Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer

Posted by askanewyorker 
Re: Ask a New York Traffic Lawyer
October 05, 2010 03:06PM
Hi Matt,
today i was given a ridiculous ticket for crossing over 2nd ave on 37th street. from 7-10am you cant cross over from the the middle lane??

well anyway the officer spelled my name incorrectly...is this good for dismissal? adn how do i go about doing that? just go to John Street?

my name is GREGORY ROSENFELD

he spelled it... Rosenfield, Gregory

thanks!
October 06, 2010 08:18AM
Hi Matthew,

My question is similar to Hugo's. I was pulled over in Tappan, NY for 'disobeying a traffic device'. I turned right down a street and didn't see the sign that said no right turns between 7 and 9 am. The traffic cop said that I was going the wrong way down a one way street and he was doing me a favor by giving me the traffic device ticket. However, the street is not one way, even during rush hour, since there is no sign stopping people from turning left down that street coming from the other direction. Very confusing. I've never gotten a ticket in my life and I don't even know what the fine is or if there are points involved since it doesn't say on the ticket. Is this worth fighting or should I just plead guilty by mail and wait for them to tell me what the fine is?

Thanks.

Sharyn
JL,

This is a moving violation so you likely will want to fight it to keep your driving record as clean as possible (especially if you have any other convictions on your record within the last 36 months).

Feel free to email or fax us the ticket for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373
212-726-0135 fax
mjweiss@888redlight.com

JL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made a left turn out of shopping mall parking
> lot in White Plains NY. Made an
> illegal left turn not seeing the no left turn
> sign. A policewoman was waiting there to give
> tickets...my yicket says 2-radar. What do I do
> now?
Sharyn,

This is a 2-point moving violation so you likely will want to fight it to keep your driving record as clean as possible (especially if you have any other convictions on your record within the last 36 months).

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373
212-726-0135 fax
mjweiss@888redlight.com

Sharyn Wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> My question is similar to Hugo's. I was pulled
> over in Tappan, NY for 'disobeying a traffic
> device'. I turned right down a street and didn't
> see the sign that said no right turns between 7
> and 9 am. The traffic cop said that I was going
> the wrong way down a one way street and he was
> doing me a favor by giving me the traffic device
> ticket. However, the street is not one way, even
> during rush hour, since there is no sign stopping
> people from turning left down that street coming
> from the other direction. Very confusing. I've
> never gotten a ticket in my life and I don't even
> know what the fine is or if there are points
> involved since it doesn't say on the ticket. Is
> this worth fighting or should I just plead guilty
> by mail and wait for them to tell me what the fine
> is?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sharyn
Greg,

This is a 2-point moving violation called disobey a traffic control device so you likely will want to fight it to keep your driving record as clean as possible (especially if you have any other convictions on your record within the last 36 months).

The error in the spelling of your name will definitely not help you win. This minor spelling error is not a sufficient basis for dismissal at the Manhattan South Traffic Violations Bureau Court.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373
212-726-0135 fax
mjweiss@888redlight.com
greg Wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> today i was given a ridiculous ticket for crossing
> over 2nd ave on 37th street. from 7-10am you cant
> cross over from the the middle lane??
>
> well anyway the officer spelled my name
> incorrectly...is this good for dismissal? adn how
> do i go about doing that? just go to John
> Street?
>
> my name is GREGORY ROSENFELD
>
> he spelled it... Rosenfield, Gregory
>
> thanks!
OFF TRUCK ROUTE TICKET
October 10, 2010 12:06PM
Hi i need help i just got a ticket for off truck route in quees new york i dont want to fight it i want to pay it but i dont know how much it is>

can any one tell me how much it cost it is the firs offense.
please email me at kysersnigg@optonline.net
October 10, 2010 07:38PM
I was ticketed for driving 72 mph in a 50 mph zone on 295 heading towards the Throgs Neck Bridge from the LIE. My car is registered in NJ (and I have NJ plates), but the officer wrote "NY" as the registered state. Is this enough to get the ticket dismissed? any advice is much appreciated.
Re: OFF TRUCK ROUTE TICKET
October 11, 2010 07:26AM
Robert,

This is a 2-point ticket. If you have an otherwise clean license (other other convictions or accidents within the last 36 months), then it is okay to just pay it. The fine and surcharge is around $150 to $200.

Otherwise, feel free to call us for a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

robert geman Wrote:
> Hi i need help i just got a ticket for off truck
> route in quees new york i dont want to fight it i
> want to pay it but i dont know how much it is>
>
>
> can any one tell me how much it cost it is the
> firs offense.
> please email me at kysersnigg@optonline.net
Mark,

This is a bad ticket. It carries 6 points in NY, subjects you to the $300 driver assessment fee and can increase your auto insurance rates. This ticket will transfer to your NJ license and carries 2 points in New Jersey.

The mistake on your state of registration is NOT enough for you to win. A judge will not dismiss this ticket based on this type of minor error.

Feel free to call us for a free consultation. I believe we can save you points and avoid the $300 extra fee.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373

Mark Wrote:
> I was ticketed for driving 72 mph in a 50 mph zone
> on 295 heading towards the Throgs Neck Bridge from
> the LIE. My car is registered in NJ (and I have NJ
> plates), but the officer wrote "NY" as the
> registered state. Is this enough to get the ticket
> dismissed? any advice is much appreciated.
October 11, 2010 05:38PM
Hi - I got a ticket in lewistown, niagara county for doing 71 in a 55 zone. The state trooper came behind me but without flashing his lights and followed me for a bit. I was within the speed limit then. But he was tailing me too closely and I wanted to move in the right lane so I increased my speed to overtake the car to my right and that's when he pulled me over. He gave me a ticket, but there's no amount/points on it. I want to plead not guilty but I'm not sure I'll be ok to travel for the court date as I'm pregnant. I'm guessing I can't explain all this in a letter when I plead not guilty, can I?
Approximately how much do you think the fine would be? I've been reading that there are 4 points to drive 16 miles above the speed limit.
I would really appreciate it if someone would be able to give me some advice. I hold a PA license since 2002 and this is my second ticket. The first one being driving 5 miles above the speed limit (60 in a 55 zone) in PA itself - no points.
Thanks in advance
October 12, 2010 08:51AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would really appreciate some guidance.
Thanks.
Gemm,

This ticket carries 4 points in New York and roughly a $200 fine and surcharge. Points will not transfer to your PA license but a conviction will be reported to PA DMV and could impact your auto insurance rates. I therefore recommend fighting it. Therefore, plead not guilty.

If you cannot make it to court, you can hire an attorney to appear for you.

I hope this helps but feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Matthew Weiss
212-683-7373
mjweiss@888redlight.com

Posted by: Gemm (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 03:38PM

Hi - I got a ticket in lewistown, niagara county for doing 71 in a 55 zone. The state trooper came behind me but without flashing his lights and followed me for a bit. I was within the speed limit then. But he was tailing me too closely and I wanted to move in the right lane so I increased my speed to overtake the car to my right and that's when he pulled me over. He gave me a ticket, but there's no amount/points on it. I want to plead not guilty but I'm not sure I'll be ok to travel for the court date as I'm pregnant. I'm guessing I can't explain all this in a letter when I plead not guilty, can I?
Approximately how much do you think the fine would be? I've been reading that there are 4 points to drive 16 miles above the speed limit.
I would really appreciate it if someone would be able to give me some advice. I hold a PA license since 2002 and this is my second ticket. The first one being driving 5 miles above the speed limit (60 in a 55 zone) in PA itself - no points.
Thanks in advance
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 10