First time to New York, not much time but willing to see everything ^^

Posted by Fromage 
First time to New York, not much time but willing to see everything ^^
April 05, 2009 09:44AM
Hello everybody!

Next month, I will go on my first every trip to the US and I will stay a couple of days in New York City. I already did some research on the net to find some stuff to do with my mother, but I am still looking for some cool shops where I can find “special” things one cannot find in Europe…
I am staying in a hotel near central park.

I’m especially interested in historical clothing (Original and reproductions, anything between 1880 and 1950, especially Victorian stuff). Is there a shop with friendly staff that could deal with my weird taste? I heard that NY is THE place to be for people who are looking for something special. I would also be interested in costume museums and such.

I also intend to go out and see something of NY nightlife. As I will be alone (my mum is not coming, ofcoursee ^^), I am also looking for a nice place to party, dance, settle down, have a drink (I’m 25, so not to worry ^^) and meet people who do not mind chatting with some stupid tourists, answering their stupid questions.

Thank you for your answers!

Catherine, Switzerland.
[www.mcny.org]

[www.fitnyc.edu]

[www.metmuseum.org]

Do any of those links help you out with the 'fashion' portion of your questions?

Have fun while you are here, and don't worry, you're not 'stupid'!!
Re: First time to New York, not much time but willing to see everything ^^
April 09, 2009 09:26AM
I used to know 3 victorian costume stores, but they've closed due to high rents. I'd ask the staff at the costume museums, to see if they know anyone selling out of their private collections.

The FIT museum is free, but the Costume Institute at the Met is closed right now. Here is a person in NY who retrofits antique lace to period wedding gowns, by appointment [agreenbride.com]
She may know of stores you can visit by appointment.

Sadly, the wonderful exhibit on English Embroidery at the Bard Graduate Center (by Central Park @ 77th) closes on Sunday [www.bgc.bard.edu] but there is a super free exhibit at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center (till May 2) of costumes for the theatre and dance by women designers from the 19th century to modern times. I spent hours there, and there are lots of proto-Victorian and Edwardian costumes. [www.nypl.org]

You can try to visit the TDF Costume Collection (Theatre Development Fund, the people who sell the discount theatre tickets in Times square) [www.tdf.org]
TDF Costume Collection
601 West 26th Street, Suite 325
Monday – Friday 9am-5:30pm
(212) 989-5855
or
[uffnervintage.blogspot.com]
or try other Costume stores - who rent for movies and stage:
[www.costumelocator.com]
April 16, 2009 10:13AM
Hi again,

Thank you SO MUCH for all the information, links and addresses you gave me. I fear that tree days will not be remotely enough to discover all the places,museums and collections, but I hope to see just SOME of those amazing things...

I will write some mails and try to get some appointments!

THANKS again for your answers,

Kate.
go google Lucky Cheng's it's a chinese restaurant in Manhattan that's famous. Although not for the food, but the wait staff is quite amusing.
April 26, 2009 01:20PM
Lucky Cheng - Ok, will check this out on google maps.

...But normally, when I come to a country, I want to try the local food...oh...but what is "tpyical" for NY?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 13