tenement museum

Posted by A Buell 
tenement museum
March 27, 2009 12:43PM
Is the Tenement Museum worth a visit on our next trip to New York? It doesn't sound like something that would be on most people's "must-see" list, but as they say, never judge a book by its cover. Is it worth a look?
Oracle?
Re: tenement museum
March 27, 2009 02:03PM
I haven't been since they divided it into two, now three, separate tours. I really enjoyed getting a view of the life my grandparents lived. We saw three or four apartments, and a lot of the time was spent listening to the docent who described the families and their lives. The Tenement Museum is not much of a "hidden treasure" anymore, though. In fact, it became so popular that they divided the one tour into three. So with only two apts. to see, the tour is basically standing in an apt. listening to the history. If you've got a great guide, it can be fascinating. I think kids would get very bored though. So, if you have a particular interest in the immigrant experience, it's worth it.
March 27, 2009 05:27PM
Thanks. I do have an interest in NY history so I might check it out. Don't have kids along, so that won't be a problem.
Oracle?
March 27, 2009 06:08PM
I found some further info for you on lower east side tours.

First is a blog that lists a lot of old-time LES landmarks:
[lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com]

And here's the visitors' page from the Lower East Side Business Improvement District (BID). It has info on a free weekly tour as well as a free self-guided podcast tour.
[www.lowereastsideny.com]

And for something completely different, take Rabbi Beryl Epstein's tour of Crown Heights' Chassidic Community. I did this last year and enjoyed it very much.
[www.jewishtours.com]

And, if you're doing the Tenement Museum tour, be sure to get tickets in advance, they do sell out:
[www.tenement.org]
March 28, 2009 11:53PM
I think the Tenement Museum is absolutely worth a look. I have been twice and enjoyed both tours, something I always recommend. When I took my mother, we walked around the neighborhood after the tour and found ourselves at "Katz deli"
had a great time.
Julie
March 29, 2009 11:31PM
If you have a keen interest in history, and appreciate the a one-of-a-kind time-capsule type experience, then go. I also have taken two different tours and for some, one might be enough to get the feel of it, but I found it all facinating. If you have ancestors who came through Ellis Island, then both should be on your Must See list.

Oracle - Thanks for the other resources...They're on my next trip list!
KT(akaDaisiegee etc)
March 30, 2009 06:04AM
I did the "Getting By" tour one summer and it was great BUT there were children there that were bored rigid. They provide you with hand held paper fans in warm weather but if I went again I'd take a battery operated one as it can get sweltering in there.
March 30, 2009 12:04PM
I loved it - if you take the 3 tours first, you get to see all the apartments, then you can come back for the 'interactive' experience if you want to have the dramatic view. It's a time capsule, so it's quite a unique experience, especially with all the changes in the LES in the past few years. Most of the boarded up tenements are now boutique hotels and condos.
March 30, 2009 12:45PM
Thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated. Looking forward to coming in May.
October 16, 2010 05:23PM
I finally went to the tenement museum today, did "the Moores" tour, and it was pretty good, glad I finally went. Definately do get tickets in advance on the website, the tours were all sold out when I arrived there so glad I had my tickets already.
The shop there is a great place to buy all sorts of new york books, fiction and nonfiction, and kids books too. [www.tenement.org]
I wouldn't bring young kids, there was one on my tour getting very impatient, understandably.
Oracle?
October 17, 2010 03:54PM
I'm so glad you finally made it. I wish they would go back to doing the building as one tour, so you're not standing around in a couple of rooms the whole time.
October 17, 2010 04:20PM
yes, the whole house instead of just a couple rooms would've been better.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 3