Empire State Building

Posted by deadeye 
Empire State Building
March 18, 2009 06:26AM
Do folks from NYC consider the Empire State Building a piece of history, or an amusement park ride? I visited the building over the xmas holidays and although I was thrilled with the view from the observatory, I was very disappointed by the rest of the experience. I was in a line from the time I got into the building until the time I got to the observatory and although I fully expected a line, I was not expecting to be blindly led from point A to point B with no explanation as to where I was or what I was seeing. I understand that the ESB is going through renovations that will remedy some of the issues for future visitors but that doesn’t help me. Where on-line can I go to get the best tour of the building? The ESB website has a virtual tour that is simply a picture book. I was hoping to find some kind of 3D tour that shows what’s in the building ans some of the more interesting features. I imagine for security reasons they must keep this data to a minimum but is there anything you can point me to so that I don’t have such a sour taste in my mouth about the experience?

Also, any advice to make my next trip a better experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Oracle?
Re: Empire State Building
March 18, 2009 09:27AM
Obviously the view from the ESB is spectacular. And the deco building is magnificent. But until you finally get up to the top, it's an ordeal. The folks who run the observatory really could upgrade the entire experience for visitors. The last time I went, we were herded through endless lines beginning in the hideous basement. The staff barked orders as though we were unruly school children. I agree, it's not pleasant.

Since the Top of the Rock Observatory reopened, I've been waiting for the ESB staff to pick up some pointers from the way their staff treat visitors. They're cheerful, helpful, and mindful of the fact that it should be a pleasant experience. I guess the joy hasn't caught on yet over at the ESB.

So, next time you're here, go to the Top of the Rock instead. Go during daylight, when the view is best -- particularly of Central Park's great expanse.
March 18, 2009 10:05AM
The honest truth is that folks from NYC consider the Empire State Building to be an office building. We folks who work in the building consider the tourists/visitors to be an obstacle to our getting in and out of our place of employment, or grabbing that coffee and a roll for breakfast, quickly.

Aside from the observatory, the rest of the building is given over to mostly small firms. I doubt if there is anything interesting to see or hear about apart from the lobby and the observatory.
March 18, 2009 05:06PM
Go to the Tourist Bureau at Times Square and pick up little discount wallet sized cards ( a new promotion) for $2 off the Top of the Rock tour. You can also get $5 (5!) off the CIrcle Line tour. Give them out to friends. The Top of the Rock LOOKS at the ESB - and it's much cleaner. The ESP is just an office building with an iconic top - same as the Crysler. Go check out the lobby of the Crysler too - great murals.

[WeddingsofNewYork.com]
[elopenewyork.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 9