticketed for Disobeying a
> Traffic Control Device (violation 1110A) for
> turning right where the officer said a "NO Right"
> turn sign was present (Bowery St). Obviously I
> didn't see it and neither did the 3 cars they had
> pulled over prior to me who were also receiving
> tickets, but I did see traffic officers hiding on
> the side of the wall waiting for people to make
> that turn to run out in the street. I have never
> received any ticket before (except parking) and
> was a bit unhappy to see the charge of $130 plus
> the surcharge. I became more upset when I googled
> the violation and it seems that this specific
> block is notorious for pulling over cars - and it
> seems that unless the signs were blocked that it
> almost doesn't make sense to fight it. I can live
> with the fine (but the points and increase in car
> insurance payments) I'm not OK with - but I feel
> that I do not have a good defense. I'm a NJ
> resident and received the ticket in NYC, but just
> checking in to see what you would suggest. If I
> get points and have never had a violation before
> will my insurance stay the same - or should I
> reach out to the insurance company specifically?
> Any help would be much appreciated.
November 07, 2010 08:53AM
hello, my name is james i have been losing sleep over something that took place two days ago. i was pulled over in farmingdale n.y. for failure to stop at a stop sign once pulled over i was so nervous i handed the cop my temp insurance card. the idiot i am i had the real one right in my lexus manual. what do i do about getting that waved? now in nys i believe you are on probation for 6 months any moving violations suspends your license for 60 days is this true? if so how do i not get it suspended? go to court and plea not guilty? but in nassau county do i have to meet with the cop?pr justt a meeting with the da. also i got this new form of a ticket a computer print out. its so confusing. if he originally gave me a break on something else but put it under addit info that does not mean im getting charged of it does it? i have so many questions! mainly what do i do to not get my license suspended. if i plea not guilty can they knock it down to a parking so when it gets sent to dmv i wont get the suspension? please if you could reply i need help asap!
November 10, 2010 11:48AM
Hello,
My name is Natalie, today I was pulled over by a unmarked NYS cop for talking on the phone, the ticket is $180, I am a 4th year college student, Criminal Justice major, My license is clean and would like to keep it that way. I was on my way to a class trip to the Queens Supreme Court and needed directions there and I had just picked the phone up. I'm wondering what would happen if I try to plea bargain? i know my friend told me he got the same ticket in New Jersey and he plead innocent and was told all he had to do was buy a blue tooth and show up to court is that true in New York as well?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 16